UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A very sad day. a long storey

Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Rew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dembo,Aug 24 2007, 11:42 AM
When did you get rid of it?

Interesting story... I bought my Primera off a trader in South Wales in August 06 and when I said that I had an S2000, he said he'd just got a silver 05, but was going to "send it back" as it was obviously accident damaged and badly repaired, even though it wasn't listed as written off.

This was just somebody who sold the odd car and got rid of stuff the proper dealers got as p/x, you know the type. I think he was honest enough, certainly I've no complaints. Perhaps somebody had p/x'ed it for something else at a main dealer and they were trying to get rid of it. Hmmm.
Summer 2006
Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Horza,Aug 24 2007, 03:14 PM
Maybe you should post the reg. number on here...
Put it on a "sticky" - don't buy these cars
Old 08-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horrible story ! Who were the Insurance company who used this repairer ???
Old 08-24-2007, 03:25 PM
pip

Further proof that an HPI check is not guarantee that a car has not been in a big smash.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pip,Aug 24 2007, 03:25 PM
Further proof that an HPI check is not guarantee that a car has not been in a big smash.
the repair is that bad anyone on here who does't spot it deserves to be ripped off
Old 08-25-2007, 01:15 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil.H,Aug 24 2007, 05:28 PM
did it go to a Honda garage or the insurers approved repairer? If the later, then there's you answer as to why it was repaired.

I made sure mine went to an expensive Honda dealer in order to make the bill as large as possible.
I'm sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. My company manufacture and install spraybooth ovens in bodyshops all around the country, we even have a few in the honda factory down in swindon. New manufacture Hondas, Vauxhalls, Peugoets and Aston Martins are painted in the equipment we design, manufacture, install and comission. We are an also an approved spraybooth supplier for refinishing most manufacturers cars.

A Honda dealer bodyshop is exactly that. A bodyshop in a franchised dealer. They have no additional training to any other bodyshop. They have no different equipment to any other bodyshop just because they are a honda dealer, there is no additional quality control just because they are a Honda dealer and the paint they use will not be Honda OEM paint.

In my experience, you get no benefit from using a honda dealer bodyshop to a decent independant. We all know how flakey the dealers can be with mechanical faults, some are better than others. Exactly the same applies with bodyshops.

I've seen some shocking honda bodyshops and some excellent independants. I'd be far more interested in their attitude to you as a customer, the cleanliness of the workshop, how modern the spraybooth is, and the quality of the work they produce.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and ultimately comes down to the skill and patience of the person actually doing the work on the car..

I recently saw a car that had been repaired at a honda bodyshop.. and the issue with the panel gap was visible from 20 metres away..
Old 08-25-2007, 01:33 AM

I've experienced similar things with cars I have owned.

Basically, and I think this extends to many 'trades,' there seems to be this bodge mentality where you pay good money for a job to be done, they screw it up and then try to fobb you off and tell you that the sub-standard work is 'alright' and you should be pleased that they did a less than average job.
After years of putting up with 'average' service from a variety of companies it's actually a shock when someone gives me good service these days.
In the end, if they can't do it right in the first place, they shouldn't start the job.

Needless to say I sympathise!

Cheers,

James.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:43 AM

Sorry to hear about all that - 13k is very very cheap for that damage; mine was estimated at 12k to repair, and it was just hte rear nearside quarter and a jig.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStoat,Aug 24 2007, 04:29 PM
the more it costs insurers to use half-arsed bodyshops the more likely they are to start using decent ones
Highly unlikely.
Most body shops who work for major insurers only earn around

Quick Reply: A very sad day. a long storey