UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Upgraded front brake discs

Old 11-13-2006, 02:29 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Upgraded front brake discs

After my post about recommendations about brake pads i bought and fitted the recommended Ferodo DS2500's and was very impressed with them at Donington. Even though i managed to get my brake discs glowing red, they didn't fade. I managed to get the porterfield r4s to fade, but the ferodo's actually seem to give an improvement in braking effect as well as resisting fade.

So a big for the ferodo's.

The downside is that i have warped my discs They are juddering like a good un. I need to check that i haven't seized the sliders or anything else because of the high temps, but i suspect its the discs.

i can't blame the pads or discs because i know i am very hard on brakes. I warped 2 sets of discs on my last s2k, the oem discs using standard pads, and brakes international discs using porterfields. I don't do it deliberately, but its just my style to brake hard and brake late. I even tried to match PJL into one corner and he's got 6 pot tarox calipers!

Anyway, i now need some new discs and i'd like something that will actually give a performance improvementt, ie will stay cooler and won't warp.

Any suggestions? I've always been against drilled and slotted discs because most of them are just remachined blanks and don't do much more than look good, but i'm willing to try some if anyone has some good experiences to report, ideally from track use with upgraded pads.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm watching this thread with interest. My front discs are not warped but are extremely worn and I fancy upgrading.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haven't we all come to the same conclusion.. and that there is no obvious solution..

if you go with upgraded pads.. the discs become the limiting factor..

due to the size of the caliper/pad..the discs will get too hot.

the larger caliper seems to be the most obvious - though expensive solution.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 AM

Managed to warp both Spoon drilled and J's Grooved on track this year using the Ferodo's. The J's seemed to give up the ghost pretty quick, they seemed to definately be OEM discs machined out, but i may be wrong.

Next year just gonna go fo a proper kit like Stoptech or AP , or just change my driving style.As Kobe said i think if your hard on your brakes what ever you run with the standard caliper/disc size you may have troubles.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:41 AM

Just stuck some EBC barsts on mine, will see how they get on as I usually only have OEM ones.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:57 AM

I had quite a long chat with julian at balance motorsport who supplied me with the ferodo pads. Nice chap actually and very honest about what's worth doing.

He can supply me with red dot drilled and grooved discs, which are apparantly made from brembo blanks. He reckoned that drilling the discs would have a big impact on the cooling, but he did warn me that any drilled disc will crack so i would need to accept that. alternatively, if i was looking for a cheaper trial solution the he recommended the brakes international drilled discs.

We also had a long chat about brake cooling. I need to replace my discs anyway, so i'll have a look at the drilled brakes international discs, but i think i'll see what i can do to rig up some sort of brake disc cooling ducting.

Anyone done anything on that front with any real success?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I noticed that Brakes Intetnationl sell an alternative disc which is made by BREMTECH??

EDIT: Hadn't seen your latest post Lower
Old 11-13-2006, 05:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS PJL ran brake cooling ducts for a while - he was pleased with them. He used bits bought from Demon Tweeks and his bodyshop guy fitted it all together
Old 11-13-2006, 05:24 AM

I might look at that then. My factory makes stuff from sheetmetal, including ducting, so i'm sure i'd be able to knock something up.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:47 AM

OK, this is going to sound like a really stupid question but I was wondering what effect any cooling ducts have on braking in wet weather? I think we've all experienced a nasty moment in one car or another where we've applied the brakes during a rainy motorway journey and found that nothing happens. After what seems like a lifetime the discs and pads warm up and dry out and normal service is resumed

Would cooling ducts actually cause the channeling of a significant amount of water onto the discs or are they deliberately designed to avoid that issue?

Andy

Quick Reply: Upgraded front brake discs