UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Urgent advice needed - potentially buying S2000 tomorrow

Old 03-20-2003, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent advice needed - potentially buying S2000 tomorrow

Any views most appreciated.

I'm getting all excited as I'm off tomorrow to look at a Berlina Black 2001 (X) S2000 that has covered 14000 miles, 1 owner, recall work all done etc.

The only niggle I've got is that the car has apparently had a new roof owing to the original rear window becoming badly fogged/opaque. The seller is saying that as it's a new roof and therefore a tighter fit, it needs new (smaller ) locking handles on the windscreen top. They are waiting for these to arrive at the Honda dealership and assure me they would be fitted if I bought the vehicle.

It seems plausible that the older roof handles have worn and are not good enough to tension a new stiffer roof but I thought I'd ask if anybody here has experienced same.

The price is reasonable and I'm sure he will come down a %'age, so all in all I'm hoping this is THE ONE!!!! Praying for sun out tomorrow for plenty of on the test drive.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 12:39 PM

I'm not to sure on that one? But hey, have a great drive in the sun, and if you like it then buy it

Matty
Old 03-20-2003, 12:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Remster
[B]The only niggle I've got is that the car has apparently had a new roof owing to the original rear window becoming badly fogged/opaque.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:02 PM

There's been a thread recently where someone had their roof catches replaced under warranty due to excessive wear. The latches had been worn on the edges, and the roof wasn't sealing 100%.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:35 PM

a bit off topic but just to reassure you - I bought an X reg 12000 miles in December and the car feels like new. If the roof is sorted and you are happy I would go for it - the rest of the car will be solid as a rock as long as it has not been abused. The people that buy this sort of car originally generally seem interested in cars ( c.f. TT, boxster etc) and therefore either service appropriately or generally look after them because they either:

1. realise its a shit load of money to spend on a car
2. are obsessive - just read what some of the board say and know about their cars - yes Mr. Carper I am referring to you

as for roof catches - if they work then I guess they are ok. hhmmm...... now thats words of wisdom

enjoy and buy - they are still rare enough to have the feeling of passing one and doing the knowing look of "yeah - I love 'em too" to random people
Old 03-20-2003, 11:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by StevenM

They would only have had to replace the rear plastic window to fix this. I would ask them a few more questions?

The car still has at least 7 months warranty so they do have an obligation to fix it.
You have to replace the whole hood (not the frame) to change the rear window - it's not replacable.

-Brian.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:38 PM

Cheers guys.

I too thought that if the plastic rear screen had fogged it would be replaced without need for a complete new roof. I shall go later armed with further questions but as has been said, it still has warranty remaining and I have a dealer within 5 miles of where I live so getting the car A1 should not be too much trouble.

Just need the sun to come out now

Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 11:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's funny cause mine was replaced

Check out this section on the ESM - it tells you how to replace the rear window

Rear Window Replacement 20-39

Old 03-20-2003, 11:55 PM

You do not have to replace the whole roof to change the plastic screen, I had 4 in my old one so I know this 200% for a fact. Are they putting an 02 roof on ie the new roof with the postbox perspex heated screen? If this is the case then they would have to replace the roof or do some serious mods. As long as its not been in an accident i wouldnt worry, its better to have a new one than one thats old!
Other checks
1) Tyres, check that they are so2s, they should be 225 if any other tyre they should be 245 (rears)
2) Check oil
3) Ask if it has the 055 clutch in (latest)
4) Ask if its had the revised alignment, Honda issued some revised settings that made the 00/01 cars handling come alive. It costs aprox
Old 03-21-2003, 03:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mistake. Confusing it with removing the rear window (due to the zip, there was a lot of speculation that it was removable ages ago.).

-Brian.

Quick Reply: Urgent advice needed - potentially buying S2000 tomorrow