UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Track based training

Old 08-12-2003, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track based training

In about two weeks we (myself and my gf) will be taking delivery of a lovely new S2000. Can't bloody wait!

Anyway, last night my gf mentioned to me that she is getting steadily more worried about the prospect of driving this rather fast, RWD car. Or, more specifically, she's worried about binning it the first time it rains!

In short, I am trying to find a 1 day, track based course in RWD handling that will improve her confidence and, ideally, let her have some fun too! Ideally, it will be using someone else's car ('cos she'll be very precious about her new baby) and be based in the north-west. I know that most fo you would just go on a track day and experiment, but this is a confidence building thing and therefore I am sure she would prefer someone (not me) to tell her what to do and let her experience some situations that may be new to her.

If it doesn't cost too much, I might go myself. Not that I need it, of course (cough).

Suggestions please gentlemen (and ladies)
Old 08-13-2003, 12:08 AM

look up the chaps who do the honda MAC course for the CTR, I am sure (for a fee) they would do a day for you and your lovely one
Old 08-13-2003, 12:13 AM

A number of people off here have attended the Motorsport Events academy day and have found it to be very useful. It's not specifically aimed at RWD cars, but it does provide a very useful understanding of basic car control, why the car does what it does in particular circumstances and generally on the need to and benefit of keeping things smooth.

Have a look at www.motorsport-events.co.uk and see when the next one is scheduled for.

Alternatively, if you're feeling a bit more flush (like
Old 08-13-2003, 12:16 AM

It's based at Bruntingthorpe, in the midlands, but I couldn't recommend Don Palmer more highly.
Do a search and you'll find a lot of reviews and other owner's experiences of Don and his teaching methods.

One warning though, if she does the course, she'll drive rings around you....
Old 08-13-2003, 12:22 AM

I did the MAC course and found it useful. But it is pretty much the same as a one day advanced driving course, i.e. teaches you anticipation, road positioning.

The Heyford Academy day is where my driving really improved. It was also a damn sight cheaper than the MAC course and you got to learn where the limits of the car were as well as your own limits in complete safety. It was so good I went back a second time and am still wrestling with going again!

Del.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:49 PM

Go for the Don Palmer Experience - your tyres wont like it but your g/f will!!!
Old 08-14-2003, 08:14 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. Why does noone do this sort of stuff in the north-west :-(

So far Don Palmer sounds good, but for two of us that's a hefty
Old 08-14-2003, 08:18 AM

Daern, there's another alternative - not ideal, but it might suffice. BookaTrack do trackdays at Elvington, which I believe is somewhere in Yorkshire. You can pay for instruction by the half-hour, I think.

It's amazing how much more confident I felt on my first track day (not having done an Academy Day at that point) even after just my first 15 mins with one of the instructors in the car with me.

Worth considering, if you want to avoid travelling half the length of the country to get to an event.