UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharger setup - What should I know that I probably don't!

Old 09-03-2012, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger setup - What should I know that I probably don't!

So I've just bought Steves TTS supersport kit after seeing the ad on Friday, I'd had a few beers and bought it

Now I've been looking at doing this ever since buying the car, so already knew the kit was a good one. I've also already got a Flashpro on the car.

I'm wondering what other parts I'll need, and also what kind of things I should consider when taking the car in to be setup. Any pointers please? I'll be using the car as a weekend fun road car and track days 6-7 times a year. I am thinking 400bhp seems an achievable figure to aim for and not too excessive to be tearing other parts of the car apart.

Parts, this is what I am aware of at the minute:
New map sensor
Engine torque damper or stiffer engine mounts?
Uprated diff mounts?
Clutch. I read standard is ok with an uprated ACT pressure plate. Thoughts?
I may swap my DMS 65 manifold for the 76mm one. The car has a 70mm decat and exhaust fitted and I want to keep that as the exhaust isn't too loud.

Fitting and tune:
Anything I should be thinking of asking for in particular?
I've read that you can remove the restrictor on the charger. I am right that this is in place to help with power/torque lower down. Should I have it fitted or not?
Dump valve, is there as way of having a recirculating one fitted like on a turbo, I want to keep the car quite stealthy

There must be heaps of stuff I'm not aware of, so any advice would be great.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dumpvalve, unless i'm missing something, i don't think superchargers worked like that...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Coldfuse
Dumpvalve, unless i'm missing something, i don't think superchargers worked like that...
I wasn't sure if that was the right term, in the TTS vids they have some sort of valve releasing boost when coming off throttle...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:18 AM

From what i remember the supercharger is chain driven from the engine itself which is why its more responsive than a turbo. I can't imagine where you would get a recirculating valve in.

I can understand why turbos need them so they don't in turn take long to spool up.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:19 AM
Community Organizer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spark plugs - 1 step colder.

Clutch - depends on what you want - I opted for an SOS sports clutch which is slightly lighter than the OEM one as I didn't want to have a left leg like Arnie

Don't know any thing about Flash Pro so not sure if you need a wideband sensor or AFR gauge - if you do I have a spare AEM AFR gauge & O2 sensor
Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by zzkamikazezz
I'm wondering what other parts I'll need

Parts, this is what I am aware of at the minute:
New map sensor
Engine torque damper or stiffer engine mounts?
Uprated diff mounts?
Clutch. I read standard is ok with an uprated ACT pressure plate. Thoughts?
I may swap my DMS 65 manifold for the 76mm one. The car has a 70mm decat and exhaust fitted and I want to keep that as the exhaust isn't too loud.

Fitting and tune:
Anything I should be thinking of asking for in particular?
I've read that you can remove the restrictor on the charger. I am right that this is in place to help with power/torque lower down. Should I have it fitted or not?
Dump valve, is there as way of having a recirculating one fitted like on a turbo, I want to keep the car quite stealthy
Don't think you will need a new map sensor, I am still using an OEM one.
ETD is nice but not essential
Diff mounts are fine.
I had to change my clutch and went for an ACT. Whilst changing the clutch you may want to do the flywheel at the same time.

You can worry about removing the restrictor on the charger at a later date, you will need a re-tune and possibly some other upgrades ...
Yes you can have the dump valve recirculating to stop the whoosh noise
Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Coldfuse
From what i remember the supercharger is chain driven from the engine itself which is why its more responsive than a turbo. I can't imagine where you would get a recirculating valve in.

I can understand why turbos need them so they don't in turn take long to spool up.
Yep I understand the theory for a turbo, a bit confused on a supercharger though...
Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by eSeM
Don't think you will need a new map sensor, I am still using an OEM one.
ETD is nice but not essential
Diff mounts are fine.
I had to change my clutch and went for an ACT. Whilst changing the clutch you may want to do the flywheel at the same time.

You can worry about removing the restrictor on the charger at a later date, you will need a re-tune and possibly some other upgrades ...
Yes you can have the dump valve recirculating to stop the whoosh noise
Thanks very much for the info. Regarding the restrictor, is it not just worth having it off now then? I think Steve is already running with it off. What other upgrades could be needed here then?

Regarding MAP sensor, do you not need a new one after a certain amount of PSI? I'm very new to all this.

I've a super light SOS flywheel to stick on when doing the clutch
Old 09-03-2012, 04:28 AM

You need Map sensor if you are boosting over 10psi

Steve setup was set with the restrictor, you can remove them but you will need 1000cc injectors setup.

Yes you need Engine mount and diff mount ideally.

clutch you can go for ACT, they are same weight as OEM but can handle 500bhp.

The Kit we fitted to Steve one come with recirculating valve, if you want we can convert it to dump valve setup but it won't give you anymore power by converting this.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:30 AM

I agree, you won't need a map sensor,you will possibly but not necessarily need a clutch upgrade, the Bov makes more of a bang than a whoosh, mine did anyway.The exhaust will be noisy. I had a 62mm with a decat and it was ear bleeding, I changed to a 70 mm and it was still noisy.I don't know about the restrict or as I didnt run mine long enough to think about it.

You will be glad you didn't change it for a Tvr, you will love it, enjoy

Quick Reply: Supercharger setup - What should I know that I probably don't!