UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Unusual sound during 'The Beans'

Old 11-28-2008, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual sound during 'The Beans'

I'm letting the engine warm up to full guage but I imagine that due to the cold other parts of the car are still thawing out so it could be due to this.

Several new sounds.

Firstly there's a kind of rythmic ticking sound coming from the engine bay at idle, the kind of sound a duff fan with a dodgy bearing might make, it dies when the car is warmer.

Secondly, and a bit more worrying, When the engine temp guage is full but the car is still cold; I give it the full beans and around 6k and beyond there's an unusual rasping sound that's not the norm. This is most noticeable when the car is cold but I have noted that even when thoroughly warmed up when I hit just below 9k I can also hear this odd sound.

Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts on both.

The cars under warranty so I'll be booking it in to have these various noises looked at (or listened to ) as well as an annoying babies rattle, rattle snake type noise that occurs now when I brake, accel or corner hard which I suspect is a loose something or other, somewhere
Old 11-28-2008, 02:09 AM

If you know it is still cold why are you "giving it the beans"?

Old 11-28-2008, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Jonsey Boy!,Nov 28 2008, 11:09 AM
If you know it is still cold why are you "giving it the beans"?

The next unusual sound you hear may be an implosion or explosion
Old 11-28-2008, 02:29 AM

ODM i sometimes get a funny sound when VTECing. its kind of sound like a broken classic refs whistle, like you can hear the cork spinning but only get a very quiet whistle sound.

I thought it may of been temp related but the car can be warmed through. No power or response issue just the sound.... at the mo.

I just put it down to engine noise. The S is not the most refined machine in terms of sound deadening.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

1-normal, or get your valve clearances checked. Hypersonik posted a how to - it is linked from the FAQ

2 - exhaust blowing?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:38 AM

Well, good point there my man.

As I say the engine temp guage is full; I suspect the rest of the car isn't as warm as the engine and so this is my question

Was curious to know if this sound is related to the car simply being cold, ie, can others perhaps confirm they've heard something like this on a cold day even when the temp guage is full?

OR

Is it perhaps a side effect of another issue that's showing itself perhaps? eg, I may well have had an over-rev during a bad gear change a few months ago and have wondered if this has somehow damaged the motor in a mild way that perhaps shows itself moreso on a cold day?

Dunno, just guessing here.

As I say I'll take the thing in to let the dealer check it over but just wanted to try here first to see if anyone has any thoughts.

So you are saying that even when the temp guage shows the engine to be fully warmed up that on a cold day I should wait some time longer before VTECing it? and if I dont I will hear a sound like this?
Old 11-28-2008, 02:41 AM

Also check your oil.

Engines tend to get louder and more rattles, when they running lower.

And then REALLY loud when they have no oil.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

i think if you'd damaged the engine you'd know about it... what can happen, other than accellarated wear it'd be catastrophic i'd think. you need fluffy's view

the S is a very.. mechanical sounding.. car. I commute in a beater diesel which is really fairly quiet and yesterday I did it in the S.. jesus it was deafening. The HKS didn't help mind .. the wind noise, the rattles from the hood, the gearbox, you hear the lot compared with the beater. i quite like it in a way
Old 11-28-2008, 02:46 AM

yup does it actually rev to 9k or is the limiter kicking in ? the ticking is normal.. check the oil too make sure there is plenty in there !! but when its cold dont give it full beans for a good - 10 - 15 mins to let the oil heat up ... also i find dealers very un helpfull when yuo mention ' my car is making a noise' you will find people no here far more helpfull ! or get along to a meet or somethign were someone can take a look for you its normal really when i got mine i asked the same questions ( dif making a noise - engine sounding like a dyson etc ) just enjoy the drive
Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat,Nov 28 2008, 11:38 AM
Well, good point there my man.

As I say the engine temp guage is full; I suspect the rest of the car isn't as warm as the engine and so this is my question
That's a water temp guage and not the oil temp. Don't assume that three bars means carte blanche to thrape the car.

Quick Reply: Unusual sound during 'The Beans'