UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tire Pressure Sensing System

Old 10-31-2001, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensing System

Has anyone experience of tire pressure sensing systems on other cars?

Any good?

Or aftermarket systems?

After a run on the motorway today, I pulled onto some nice back roads. When I was vtec'ing on these roads the car was trying to pull off line a lot. I checked the tire pressures after letting the tires cool off, and the left rear was about 10psi low. No suprise about the handling change then. I'd checked about a week and a half ago...

So now I'm thinking I need to check pressures more often, or get some pressure sensors. I think I'll just check more regularly, but any thoughts welcome.

-Brian.
Old 10-31-2001, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brian,

check for a slow puncture in the rears. Id only had my car two weeks when I noticed it pulling quite severely left under acceleration, I thought the diff was screwed as it was fine when cruising, turned out to be a nail in the left rear. If you do a search for
Old 10-31-2001, 09:28 AM

I found a slow(ish) puncture in my rear near side at lunchtime today.

Off to Bracknell tyres tomorrow to give them
Old 10-31-2001, 09:55 AM

I have installed the Smartire sensors in both my street and track tires. They make it easy to monitor my tire pressures, which (as you have experienced) are important for everyday driving as well as track time.

To be honest, I'm a little lazy about checking pressures when I'm not autoxing, so the sensors help me a lot in situations such as a slow leak, especially since these low-profile tires make it hard to guess their inflation levels.

cal
Old 10-31-2001, 11:46 AM

I checked the weights of the clamp (a little over 4 oz.) and the sensor (a little over 1 oz.) on my postal scale. The clamp goes all the way around the wheel rim (looks like a water hose clamp), so as far a balance is concerned, you're mainly looking at the weight of the clamp mechanism itself plus the sensor.

What I should have mentioned in my previous post is, if you do decide to install the system and later need to have a tire (tyre ) puncture repaired, make sure the person doing the repair knows about the sensor. Because I had a repair done where I had the sensors installed, I assumed they'd take the minor precautions required when removing a tire. I was wrong, which is why right now I have the spares to weigh. They're going on the wheel tomorrow.

cal
Old 10-31-2001, 11:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone - I think I'll have a look at Smartire, if more for curiousity than anything else. I was glad that this loss of pressure happened in the dry. It was strange, and would worry me in wet conditions I think.

I took the car to the local tire place - I've a good relationship with them from ITR days and before. He reckoned he's fixed the problem liked the S2000 as well Nice, because he was a real fan of the ITR. I'll check the pressure in the morning, but I did another ~140 miles after the fix without any problems.

-Brian.