UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tax disc - nearly got it nicked

Old 07-31-2002, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tax disc - nearly got it nicked

Parked the S in a Camberley car park yesterday. Only just dashing to collect a something from a shop, so didn't put the top up. Nothing else on view though.
Came back, after maximum four minutes, to see some tea-leaf fiddling at the near-side edge of my windscreen. Shouted out some non-polite remarks and the guy ran off - fortunately (!) dropping the tax-disc that had been his target.
Wonder if this has happened to others, and if so, what's the best means to guard against it?
I guess this is one reason why other countries have their discs firmly fixed to the licence plate.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:15 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

What exactly is a tax disk? A pass for toll roads? I've seen it mentioned many times.
Old 07-31-2002, 11:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Muz
What exactly is a tax disk? A pass for toll roads? I've seen it mentioned many times.
All cars in the UK have to pay a road tax / duty. This used to be a flat fee for all cars, but is now banded depending on engine 'efficiency' (the S is about
Old 07-31-2002, 11:54 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I keep a photocopy of the disc to help with replacement.

Halfords used to sell a holder that caused the disc to be destroyed in removing it. Might be worth a look. If I see one I'll let you know.

I coat my disc with Sarin in its cover. Helps to keep the pond life under control.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gaddafi
[B]I coat my disc with Sarin in its cover.
Old 08-01-2002, 12:57 AM

Thanks Tif, I'll have a look in Halfords.
Old 08-01-2002, 01:47 AM
tnt

The alloy tax disk holder is made by a company called Richbrook. (Web Site ). You can get it from Halfords or buy them online at SPEEDING.CO.UK

It is held on by a few clear sticky pads so is probably easy to remove. After this thread I may consider using something a little less forgiving.

Here's what my experiences of fitting the holder have told me:
  • Put the tax disk in the holder before fixing to the screen - obvious really. I didn't, so had to go through the palvour of unscrewing the back and screwing it back on again after I'd fitted the holder to the windscreen.
  • Put the holder on the windscreen so that one of the allen screw heads on the front of the holder is at 12.00 (this means the Richbrook name on the back of the holder will be horizontal)
  • Before fixing to the screen, hold the holder up against the windscreen and get it in the correct position. Mark the position of the 5 allen bolt heads on the front of the windscreen using a dry marker pen. This means when you do stick the holder to the screen you get it in the right poistion first time.
  • I used all 6 pads provided with the holder to a) fit the shape of the windscreen and b) stop the damn thing falling off
  • Put one sticky pad on each of the front allen screw heads and put the sixth pad on the screw head that will be at about 7.30.
  • Buy a spare set of pads since you may need to move the holder to another S2000
  • When you come to replace the tax disc, use a small allen key you can get for a cordless screwdrive (they come on a standard 6mm fitting - if you get my meaning). It's easier to manipulate in the confined space between the windscreen and dashboard than a normal allen key.
  • To help ensure the tax disk itself is straight use a small piece of blue tack to hold the disk in place on the back of the holder.
It took me a long time to fit it, get it in the right position and stop it falling off but it was worth the effort.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:05 AM

Originally posted by tnt

It is held on by a few clear sticky pads so is probably easy to remove.
I assume the holder is fitted to the outside of the windscreen? If so, what is to stop a villain wrenching the whole thing off?
Old 08-01-2002, 02:07 AM
tnt

The holder is fitted to the inside of the windscreen so normally, top-up ,there shouldn't be any security worries. However, top-down and you have easy access.
Old 08-01-2002, 02:11 AM

astage, didn't the alarm go off ?

If anyone even leans too far over my car to look inside it starts screaming and screaming at them.

Quick Reply: Tax disc - nearly got it nicked