UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Timing Chain Help

Old 07-27-2015, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Help

Ladies and gents, thanks for reading. I need your help.

Last November I paid my local Honda dealership to examine and replace my TCT as it was making the classic noises. They did so and the problematic noises went away.
Excellent.

Until this month, when they came back.

So I took the car back to Honda and asked them to take a look - if the new TCT has broken in 7 months, I want a new one and I want it replaced for free. I should mention at this point the car has 69k miles and is a 52 plate. It runs PERFECTLY with no stutters, no flatspots, no trouble starting, nothing - just the TCT rattle on warm starts that disappear as soon as the revs increase. For clarity, this is a perfectly smooth running engine and it pulls as well as it always has.

Honda phoned me today telling me the chain has stretched and the timing has jumped 2 teeth so they want £1350 to replace it all as it's not their fault because the TCT hasn't failed.

To me this sounds like utter cow poop. If the timing was out by two teeth surely the car would run like crap? Or at least slightly bad at some point, instead of being as good as ever?
Also, even if this IS true - and I don't believe it is (unless I'm going to pick the car up tomorrow to find it's NOW running poorly...) - wouldn't this have been caused by a failing TCT leaving the chain slack, allowing the timing to jump? So isn't the situation caused by the failing TCT to begin with, and therefore still their problem?

There's no way in hell I can spend more than a month's wages swapping a chain that doesn't need changing when I paid them £400 seven months ago to fix the exact same problem.

So what do I do? Am I right about the timing? Am I right that the TCT failing could cause the timing to be out and therefore the chain to stretch? Or do I just have to suck it up and get out some spanners?

Thanks in advance, I'm picking the car up tomorrow (28th) in the afternoon so I'd like to go armed with something more than "you're talking out of your arse, let me see your manager".
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The carr wouldn't start if timing was out.

Buy a Ballade sports heavy duty TCT from USA. Solves the issue.

There's a diy to fix TCT somewhere on the forum. TCT ticking is normal and will cause no harm. More noticeable on a warm engine.

Do some research before employing a Honda dealership to undertake work, you will save a lot of money.

Regarda

Mike
Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Much depends on the work that was carried out last November.

Did they simply replace the TCT using the method described in this forum? Sounds like they might have given the relatively low cost (the part is around £250 and the rest would be labour). If that is the case, then the noise returning is pretty much par for the course, I'm afraid.
Do you have a copy of the invoice they gave you, as that would help to understand what has gone on?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:57 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

1) Take it to someone who knows what they are talking about NOT HONDA!
2) What oil are you using, it is critical to the life of the TCT.
3) Any decent engineer will be able to tell you if (very unlikely) if the chain had jumped.

Ask Mr Honda why symptoms of the "jumping chain" were not spotted when you donated £400 to them.

See the forum favourites thread and change the oil for one recommended there (Castrol edge or similar)and filter and have the TCT refurbished that is sand blasted and see if the noise goes away.
But first get the diagnosis and costing in writing so when you sort out the TCT you can ask Honda UK why one of their franchised dealers is trying to rip you off for replacing parts that are working fine.

And I think you are probably right, a case of muck spreading to relieve you of your notes.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basically the TCT has failed again and they're trying to grab some money from me instead of replacing it under warranty?
I'll have a look for the invoice but I moved house so it's not going to be easy. As far as I'm aware they just stuffed a new one in there - I didn't ask or expect them to do anything more.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:59 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by richmc
That's utter rubbish. Come on Rich, you know better than that.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:00 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by SamuthNBS
So basically the TCT has failed again and they're trying to grab some money from me instead of replacing it under warranty?
I'll have a look for the invoice but I moved house so it's not going to be easy. As far as I'm aware they just stuffed a new one in there - I didn't ask or expect them to do anything more.
That sounds like what is going on, but it's difficult to help you without knowing the facts. The dealer will be able to provide you with one if you can't find the old one.

This from the Forum Favourites sticky give a nice summary of the options, including doing what the dealer is suggesting: https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__23173842
Old 07-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1438030638' post='23694725

That's utter rubbish. Come on Rich, you know better than that.
Oi! how many threads do you need to read where "thin" oil has been used and TCT's have failed, and a decent oil has quietened it down?
Old 07-27-2015, 01:03 PM
UK Moderator

Originally Posted by richmc
Oi! how many threads do you need to read where "thin" oil has been used and TCT's have failed, and a decent oil has quietened it down?
I know of plenty of cases where the finest oil has been used and it's happened then, so it's utter rubbish.
But, let's agree to disagree and carry on helping Samuth
Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1438030916' post='23694735

I know of plenty of cases where the finest oil has been used and it's happened then, so it's utter rubbish.
Are you saying the finest 5W40 or finest 5W30? I know what I'd use to help protect the TCT, you have your opinion LG just because mine is different from yours doesn't warrant you calling it rubbish, that's offensive.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Help