UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

There is a lake in my boot

Old 12-11-2013, 03:46 PM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

Think the lights are a different issue tbh, put some insulation tape on the suspect area top water channel to light unit area to asses.If prob goes will take lights out and seal them better.
also scrubbed bottom seal rubbers on the hood today,lots of Green in there

Think its insulation/sound proffing would not remove it,may drill a hole in the middle this would stop a potential rotten boot floor <and seal hole correctly with a grommet and pipe>

^^dont like the fish idea
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Toby Chippo found a nice wheel brush in Halfrauds which was effectively a loop of bristles on wire. he cut it and made a big pipe cleaner and stuck down the roof drains cleared them a treat and stopped the water

Failing that a nice little boat to go with the goldfish.

Mines always been dry and still is , but every time I wash the car i have always hosed the roof well and especially around and down the drains.

Try the POR15 paint system on the rot once you have sorted the leak and its dry.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:06 AM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Thanks Chip
POR15 seems the way to go. Have found a starter kit on ebay for £30.

I think the lining is just sound proofing so I'll chip this out first up to where the rust has taken hold.

Something to do now in the xmas break that doesnt involve stuffing myself stupid with left over Turley and watching TV re-runs
Old 12-13-2013, 06:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy - you'll probably need to remove a fair bit to get to the bottom of this.

My money is on the black surround behind the hood. Once the rubber inside gets old and brittle, it not only breaks down, partially blocking the drains, but is also no longer capable of directing water into the rain rail, then into the drains.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Then you need to add the bit about what a complete ARSE it is to fit a replacement
Old 12-16-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Andy , POR15 , don't get the paint on your hands , you will have it there for a week no messing !! but it does seem to also rot through latex gloves.

Cellulose thinners seems to work if its not yet dry

But under finger nails and in creases your stuffed, despite sitting in the bath for ages with a green scourer , you just look like you have grubby hands for a week until a layer of skin falls off .
Old 05-18-2014, 01:52 PM

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

So this weekend I finally decided to do something about this.

I cleaned out the drains on each side, but they seemed to be working fine. After spraying the car liberally over the softtop and the boot I finally managed to locate where the water was coming in. Its just a slow seepage from this point here:

close up shows the water seeping in:

So a liberal application of sealant in the spot and all up that seam seems to have stopped it. Have also treated the rust and painted the inside of the boot with KRust and she seems OK now. There are a few holes in the bottom of the boot but think I can get away with just applying some aluminium tape over them. I expect there'll be some shocked comments about my cowboy efforts but it will do for now. Of course the long term, and proper option will be to replace the metal. I'll see how it goes over the summer and decide on that later.

What I was wondering is does anyone know what's behind that seam and am I just locking the water in behind it so it can rust through from behind ?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:03 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2000
However there seems to be a hard plasticy lining in the bottom of the boot which I'd need to get off to get to all the affected metal. Anyone know what this is for ?
Hondas idea of sound proofing/deadening.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well done Andy

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by andy2000
close up shows the water seeping in:

So a liberal application of sealant in the spot and all up that seam seems to have stopped it. Have also treated the rust and painted the inside of the boot with KRust and she seems OK now. There are a few holes in the bottom of the boot but think I can get away with just applying some aluminium tape over them. I expect there'll be some shocked comments about my cowboy efforts but it will do for now. Of course the long term, and proper option will be to replace the metal. I'll see how it goes over the summer and decide on that later.

What I was wondering is does anyone know what's behind that seam and am I just locking the water in behind it so it can rust through from behind ?
That is where the water is entering the boot I grant you, but it is "getting in" somewhere else, it's just showing there.

Quick Reply: There is a lake in my boot