UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tired shocks and springs

Old 02-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Tired shocks and springs

As above, i've seen rebuild kits for the shocks which aren't priced too badly at all. What's the consensus on these, at 73k miles mine are starting to feel a little sluggish even if they're not dead enough to need replacing.

Is the factory damping suitable for lowering springs without fecking the ride up, catching on every speed bump going and does the handling improve at all or are we talking a purely cosmetic drop.

At 73k miles, is it likely to be as much a case of worn springs as tired shocks or does one component wear more quickly than the other?

The more I look at the cost of this, the better value GAZ look and yes, i've been out in a car fitted with them and in all honesty, I doubt i'd ever drive well enough or fast enough to use them to their fullest extent. The cornering speeds achieved were vomit inducing to a straight line speed junkie like me which is why i question whether I actually need them.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

73k, I think the whole lot will be fairly tired, but you can get them checked by someone like Chris at GC, WIM, DMS or TGM first just to make sure.

I think on my last S, it had all dropped by many many mm over 50k miles.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 PM

That explains a few things MB ... mine looks as low as some cars which are properly lowered, I suspect the weight in the boot is helping that. I've had them checked and they're not bouncing or anything so I think it's just tired.

I can barely get a finger between the rear tyres and the top of the arch

I do like the look of it without the tractor ride height which basically means I need to replace them with something that is the same height. I don't suppose there is an issue with getting GAZ / BC stuff and bucking the trend and not lowering it as far as it will go?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The sorts of cornering speeds you experienced in the car with coilovers can be pretty much matched by a car with an OEM setup - there's not a night and day difference.

Given that there are quite a lot of 2nd hand items lying around with lower miles, I'd explore that option first.

I would say that the shocks are more likely to be tired than the springs, although mine were looking pretty good at 98k miles.

As MB says, getting a "pro" to look at them, including measuring ride heights, would be a good first step.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by lovegroova,Feb 2 2011, 08:06 AM
The sorts of cornering speeds you experienced in the car with coilovers can be pretty much matched by a car with an OEM setup - there's not a night and day difference.

Given that there are quite a lot of 2nd hand items lying around with lower miles, I'd explore that option first.

I would say that the shocks are more likely to be tired than the springs, although mine were looking pretty good at 98k miles.

As MB says, getting a "pro" to look at them, including measuring ride heights, would be a good first step.
I suspect the skill of the driver was the main difference - massive massive fun and felt very safe but a different level of driving completely.

I'd had a quote from integrastella for a set of MY2005 30k mile stuff, worked out under £200 and in all honesty at 73k, getting another 40k out of the car would probably be good enough.

I'm pondering getting them from him and then sourcing some aftermarket springs to retain the ride height.

Basically for a non track day person, I'm trying to justify whether there is any point in going the extra mile for GAZ
Old 02-01-2011, 11:12 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Agree with Si on the second hand option being worth a look, especially on here where you can probably verify miles. I picked up a set for my car for £50 while I decide on coilover choices. Must be loads of low mileage ones sat in people's garages!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 PM

Time for a WTB then
Old 02-02-2011, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are on 70k but the ride height - by finger measuring arch gap - is 3 fingers at the rear and just over 2 at the front. Does this mean mine are still fairly fresh?

I'm starting to wonder if mine had been lowered at some point in it's life, then restored to OEM before sale. Especially as the buckets have gone.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 AM

I would say so - mine are definitely NOT fresh

The top of the rear tyres is almost in the arch on both sides.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Christ Fes, mine's a Land Rover compared to yours.

Quick Reply: Tired shocks and springs