UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Uneven front tyre wear

Old 06-29-2001, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uneven front tyre wear

Has anybody else had uneven front tyre wear on the inner edge?

The advice from the tyre wharehouse was chamber alignment as the wear was smooth and not a tracking created scuff.

The car is booked in to Johnsons Honda for full alignment etc check on Monday but when I went last night to have the rears fitted I met a long term S2k (S200 0MJ - blk/blk) owner (number 425 made) who has had the same problem, had it returned to several times for checking / correction but still the fronts wear off the inner edge. His soloution was to to swap the tyres across the car when part worn thus extended the tyre life.

Has anybody played with the front chamber setting which improves this or made effect on the handling?
Old 06-29-2001, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter.

I had my first service in May which included a report on tyre condition. I've got plenty left on both tyres. Rear tyre depths were the same but they pointed out .. get this .. 0.10mm difference between the two front tyres and advised me to get the car tracked. I said I'd keep an eye on it!! Mind you they have got a new state-of-the art tracking set-up there which they're pushing at the moment. Re. Rotating tyres. You know obviously it's a tyres off job to do it. You can't rotate the wheels
Old 06-29-2001, 02:19 PM

Peter: You might get some insight in this thread I posted a while ago: http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...light=alignment
Old 06-29-2001, 02:41 PM

Just to add....

The merits of swapping tyres from side to side as a way of evening tyre wear and extending the life of the tyres has been discussed in fairly extensive detail before. The general consensus of opinion was that (if you swap the tyres) you'll experience fairly drastic changes in handling characteristics, and maybe some loss of cornering traction, besides an even faster rate of front tyre wear. The recommendation was to accept some inside front tyre wear until such time that you feel a deterioration in cornering abilty, and then just bite the bullet and buy a couple of new tyres.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:25 AM

Thank you for pointing out the link "1Y2KS2K", the car was back at the main dealer today, when I picked it up they said it required adjustment but the guy on the desk couldn't tell me what.

I also do alot of motorway stuff with 3-6 fab miles either end on the daily route to work.

The remarks about the increase negative chamber = inner wear rate but better steering feel are very interesting. The S2k in the UK press gets a poor comparision to the Elise & Boxster for the lack of steering feedback.

I agree that the cost of reduce front tyre life would be worth the extra feel / grip.

The tyre off swap was not ideal, which is why I wondered if anybody else was doing it, if I still have inner wear within a quarter of the tyre life then I might give it a go.

First impression driving the car back this morning was a more centralisation effect on the wheel, I need to cover a few much loved roads to find out any handling changes.
Old 07-03-2001, 09:43 AM

I seem to remember my manual says not to swap tyres. the tread is asymmetric. as an aside, i think it also says not to run the car with a space-saver on the rear. you're supposed to put the space-saver on a front tyre and swap the front tyre onto the rear. mmmm.....that'll handle nicely.

s
Old 07-03-2001, 12:10 PM

sgrant:

If you want to read up my experience and tale of woe:

http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=tire
Old 07-03-2001, 02:13 PM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

The alleged poor steering feel is probably a function of the electric steering. Apparently, the idea was a favourite at Rover (cf MGF), but the Mini gets an electro-hydraulic system like a Saxo because of feel problems.

As a general rule, once tyres have uneven wear, they will not wear even if you swap them. I regard it as an excuse to drive harder, so you can trash them & get some nice new ones

New tyres can transform the feel of a car, as they can go off before they're worn out