UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Top ten convertibles....

Old 07-11-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by j8mie
Don't read the comments below
I'm going to sell my S and ride my bike instead
I've just been down the comments and flagged most of them as 'Inappropriate'
I in their general direction.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:27 PM
MSC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue monster
Didn't the S2000 score really high in the Top Gear / JD Power surveys at one point in time?
The S2000 was Top Gear car of the year for 2/3 years if I remember correctly
Old 07-11-2013, 09:39 PM

Don't read the comments below
I'm going to sell my S and ride my bike instead
Well I ride my bike to work 3 days and drive the s2k 2 days. The best of both worlds + I don't need a helmet in my s2k.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nezquick' timestamp='1373558055' post='22660255
Out of that "Top 10" there's only one i'd have and that's the S.

The only other sensible cheap convertibles are an MX5 or an MR2 IMHO.

I don't understand why that 6 series is on the list either - bet one of those would be a nightmare to own out of warranty. There's a reason it's cheap to buy!!
7k gets you a 2004 645. That's not a lot of cash for a lot of car. Like you said I bets the bills can get quite hefty on a car like that.

On a side point is that Magnum PI driving the Jag XK8
Wow I had no idea the 6 series was so cheap. Looks like people don't have much confidence in the 'ultimate driving machine'
Old 07-11-2013, 11:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 6 series is a huge car, bulky and ugly IMO
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by MSC
Originally Posted by blue monster' timestamp='1373530626' post='22659711
Didn't the S2000 score really high in the Top Gear / JD Power surveys at one point in time?
The S2000 was Top Gear car of the year for 2/3 years if I remember correctly
I don't think the team voted on it, only Clarkson championed the S2k. But in the survey they ran to the public it was the most satisfying car to own. That's not necessarily the most reliable, or best to drive but that offered the best ownership experience overall.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For some reason, with my car, I got a folder full of reviews from car magazines / printed from websites, which all basically say how amazing the S2000 is, how it's number 1 in their sports car / convertible etc choices blah blah blah. The folder of this material was a lot more extensive than the service history...

Yeah, that's all great having that with the car, but if I've already BOUGHT the thing - WHY do I need a folder full of documents telling me how good it is? I KNOW it's good - I bought the thing!
Old 07-11-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by bigbramble
Originally Posted by j8mie' timestamp='1373559894' post='22660334
[quote name='Nezquick' timestamp='1373558055' post='22660255']
Out of that "Top 10" there's only one i'd have and that's the S.

The only other sensible cheap convertibles are an MX5 or an MR2 IMHO.

I don't understand why that 6 series is on the list either - bet one of those would be a nightmare to own out of warranty. There's a reason it's cheap to buy!!
7k gets you a 2004 645. That's not a lot of cash for a lot of car. Like you said I bets the bills can get quite hefty on a car like that.

On a side point is that Magnum PI driving the Jag XK8
Wow I had no idea the 6 series was so cheap. Looks like people don't have much confidence in the 'ultimate driving machine'
[/quote]

We had a 6 series, the 635d. It was never an ultimate driving machine, it was unreliable, was in the dealer more than on the drive and when it was working the drive was vague, understeery, heavy and the compliance in the suspension was non existant.

For a lot less money, you can get a x308 Jaguar XJ8, which is far far better.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riknos
For some reason, with my car, I got a folder full of reviews from car magazines / printed from websites, which all basically say how amazing the S2000 is, how it's number 1 in their sports car / convertible etc choices blah blah blah. The folder of this material was a lot more extensive than the service history... Yeah, that's all great having that with the car, but if I've already BOUGHT the thing - WHY do I need a folder full of documents telling me how good it is? I KNOW it's good - I bought the thing!
Aaaah give the previous owner a break. He obviously loved EVERYTHING S2000 related and was just passing on the enthusiasm to you. I'd happily receive that with my car as its a good indication technology previous owner would have been anal of the car too. I wouldn't mind seeing all those reviews either tbh! Selling them? Or scanning them? I always buy a Brochure of every car I've owned as a momento too. I keep them though!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rhauri
Originally Posted by Riknos' timestamp='1373615345' post='22661780
For some reason, with my car, I got a folder full of reviews from car magazines / printed from websites, which all basically say how amazing the S2000 is, how it's number 1 in their sports car / convertible etc choices blah blah blah. The folder of this material was a lot more extensive than the service history... Yeah, that's all great having that with the car, but if I've already BOUGHT the thing - WHY do I need a folder full of documents telling me how good it is? I KNOW it's good - I bought the thing!
Aaaah give the previous owner a break. He obviously loved EVERYTHING S2000 related and was just passing on the enthusiasm to you. I'd happily receive that with my car as its a good indication technology previous owner would have been anal of the car too. I wouldn't mind seeing all those reviews either tbh! Selling them? Or scanning them? I always buy a Brochure of every car I've owned as a momento too. I keep them though!
DEFINITELY wasn't the previous owner - he knew NOTHING about the car. The one previous to him was a Welsh lady.. so perhaps it was the first owner? But yeah, it is interesting to read, although massively outdated

Quick Reply: Top ten convertibles....