UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Tyres and Academy Day

Old 10-27-2004, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyres and Academy Day

Ok.

My MOT is due on Sunday so I thought I'd take it yesterday to get it out of the way. Failed on tyres and they are quite bad.

I now have a dilemma. The Academy Day is on Sat so we were going to replace them after - however I'm getting myself in a bit of a stew about this. So do I:

1. Get the new tyres this week and have to use them on Sat.

2. Wait till after the Ac Day and get them done on Monday (and drive very carefully and inconspicuously until then).

3. Anyone know of any fleet companies that would work on a Sat and come and replace them at 5pm!

Any advise gratefully received.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:24 AM

I would follow option 2, but then I am irresponsible.
If you don't drive on Sunday, and only drive to a pre-booked mot on Monday, you're actually legal. Not that there's any real chance of getting caught.

Watch it in the rain with poor tread
Old 10-27-2004, 05:48 AM

I faced this issue prior to Keevil. I opted to replace the tyres as they were very low at back.

It's unfortunate timing as it's not ideal to use new tyres on a circuit as the tread blocks move around a lot and get very hot relatively quickly. I didn't find it a problem if I kept to short runs. You can feel the tyres 'going off' as the car moves around a lot on the the tread so it's not like you have no warning.

Last thing you want is to have an accident on the public road and the BIB turning up and pointing out your illegal tyres
Old 10-27-2004, 06:10 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

A bald tyre carries a
Old 10-27-2004, 06:20 AM

do 1.

you won't use much tread on the academy day-you'll do about 30 miles driving in the day thats all
Old 10-27-2004, 06:41 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is definitely called 'sod's law' Vixen

Academy Day approaches and the one thing you would want to be in good nick (or at least legal) would be your tyres!

It is a dilemma - but having thought about this, I don't think I'd want to scrub in new tyres on Saturday, even though it's not a full-blown Track Day.
They cost enough, so I would want to make sure they were scrubbed in properly to maximise their grip in the long-term.

Minimise your driving on Sunday, or even eliminate it completely if you can and get them sorted first thing on Monday.

See you Saturday
Old 10-27-2004, 06:46 AM

Got it, go find a tyre Dealer, ie Bracknell tyres, who change loads of S2 tyres. Get a just replaced set which are still legal, use them on Saturday, then go back on Monday to get a fresh set of new boots put on.

Its going to be a wet week ahead, so it's just sods law that you get caught up in a prang esp. if its not your fault and PC Plod does you for known illegal tyres.

G
Old 10-27-2004, 06:47 AM
Al2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moggy,Oct 27 2004, 03:20 PM
do 1.

you won't use much tread on the academy day-you'll do about 30 miles driving in the day thats all
I stand corrected!

Yes, I'm about to do a complete U-turn and say get them done before Saturday!

I agree, 30 miles is insignificant - I wasn't aware it would be that low.

Best to speak to someone who's done one before
Old 10-27-2004, 06:47 AM

Whatever you decide to do Vixen, you will have a great day I did quite alot of tyre wear on both Academy days - but then I did push it and had a few spins

Hope the weather is ok for you, but either way, you will learn more about your car and what she can do have a good one
Old 10-27-2004, 07:00 AM

It looks like the day will be damp anyhow. So tyre wear will be limited Get them done

Quick Reply: Tyres and Academy Day