UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Traffic light camera incident!

Old 03-14-2004, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traffic light camera incident!

A am fuming, I hate cameras at the best of times but I have always had the belief that traffic light cameras could only be good as they will only take pictures of *real* traffic offences, but now I am not sure.

Driving home on Friday I approached a crossroads that I know very well. Looking down the road that I was driving the traffic was really busy so I decided it would make more sense to turn right and take a shortcut. As I approached the lights they were on green, I could see a car in the opposite lane coming towards me so Iindictated, pulled into the middle of the junction and waited (there is no yellow box). The car coming towards me slows and begins to hesitate, at that point I am still waiting in the middle and the light changes to amber, the car hesitates again and as the light changes to red he goes through about 1 cars length. Due to his faffing and hesitancy I was unable to turn right as I would normally would on the amber light. The junction is a very busy junction and I would have been blocking the other traffic so I continue to turn right and the camera flashes twice Now, the time between the other car hesitating and going slightly through the red and me turning was only a couple of seconds so I am not sure if it was flashing me or him, but I am fairly certain it was me.

My problem is that I feel I did nothing wrong. In rush hour it is virtually impossible to turn right until the lights change to amber and the opposite cars slow or stop, then it is safe to cross. The whole time the lights were on green I was waiting to turn, and because of the hesitating muppet I decided to wait instead of risking a fast right turn in the wet.

I am sure that I will recieve a fixed penalty notice in the next few weeks, but I feel I want to contest as I have really done nothing wrong... any advice??
Old 03-14-2004, 02:19 PM

Contest it.
Win or lose, and you'll probably win, the more people do that the less of these things we'll see around.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:26 PM

The thing is, I actually agree with Red light cameras because I am sick of seeing muppets risk going through on red lights, it happens everyday. But as we all know cameras cannot take the situation into consideration, and that really annoys me.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you had passed the white line before amber they can't do you as you were waiting your turn but if you were not past the line then its curtains!
Old 03-14-2004, 02:42 PM

I was passed the white line, I was in the middle of the junction, I passed the white line when it was on a full green.

Maybe they have got the idiot that took his whole car though

:mecrossingmyfingersforthenextsixweeks:
Old 03-14-2004, 02:59 PM

If it is as you described they simply discard the pictures, the first picture has to have a red light in it and you crossing the line, the second picture is to confirm you continued across. There is a tricky junction that I use regularly and the same often happens.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by moff
I was passed the white line, I was in the middle of the junction, I passed the white line when it was on a full green.

Maybe they have got the idiot that took his whole car though
Old 03-14-2004, 03:04 PM

which way was the camera pointing?
towards you?
if so....I would have thought it was the other guy they got.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by san2000
which way was the camera pointing?
towards you?
if so....I would have thought it was the other guy they got.
Yeah, it was in front of me on the other side of the road, the same side as the muppet.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:07 PM

Moff, I saw a traffic light camera go off last week on the A52 just past the Priory Island Shell station heading towards Derby, where its three lanes that cross over a junction.

Amber gambler clearly sees that the lights are going to change and with another car in front of him, goes bugger that, jinks to the right and accelerates. He was still a car length away from the white line when it was on red. A true definition of optimistic

I was about 5-6 car lengths back from this and it appeared to me that the first flash was when he was in the middle of the junction and the second as he crossed the white line on the other side of the junction a split second later.

I can't see how your car can have triggered the camera as surely they check traffic on the side that are pointing?

I'll be rubbing me lucky rabbit's foot for yer, anyway

Quick Reply: Traffic light camera incident!