UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Valves Adjusted by Honda. Now Problems!! Help needed

Old 06-16-2017, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valves Adjusted by Honda. Now Problems!! Help needed

Hello all,

Just had my valves adjusted in my s2000 by Honda dealership. Dropped it off at 1:50pm and was told it was ready at 5:19pm same day. Was told everything was fine. So after getting couple miles down the road and engine warmed I gave it the beans and a massive cloud of smoke came out the back (friend behind me told me). The car got to about 7,500 rpm and the engine had shuddering and lost power instantly.

I instantly panicked and pulled over. Rang honda at 5.54pm (baring in mind they closed at 6) and he said well we are closing soon, and give them a call tomorrow morning to book me back in.

so I set off again and avoided high rpm. The further I got the shuddering started earlier in the rpm and the cel would flash until I lowered the rpm. It started doing it as low as 3000 rpm & when stationary.

I can't get recovered now because I'm within 2 miles of my house.

I believe the engine wasn't allowed enough time to cool? So when warmed up the valve clearance is too tight?

my question is would if be okay to drive back to honda? I'm worried the exhaust valves will become burnt if they aren't already.

any advice welcome!

thanks in advance.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 131 Likes on 119 Posts

What you're thinking is what I'm also thinking.

Don't drive it anymore. I would be making a very angry phone call to Honda tomorrow morning. I'm not sure what/if any long term effects will be caused by what damage has already been done. Hopefully somebody else will be along shortly. It doesn't sound good to me though.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

If the CEL is flashing DO NOT DRIVE/START THE CAR. Possibly they did not re connect a coil pack or cam sensor properly, indeed your theory of tight valves could also be correct. If they have good customer service they will recover the car and investigate.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:51 AM

He didn't even say to bring it in but to call and book it in then drive it up and did not offer any recovery. I was angry and hung up before I started raging. Also I thought I'd get some advice on what legs I got to stand on. I've ordered a recovery now to come pick it up and take it there and I was going to invoice honda for the cost.
didn't think about the coilpack. Although I don't wanna start fidling with it. Just going to let honda do it.

thanks for the quick responses guys. Much appreciated.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Not sure how they could have done the job properly. The engine must be under 100°F when the valves are adjusted. Moving an overnight parked cold car into the shop will cause it to exceed that. Also not sure if mis-adjusted valves would cause the smoke. But no "sensors" or anything need to be fooled with, just remove the valve cover.

Keep us informed as to what happened.

Second "dealer" major screw up topic in a week. Seems dealers have no clue about these old cars.

-- Chuck
Old 06-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Received 246 Likes on 212 Posts

When I worked at Honda we would get the car in the night before, leave it outside overnight and PUSH it into the workshop in the morning, that way it was definitely cold, no way should it have been done and returned within a smidge over 3 hours, time to become Dr Bruce Banner and rip someone a new one.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:05 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Im concerned about letting any honda dealer do anything to my car.
I feel the attitude of most of the technicians in all main dealers nowadays is 'that'll do' .. at best. If they can't just swap a part or plug a laptop in and do the minimum amount of work for the maximum amount of £££ they cant be bothered.

It has Definitely been adjusted whilst the engine was warm.

Demand a full refund + costs/damages.

Buy a set of feeler gauges take your time and do it yourself. If in doubt you'll find all the info on here, spend a few nights reading up, and get stuck in !

Atleast that way you'll know its done right !
Good luck !
Old 06-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm not convinced over tight valves would cause the symptoms, maybe something to do with the removal and refitting of the valve cover though - seals on the spark tubes now allowing oil on the plugs/coilpacks for example.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:01 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Sorry but jobs like this are for mechanics, not 'fitters' which is what most modern garages employ these days. I'm sure there are exceptions but that's why mine goes to a trusted independent mechanic. BTW have you checked your oil filler cap is still in place ..... and check both cam sensors in the rocker cover are still connected and in place.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 AM

Default Update

So I had to pay RAC to see the car at home because I was within 2 miles of my house. Upon inspection the vacuum hoses was left disconnected and tucked away. And fault code reading knock sensor. (Didn't want to touch the engine bay really, wanted to leave it as was so honda can see what there workmanship) CEL has stopped flashing but still loss of power and vibration above 4000 rpm.

Took it to honda, the mechanic who worked on it isn't in today but different mechanic apologised and said the engine needs to be stone cold before valves should be done and to leave it there he will check them.

Got a courtesy 1.3 jazz for the mean time. I hoping that there is no damage to the engine or valves done 28 miles in total since they adjusted them so fingers crossed the engine is fine.

Should I request they inspect the engine for damages? They wouldn't tell me anyways would they. Just adjust them probably say they was fine and send me on my way.

I like your thinking Winstan but can I get a refund if they have carried out the work?

Hopefully collect the car Monday. I'll update once received the car back.

Quick Reply: Valves Adjusted by Honda. Now Problems!! Help needed