UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.
View Poll Results: Which do you currently buy...
Super Unleaded (98+)
84.44%
Premium Unleaded (95)
15.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Swapping From Super To Premium Unleaded

Old 04-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swapping From Super To Premium Unleaded

Hey!

I was filling up my s2k and noticed I the price of Super (vpower) was now £1.43 per liter (from one of the cheapest Shell garages in Manchester). We all know the s2000 will run on both premium (95) and super (98) but I've always run mine on super (I work from home so don't do more than 6000 miles per year). After paying £51 for just under 2/3 of a tank I started thinking:

At what price point will I decide super is no longer justified and instead fill it up with unleaded...

I'm interested to know who's already made the switch, I thought a poll might be a good idea.

Most say/believe that super returns better mpg so the price is offset but this is debatable IMO when the cost of super is now getting so high.

I'm just thankful the s2k is relatively economical

Would you rather sell your s2k than fill it with premium?

Discuss
Old 04-28-2011, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest, if times were so bad that I 'seriously' thought about the few pence difference between the two, I'd buy a cheap diesel and sell the S. You can think of it in lots of ways. The money that I've just spent on new wheels, tyres and air intake would run the S for a year or so at least.

Chad.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:34 PM

I do about 1200 miles a month in mine, and I have run it on v-power since I've owned it (I have every fuel receipt to prove ) I have to agree with Chad, In the past month I have bought a Mugen exhaust and a K&N FIPK..... so i'd look a bit daft if I said I couldnt afford the petrol.
Dont get me wrong, the price is absolutely shocking, and pretty much double what I paid when first started driving..... but what can I do..... I have always loved cars, and always will.... if filling up keeps getting more expensive, I shall make sacrifices elsewhere
Old 04-28-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The price difference for Momentum over Tesco normal unleaded was 5p when I filled up earlier, meaning I spent a whopping £2 more when I filled up from nigh on empty earlier.

When I can't afford an extra £2 I think it'll be time to sell up and buy myself a freddie flinstone mobile!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:58 PM

this is exactly it - the car runs so much better on 98, that whilst 151p (as I paid in wilmslow last weekend) is horribly expensive, it was only 4p per litre more than standard UL. If a couple of quid on a tank is a problem, I'll not buy the can of coke when I go into the shop to pay for it!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You might find changing from Super to Standard is a false economy...

And I agree with Chad.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as i'm concerned all fuel is expensive so I don't mind paying the little extra to buy v-power.
Premium may be 6-7p cheaper but it won't take long for it to go up by that amount.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

The maths is simple, you'll get around 30 extra miles per tank using super thats 5 litres worth(ish) £1.40 x 5 = £7 worth of miles, now ordenary juice is say 5p cheaper so a 50 litre fill up .05 x 50 = £2.50 so by using Super you are saving............

£4.50.

I belive this is whats called a no brainer.

AND IT GOES BETTER AS WELL!

For those with a few petrol stations in their area-

http://www.petrolprices.com/

Sign up (it's free & no spam) and you can put in up to 3 post codes they will e-mail you each day/week with the best prices within 5 miles of the post codes. On their website you can put in a postcode and get stations within 20 miles.

P.S. I use Tesco 99RON whenever I can.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Contraversial, but if your 02 sensor is quite old, you can pick up a few mpg by putting a new one in. Or buying an ECU which you can map and lean the fuelling out a bit

Same with checking tyre pressures, not using AC, removing all junk, keeping your windows up.

But f@#k that!

Forget fuel, stick SUL in an enjoy it while you still can.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:54 AM

Last two surveys ( I think which and AA) got no extra MPG
Car runs better and stays cleaner internally so it's VPower every fill up
I think Tesco super premium came out best for improved MPG on the few cars that showed any gain.
I know it's expensive but for me it's about the same % of disposable monthly income now as it was when I first started driving to tank the car, I think the beer to fuel ratio ( £ spent not liters consumed) is swinging away from beer as I get older keeping my wallet balanced

Quick Reply: Swapping From Super To Premium Unleaded