UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Venture Tape Thread (Tangoman Specific)

Old 07-29-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by composite guru,Jul 27 2006, 11:48 AM
The 3M stuff is the stuff that turns yellow, thats why most F1 teams have turned to Venture Tape.

We used to use the 3M stuff but it just looks nasty after a few races.
MM I dont really know where to start with all this however HI Guys seems a good place to start.

Firstly Current 3M consumer Paint Protection Film does NOT turn yellow, fact, proven end of discussion!!!!

Helicopter tape and Oem film does turn yellow and a lot of that was (and is) made by 3M They make hundreds of various films types for differing applications. These were never intended for consumer use (although many consumers did put it on their cars god knows why). It is true that many of 3Ms competitors (and their dealers) have been running around telling downright lies about the product.

This is of course actionable by 3M and I understand they have been tracking it, at one point a manufacturer was claiming that their product was six times stronger than "the leading competitor" (taken to mean in the market place 3M). This was challenged by us via the ASA and they withdrew the ads having made no attempt to substantiate the claim (as they had the right to do). To clarify my position on film manufacturers. I believe none of the claims by ANY of them and conduct my own exhaustive testing. We as a company are free to utilise any raw material I choose. We have tested the following manufacturers films: Llumar, Bekaert, Avery, Ventureshield, Madico, to date this what we found as a general point of principle.

All the films seemed to be equally effective at stopping Stone Chips, in terms of longevity and after installation maintainence the only films we were comfortable with were clearcoated (two ply) films.

What we found was that most of the films were prone to yellowing and discolouration to some degree EXCEPT the Bekaert and 3M ones. The early 3M film did have a creamy cast on a white car (due to the adhesive used) however this was replaced nearly 3 years ago.

We also found that none clearcoated (single ply films) suffered heavy discolouration and were badly effected by tar and rubber residue. If you go to www.paintshield.co.uk and read why paintshield, there are pictures on there of what I mean.

This in our opinion rendered them unsuitable for long term use in Northern Europe and the suppliers who asked us to consider these products, were informed by us of that fact nearly 3 years ago. Basically we needed to be certain that a customers car would not look any different after four years.

As a businessman I pay 25% more than most other films on the market, for 3M and yet we are more competive than they are (for example the car mentioned above for Bumper, bonnet wing ends and back of wing mirors would be
Old 07-29-2006, 07:34 AM

Old 07-29-2006, 12:26 PM

Paintshield have fitted their product to my VX and I can personally vouch for the service, the protection and the fit.

Honourable people to do business with.

Ben.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:06 PM

Tom

For one i apologise for mistaking your your product for Venture Tape. I thought they supplied all the paint protection companies. An oversight on my part.

As for the 3M thing, our team was using the 3M Helicopter tape on the leading edges of our components but seemed unhappy with the discolouration and thickness of the tape so the moved to Venture Tape kits. We have been running their kits on our cars for most of the season now without any issues, this has strengthened my confidence in the product and to have it fitted to my new car.

This material was recommended to us from a person that came to us from a top team so it was implemented as a good replacement.

In the end of the day, i've been given a lifetime guarantee on the tape not yellowing or cracking so thats good enough for me.

I'm sure 3M do make a comparible product but we were never guided to it so its their loss IMO.

I can vouch for your work as i have seen it fitted on a few cars in the past!!
Old 07-29-2006, 01:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

painsthield (or Paintshield), I am about to have this done to my car, and I'm trying to decide what to get, so I'm glad I found this post. Unfortunately I can't take it to your shop as in live in CA USA After reading your post on 3M I would rather get the 3M since the price is similar. But I have a couple questions:

What about the VentureShield claim that their product doesn't need a clear coat because it's part of the manufacturing process. I got this quote from an ebay seller:

THE PRODUCT HAS AN OPTICALLY CLEAR, HIGH GLOSS FINISH THAT IS A DIRECT RESULT OF THE INTERNAL MAKE-UP OF OUR URETHANE; IT DOES NOT HAVE A CLEAR COAT IN ORDER TO OBTAINTHESE AMAZING RESULTS, AND IT DOES NOT REQUIRE A CLEAR COAT TO MAINTAIN THIS BRILLIANT CLARITY YEAR AFTER YEAR.
And on their website they have a lifetime guarantee against their film yellowing:

VentureShield is optically clear (even on white vehicles unlike some other films) and guaranteed by a lifetime warranty against yellowing or cracking due to UV exposure.
Third Q: Do you think the 3M sold in the USA is exactly the same as what's sold in Europe? Because one installer I spoke with told me that on a white car, it will eventually start to show the yellow if too much exposure to sunlight. They sell the 3M on their website.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I'd done this on my new 06 when I got it
Old 07-30-2006, 02:05 PM

Mikey K - I agree I wish I had done the same!
Old 07-30-2006, 02:37 PM

So how does this stuff impact on polishing? Can you still get the same shine?
Old 07-30-2006, 03:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I'd done this on my new 06 when I got it
You can still do it!

I have just done a DIY job using Halfords own brand stuff-I believe I read somewhere that it is made for them by a well known company.

I have so far covered the front of the wings, front of bonnet, the door cills, area just in front of rear wheels and the bit just behind the rear wheels.

If you are good with your hands it should not be a problem.

Remember to give the area a really good polish with a glaze polish to take off any wax and get the best shine possible as this will be sealed in by the film.

I made paper or card templates for the wings an bonnet but the rest I just cut as I went along. Sharp knife and scissors required!

Putting it on is an art. I didn't use the 'Fitting kit' which they sell as I already had a squeegy and the 'special liquid' is only detergent.
I bought a small water sprayer from Boots which I used with a mixture of clear washing up liquid and water.

Spray your hands or you will leave fingerprints, spray the panel, peel of the film while keeping it wet. Slide it onto the panel, position it and then start to squeegy the bubbles and water out. As soon as you squeegy the film starts to stick. Spray the top of the film so that the squeegy slides over it. If you get it wrong you can still lift and move it, but keep your fingers wet.

Get all the bubbles and water out but don't over work it, it's surprising how much it dries out after it has been on the car for a day or two.

As with most things you will be an expert by the time you have finished!

The film is very clear and shiny. From three strides away from the car you can't see the lines.

I have used two of the bonnet packs so far which are
Old 07-30-2006, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Shopman,Jul 30 2006, 11:31 PM]
You can still do it!

I have just done a DIY job using Halfords own brand stuff-I believe I read somewhere that it is made for them by a well known company.

I have so far covered the front of the wings, front of bonnet, the door cills, area just in front of rear wheels and the bit just behind the rear wheels.

If you are good with your hands it should not be a problem.

Remember to give the area a really good polish with a glaze polish to take off any wax and get the best shine possible as this will be sealed in by the film.

I made paper or card templates for the wings an bonnet but the rest I just cut as I went along. Sharp knife and scissors required!

Putting it on is an art. I didn't use the 'Fitting kit' which they sell as I already had a squeegy and the 'special liquid' is only detergent.
I bought a small water sprayer from Boots which I used with a mixture of clear washing up liquid and water.

Spray your hands or you will leave fingerprints, spray the panel, peel of the film while keeping it wet. Slide it onto the panel, position it and then start to squeegy the bubbles and water out. As soon as you squeegy the film starts to stick. Spray the top of the film so that the squeegy slides over it. If you get it wrong you can still lift and move it, but keep your fingers wet.

Get all the bubbles and water out but don't over work it, it's surprising how much it dries out after it has been on the car for a day or two.

As with most things you will be an expert by the time you have finished!

The film is very clear and shiny. From three strides away from the car you can't see the lines.

I have used two of the bonnet packs so far which are

Quick Reply: Venture Tape Thread (Tangoman Specific)