UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Viewing tonight

Old 09-03-2007, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sold for 10k before i could get a second look/drive so no purchase yet.

Like the 'Gutless' thread thats running at the moment im feeling quit deflated by my S experiences so far.
The problem is that im coming from a turbocharged car which as you all know gives me all the power i need for good progress from 2.5k revs.

I just drove my friends Fiat coupe that is producing 350bhp and i got out of that blown away!! It absolustely knocked my socks of. In gear acelleration felt near supercar fast.

So the new dilemma is, do i spend 11 grand buying an S or give the guy his deposit back for my current car and spend 3 grand turning it car into a monster?

If you bear in mind i live in London and dont get anywhere near winding twistie backroads you can see the difficulty in the decision!

I know what the problem is, i want a 60k car for 10k which just isnt going to happen. Only through the dark world of Modifying do you ever get that kind of performance, which is generally easier with a turbocharged car.

Really confused now!!!!!
Old 09-03-2007, 04:22 PM
Jel

Be a passenger in one by someone who knows how to drive them - you will not think they are slow then. A tweaked one all the better.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:39 PM

I think everyone on this site has seen the touge S2000 race against the Skyline lately. And to be honest that S on the circuit was heavily modded but it was still NA, most likely lightened and suspension, handling tweaked to perfection. If you look at the way it kept up with the Skyline when the skyline was leading, then blew it away on the 2nd run when the S was in the lead you will see what the S is all about.
A stock S2000 is adequate, but it has alot of potential. I've owned my S for about a year now and i look forward to eventually doing lots of mods to it. But one of the things that i won't be doing is sticking a turbo or super charger in it, Although would consider s JS Racing engine block ready tuned...
Check out this
http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/featur...6/s2000sc.html
The S2000s on this page are all focused on improving the handling of the S2000 because that is what the S excels at, not infinite pulling power from torques and not straightline speed.
Just my opinion
Forgot to ask, how would you use all those torques and horses in London traffic?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:39 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Jel,Sep 4 2007, 12:22 AM
Be a passenger in one by someone who knows how to drive them - you will not think they are slow then. A tweaked one all the better.

Come along to the 'Herts Meet' in Welwyn Garden City on Thursday night

See the post in the 'Meets' forum for details.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:51 PM

How long will his Fiat Coupe engine last at 350bhp I wonder?

Also - 350bhp through the front wheels , that thing must be almost undriveable on a twisty road.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

All in a desperately dated body

Lego build quality

And a growing chav image

Nice!

Where can I get one?
Old 09-04-2007, 12:38 AM

Sorry to hear you are feeling a little disappointed so far.

Have you had any test drives by yourself?

I can understand you might feel a little apprehensive about kissing the limiter with someone in the passenger seat but it really is the way to drive this car, I know I must sound like a broken record but it really is!

For me its just been like a continuation of keeping cars in the right rev range, my Coupe 3.5K and on boost , the S 6K and in VTEC.

Spending the money on the Coupe will be good fun but ultimately dead money, a decent S still holds a fair price but if you are really missing the torque that will make your decision.

Oh and gaddafi, how can you call the Tipo dated?
Old 09-04-2007, 02:14 AM

I feel your pain Borely.

What you S2k owners must realise is that us current or ex Fiat Coupe owners are very attached to our cars. Exactly the same as you guys are. We love the car, but they can be very 'ying-yang', love it/hate it. Strangely, part of the reason we like it so much is very similar to why you guys like the S2k - not everyone 'gets' it. That's why the S2k is a popular choice for Fiat Coupe owners to move on to, with the added bonus that the running costs are lower. It also hurts most owners that the car is sooo cheap now that it has fallen into the chav realm - which is a crying shame.

The main problem lies with the fact that as many similarities there are (rareness/great forum/not everone gets it), they are total opposite in many ways. The Fiat - you can point n squirt on any old road & get a massive grin on your face - to achieve a similar grin in an S2k, you need to rape the engine on a country road - probably with the resulting grin being wider, but the effort required is greater and less accessible in daily driving.

Borely - I have a feeling that the S2k's talents get better and better with ownership, unlike the instant rush of a heavy foot in a tweaked Coupe. Yes, it IS great fun & a lot of bang for yer buck, but from what I've read on here, the Honda's talent is deeper. I guess thats the reason many on here are on their 3rd or 4th S2k. That's why the S2k is still top of my shopping list.

Edited: due to sh1te spelling
Old 09-04-2007, 02:53 AM

Thanks Guys for the input. Your all right i guess.

Esem is that this Thrusday night? If so i could pop down as i know the Red Lion well from growing up in WGC.

Gaddafi i think if you had 350 horses and a straight line you might get out with a smile! Im not going to respond to 'yes but what happens in a corner' comments. We already know. Plus their carachter is pretty intoxicating once you've owned one.

Silverihno i know what you mean about spending the cash and it all turning into dead money. As we know, ultimately you never pay for other peoples mods. Thats why im now wondering if i should look out for a modded coupe for what would be no more than a 1500 pound outlay from the sale of my car. This could scratch an itch for practically no money and be a real experience.

Europa you seem to have nailed a good few points there, the primary being the power is more accessible more of the time. And as i have said i dont live in Wales or Devon or anywhere near the magical roads that i would have to make journeys to to get this grin factor from the S.

I keep thinking of all the great points of what is to be my old car, like that extra cylinder that makes the engine sound and feel much bigger than a 4 cylinder and the effortless accessibilty to a huge delivery of power without being a hooligan in the process. It just seems the S has no in between, you either hammer it or you dont, there doesnt seem to be a middle ground which is what i would be using for most of my driving.

I feel a bit backed into a corner as the S doesnt have any competitors for my budget of 11k. The only one is the Z3M and i would be constantly worrying that when i took it into a garage i would hear the mechanic say 'That will be the Vanos'.

What im trying to do is get my head round all this, really feel in limbo now my cars sold!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Borely,Sep 4 2007, 10:53 AM
Gaddafi i think if you had 350 horses and a straight line you might get out with a smile! Im not going to respond to 'yes but what happens in a corner' comments. We already know. Plus their carachter is pretty intoxicating once you've owned one.
My everyday car has significantly more 'horses' than that AND goes round corners.

So a car that doesn't go as fast in a straight line, and has enormous difficulty putting that power down, really has no appeal at all. Especially a car that is going to be driven in London......

And you would be very unwise to make assumptions about what I own/have owned in my time. I just don't feel the need to publicise all of those ownership experiences (etc) here.

I noticed you haven't answered the question about how you would propose to use all of this power in London.

Any thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: Viewing tonight