UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

VX220

Old 08-22-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was down to a choice between that and an S earlier this year. The VX doesn't come in an extra large size for people 6'3" unfortunately. Even if it did, I think I'd still have gone for an S, but then it has to be my daily driver. Things would have been different if I was just buying a fun car......I'd have bought a Caterham
Old 08-22-2004, 08:56 AM
GSi

only real down point for me is the vauxhall dealerships - I've been there before unfortunately. The practicalities shouldn't come into it. If he needed/wanted a practical car he wouldn't be looking at a VX
Old 08-22-2004, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd have gone for one of these but it's really a second car. Case in point would have been West Mids this weekend. Overnight bag, sleeping bag air bed plus some bits and pieces I picked up in Brum this morning

Could never have fitted them in anything smaller than the S.

If he's got access to something with a bit of space that he can use for that occasional time when he needs it I'd say go for it
Old 08-23-2004, 01:33 AM

I test drove one before I sold my last S and couldn't really see what all the fuss was about.

Admittedly it was tight as it only had 1000 miles on the clock but it didn't feel any quicker then the S in a straight line and I couldn't really comment on the handling as I wasn't going to push it very hard in a car I didn't know.

Downsides were getting in and out of the bloody thing - This is the most unelegant anyone will ever look in a car and the lack of boot space. 2 tescos bags would be a real push (literally). Also getting the roof on and off is no 6 second affair that's for sure.

Cabin is also EXCEPTIONALLY cramped. If you have a passenger, you are constantly bashing their arm.

IMHO not worth the change unless you spend most of your time on track as the prospect of it being an everydayer is exceptionally unappealing.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't quite get it, I must admit. I sat in one and that didn't gel at all.

I love the Lotus. The Lotus is properly spartan, looks vastly prettier and has a reliable and revvy Toyota engine. It handles beautifully, etc etc...

I dunno, if they did an uglified, Tata-badged version of the MGF......
Old 08-23-2004, 02:48 AM

I like them. Can pick up a realy nice low milage 2.2 for under
Old 08-23-2004, 03:00 AM

Since he is young and as others have said go for it. If he needs more space he can always borrow your car instead! Just make sure he is a safe driver. I am sure he is but I made that comment because he is still young and I wouldn't want to see him get hurt. Nice car, drives exceptionally well and I would have it in a heartbeat if I didn't need the space and practicality of the S.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:08 AM

he's 19 !

'Practibility' isn't a word he would of needed to learn yet

I would of sold my Mum to get a vx220 at 19..

His stock with the women will rise significantly which will most likely be his
main criteria when getting a car if he was anything like me at that age

As Rahula pointed out, as long as he's a sensible guy and not going to drive it up a tree on the first day then go for it

When he's married with three kids and two dogs, then he can get the Accord Diesel Estate...
Old 08-23-2004, 05:03 AM

Great comments, thanks for all the input. I must agree that if I could have had a car like that when I was 19, there would have been no stopping me

Issues such as:
. There is space in the boot for a couple of packets of cornflakes and nothing else
. It'll be bloody freezing in the winter
. Hasn't even got anywhere to keep CD's (Nick's main concern with the car
. Don't get a fat girlfriend cause you won't both fit in the car
. You can only get in and out with the roof off ('least, that was the case when I tried it and the sills are sooooooooo wide you could rupture yourself if you don't take care)

don't matter to him and in truth wouldn't have worried me at that age either.

Looks the bo!!ox and drives like a dream are the only criteria that matter. Well, that and can we sort the insurance

Atm it is definately on but he will wait til Nov when he has 2 yrs driving experience under his belt as this may help on the insurance quote.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:15 AM
Ryn

Oh, they leak. A lot. My house mate keeps two towels on the floor on the passenger side to soak up the rain.

His car has a cargo net in between the seats the put the CDs in. Seems to hold about 6. Think this was an option at new though.

If you want to get his insurance down put yourself on the policy as a named driver, that should help a bit.

Quick Reply: VX220