UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

VOSA = problems ahead

Old 12-05-2004, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by XBy2K,Dec 5 2004, 08:34 PM
I am not breaking the law.

My car is completely legal. Including numberplates and lights. Noting to "put back".
So you got rid of these already then eh Spanners?

Old 12-05-2004, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yet another reason for me to stay in Scotland.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if there was a cop involved with each of these units. I object strongly to some jobsworth having the right to stop me.
Exactly how are these buggers going to controlled?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE=XBy2K,Dec 5 2004, 08:34 PM]
I am not whining about anything.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eibutler,Dec 5 2004, 10:08 PM
Yet another reason for me to stay in Scotland.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if there was a cop involved with each of these units. I object strongly to some jobsworth having the right to stop me.
Exactly how are these buggers going to controlled?

The Isle of Man, may be slow, but there are times when that's a blessing

I also am worried about how they are controlled. For example, if they see their Auntie Mary driving along in her Allegro or their golfing buddy's cat behind the wheel are they going to just turn a blind eye? Not that you can stop police doing the same thing for the old Freemasonry but I'd trust a jobsworth in a uniform (a little bit) more than one without.

And what's this about fining people for "poor driving"? Presumably, God himself is going to be doing this job, as I can't see how any old joe is going to be qualified or in a position to judge impartially. Over here, you're likely to get done if someone snitches (whether true or not), especially if you managed to upset a member of their family, so I do have some experience of the 'vigilante' approach to traffic policing and it leaves a very bad taste in my mouth.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mans Best,Dec 6 2004, 12:30 AM
And what's this about fining people for "poor driving"? Presumably, God himself is going to be doing this job, as I can't see how any old joe is going to be qualified or in a position to judge impartially.
I imagine the type of person who will "volunteer" for this type of work is your middle aged do gooder who, whilst probably having a luadable desire to remove uninsured and dangerous cars from the road, also has rather biased views on what constitutes safe driving. By way of example, the sound of my exhaust makes my mum think I'm speeding even though I've not gone above 30 I think the mere sight of a car like ours is going to create a presumption of reckless driving in the eyes of many.

Whilst I accept the risk of having my numberplate illegally spaced, I prefer the discretionary approach of your local traffic cop (as was exercised when he pulled me on my birthday last year for only speeding offence to date) than some do gooder on a personal mission to address every single breach of the law, no matter how mundane and inconsequential.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by craig armstrong,Dec 6 2004, 07:47 AM
I imagine the type of person who will "volunteer" for this type of work is your middle aged do gooder who, whilst probably having a luadable desire to remove uninsured and dangerous cars from the road, also has rather biased views on what constitutes safe driving. By way of example, the sound of my exhaust makes my mum think I'm speeding even though I've not gone above 30 I think the mere sight of a car like ours is going to create a presumption of reckless driving in the eyes of many.

Whilst I accept the risk of having my numberplate illegally spaced, I prefer the discretionary approach of your local traffic cop (as was exercised when he pulled me on my birthday last year for only speeding offence to date) than some do gooder on a personal mission to address every single breach of the law, no matter how mundane and inconsequential.
Presumably there will be a right to contest the more subjective decisions? Proof and not just 'I think'.

Chatting to a parking warden in London the other week (objective to get him to tear up the paper he was about to stick on my w/s - result). He said the answer was to protest about the ticket. 90% of protests get accepted he said. So presumably these things will follow the same route?

OTOH IIRC (wheew!) when Hampshire police ran an exercise the other summer - pulling vehicles into a service area for inspection - they found an unbelievable % of caravans et al. with wildly defective tyres and brakes. Got to be a good thing if they're off the road!

There was a move some time ago in our village to get people to wander around with devices to check speed - couldn't get any volunteers
Old 12-05-2004, 11:28 PM

I can't see what everyone is getting excited about TBH.

These people are no different from Parking Attendants - if they stop all they make the roads a safer place to be then what's the problem?

Are parking attendants all vindictive middle aged do-gooders who are partial and let their friends off the hook? The ones up here seem to be relatively lowly paid people whose only fault is the need to meet targets, and who sometimes interprete parking offences in a manner that suits them.

Vehicle examiners already exist, and they are part of the DoT, not the Police. MOTs should pick up these various faults, but we don't ever criticise them for being over zealous.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they have been doing it for ages and as it trys to keep the numpties off the road!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:18 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

TBH, some of the faults the VOSA find with wagons & coaches are quite scary.

And a lot of old fogeys, who hate the way YOU drive, think they are exonerated from MOT's etc because they only drive their POS on bank holidays.

They should give VOSA people guns!
Old 12-06-2004, 01:25 AM

but not radar guns

Quick Reply: VOSA = problems ahead