UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tein Monoflex Coilovers

Old 02-04-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Monoflex Coilovers

Right, since IE crashed on me, I lost my initial post and don't really feel compelled to write it again!

I'll try and keep it brief!

Took the H&R off and had to compare them to the Tein in order to get a height comparison.

Now, the H&R have helpers all round, whereas the Tein kit had them on the rear only.

In my infinite wisdom, because Ron knows best, I decided to remove the rear helper springs from the tein, thinking that i'd get the rear low enough by adjusting the Fork perch.

So, the following settings for the Tein:

Front:
Spring collars = 4 turns of preload
Fork perch = 10 turns Anti-clockwise (3/4") from minimum ride height
Result = 1" arch/wheel gap (50% worn 215/40/17s)

Rear:
Spring collars = 4 turns of preload (No helper springs)
Fork Perch = 0 turns. Minimum ride height
Result = 1.5" arch wheel gap (80% worn 245/3517s

The front seems spot on really, but the rear is too high..... again.

Still miles lower than stock.

Plan of action will be to fit the rear helper springs so I can drop the back down.

I'll try and get it so that it has the same 1" gap as the front. With any lick, the spring sag will take it down another 8-10mm, leaving a perfect gap.

Either way, i'm going to have to wait until I can get some miles on them before going for a new set of rear tyres and a fresh geo.

So, whaddo they feel like?

Well, compared to the H&R, not much different.

Bearing in mind I have only gotten upto a maximum speed of 30mph around the estate as the car has no tax/MOT?insurance.

They have been set to maximum stiffness and I like the feel. They are stiffer than the H&R, but not by a lot.

The ride feels great - nice and firm, but I know I could go for something even firmer. People who have baulked at the HKS Hipermax III....after an initial drive of the teins, I really don't think that would be overkill at all.

Both the H&R and the Tein feel MILES better that the sloppy OEM dampers.

Sure, for ride, OEM, for anything else - the two units here are much better. You know you can depend on them, even from the initial test with the Tein.

Current snapshot is that I don't think these will offer much over the H&R in terms of the over all picture. H&R better on b-road, Tein better on track.

However, personally, I prefer the harsher ride, whioch, incidently, isn't that harsh at all!

Some pics:

All comments welcome
Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking good pal, need some pics of the drop with wheels on

Hey the toolbox, if someone try's to steal whack them with a wrench
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At last!

I tried playing with the rake, and found a nose down attitude more to my liking Ron, see what you think.

Measured at the sills / jack points I have a degree or so nose down.
There is less weight transfer under braking as the fronts already loaded, and nose down at speed (AofA) is a nicer motorway or high speed drive to me.

I believe the helpers are there to prevent the springs unloading at full piston stretch, keeping everything more controlled.
They are also possibly to do with the German TUV approvals?
Interesting about damping too. The TEIN are about 10KG springs like the KWv3 are they not?
I have backed off on mine, lots very little control but gained comfort.

Nice work Sir!
Steve.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 PM

TBH, the drop looks a lot like yours.

Due to the lower profile of tyre I have, I will be getting ~0.5" of extra arch gap, whilst being 0.5" lower to the floor.

I will get some pics of the drop when I have it out next for re-adjustment.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr,Feb 4 2009, 11:03 PM
I believe the helpers are there to prevent the springs unloading at full piston stretch, keeping everything more controlled.
Exactly the reason for them!

I just thought that I could get away with out them, bymoving up the spring collar to meet the standard spring.

Yes, no problems other than the ride height is too much.

So I will have to introduce the helpers in order to get the car lower.

My H&R had a nose down attitude. TBH, I think they were a bit too nose down! Will go for something a bit more subtle this time.

Thanks for the comments - really can't wait to give them a proper bench test!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:39 PM

hmmm, our cars are now similar enough to do a reasonable comparison of Tein and Nitron, course you can't drive my car and I can't drive yours but I'm convinced there's something worth investigating here.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:47 PM

The Fast & The Furious?

Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 AM

Hey Ron; Have you fitted the EDFC?
Old 03-07-2009, 08:48 AM

No, haven't fitted the EDFC...

However....

I went for a proper drive yesterday and found out some things.

1st - the ride isn't that bad at all. Sure, it's stiffer than stock but it really isn't that bad!

2nd - I can see why 10kg/mm is too high for UK roads. I was following my mate in a B18C'ed EK4 Civic, and I had to back off at 90 leptons as the car became quite flighty. The B-road was a smooth dry one BTW. This would DEFINITELY not have happend with the H&Rs.

3rd - This leads me onto the EDFC. MAYBE, just MAYBE it would be beneficial to have one. I still think that the prodominance of the spring rate is the limiting factor here, although tha damping may offer me some options.

4th - Actual car performance. Wow. Just wow. It's the turn in and the controllability of the rear end. It's like the standard car but super defined. You turn in and there is just zero understeer. The rear end wants to turn in on corner entry too. Not manic D1 style, but enough to really inspire confidence.

With the R888s on and a new geo setup, I should be sorted for summer!
Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Hypersonik,Mar 7 2009, 05:48 PM
I can see why 10kg/mm is too high for UK roads. I was following my mate in a B18C'ed EK4 Civic, and I had to back off at 90 leptons as the car became quite flighty.
It doesn't happen with the KWv3 either.

Try backing off on the rebound damping.

Quick Reply: Tein Monoflex Coilovers