UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Viewing tonight

Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jml,Sep 4 2007, 03:46 PM
(Porsche left us stranded on a motorway for over 5 hours)
FWIW, I imagine Porsche sub-contract their Porsche Assist cover to the RAC or Green Flag or someone like that, just like every other manufacturer. It was a random local tow truck that came out to me when I had occasion to make use of the Honda Assist cover.

Skoda, Craig? VW, I could understand. I'm not ashamed to drive an uber-Beetle
Old 09-04-2007, 07:04 AM

Thanks for the encouragement Dawn! It does seem strange to still want to buy a car that hasn't taken my breath away. Goes against logic sort of, but i know the S hasnt got its reputation from nowhere!!!!

UKphill the turbos really are very different to drive from the NA's, and with aircon i've never got too hot in the summer. Did mist up a treat in the winter though! Thats what people with Italian cars call 'a feature'.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:05 AM
jml

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Sep 4 2007, 03:57 PM
FWIW, I imagine Porsche sub-contract their Porsche Assist cover to the RAC or Green Flag or someone like that, just like every other manufacturer. It was a random local tow truck that came out to me when I had occasion to make use of the Honda Assist cover.

Did place some question marks about 'Deutches Gr
Old 09-04-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurking Lawyer,Sep 4 2007, 03:57 PM

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=16732

One of the same family shortly
Old 09-04-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Borely,Sep 4 2007, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Dawn! It does seem strange to still want to buy a car that hasn't taken my breath away. Goes against logic sort of, but i know the S hasnt got its reputation from nowhere!!!!
FWIW, I wasn't utterly convinced until I actually got into a car that was all mine and drove it home. However, the community on here really added to the experience for me and I love my car! I will make it to an S2K meet soon!

I've not even got into Vtec territory yet as I ended up buying new and am still running her in (276 miles in 4 days! )

I'm just going on my intial impressions and my husbands very large grin as he chucked it round a roundabout at reasonable velocity! Bearing in mind his Integra and 968 CS are meant to be the dogs doodah's it was encouraging to see him eat his words about my 'hairdresser' car and coyly admit that it is actually very good!

Don't give up yet
Old 09-04-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borely - this is an excellent thread and thanks for you honest and objective posts!

I have to say in your position I'd look at a bigger engined car.
You are not going to get much satisfaction out of traffic light launches and straight line blasts in the S.
It just doesn't have the bottom end power or torque to satisfy your "urban" needs
It is at it's best round corners, vtecing through gears
Old 09-04-2007, 10:27 AM

Im not sure on this so correct me if im wrong!

The first S i drove was a brand new one and felt brilliant, really smooth and shifted well. This is what secured my decision.

The second hand ones have not felt as expensive (if thats the right word) and sounded a lot rougher. And the power didnt seem as strong.

Could this be something to do with the Vtec zone being shifted down the rev range? Im sure i read thats what they have done to the later models?

Mikey, i know but i just want one!! If you only had 11k im sure you wouldn't buy anything else?!
Like my old coupe The S is one of those cars that has very little competitors in a 'bang for buck' in its price range.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

S2000s do get rough-feeling with age.

But they have a Japanese lightness to teh controls; ham-fisted operation needed for a Euromobile does them no favours. Indeed, not being able to heel & toe makes for a dangerous drive. But that's true of most performance cars.

Off VTEC, they are very smooth in traffic, until teh kangarooing starts.

Early cars crash into the road holes they CBA to repair.

If you live in Smoke, I'd advise getting something different. An AEC Routemaster, perhaps.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the used ones have been well used
Power delivery can feel poor when it gets hot.
The seats can take a hammering if not looked after.
With a budget of