UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Warranty Clutch Replacement - HELP

Old 10-27-2005, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Warranty Clutch Replacement - HELP

Hi all,

As you can guess by the title I have a query that I need help with with regards to my clutch!

I have a 2001 Model S2000, that is currently covered under Hondas extended warranty scheme, that has covered 35000 miles.

The car suffers from the common clutch 'buzz' that many models of that age do, but I personally feel that the buzz is excessive and asked my local dealer to take a look.

The dealer instantly recognized the noise, asked if the car was covered by warranty etc and has recommended that the clutch is replaced.

OK, the problem is, that I have just had a call from the dealer saying that he will book the car in to remove the clutch, but a warranty inspector will have to inspect the clutch and authorize it's replacement. - If the inspector concludes that the fault is down to wear, then I am liable to pay for the Labour
Old 10-27-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the clutch shouldn't be replaced under the extended warranty, it should be replaced by at honda's own cost. The extended warranty company will only replace items that have failed, and the clutch won't fail because of the noise. I would get in touch with honda uk and discuss the situation.

i had my clutch replaced by them outside of the warranty period on the basis that my clutch was buzzing. I actually had a problem with the release bearing and wanted a whole clutch kit fitted and after a certain amount of discussion honda agreed to free issue a whole clutch kit FOC if i would pay the dealer labour. i initally said no and we eventually agreed that i would pay the labour at a reduced rate. I ended up paying
Old 10-27-2005, 08:10 AM

My clutch was replaced at 40k but not in warranty.

Recently Blurter managed to get his replaced under warranty but I think his dealer has been very kind to him. The clutch on the pre 04 car is pretty useless and has been replaced with the new 055 clutch which is meant to be stronger.

S2000's can prematurely wear clutches due to the lack of low down torque. I think they should have been made stronger from day 1 and the new 04 clutch really proves there is an issue, but since the warranty small print does not include clutches I think you will struggle.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:35 AM

My clutch was not worn. It wa a problem with the release bearing being tight, causing the pedal to be stiff. They just replaced the lot.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:28 AM

I had the clutch replaced on my 2001 car under (normal not extended) warranty at about 30000 miles I think, but not because it was buzzing (it was buzzing but that didnt bother me), but because 2nd to 3rd gear would 'catch' every now and again.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:43 PM

Thanks for the responses - I'll take it up with HUK as Lower suggests!
Old 10-28-2005, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Blurter,Oct 27 2005, 04:35 PM
My clutch was not worn. It wa a problem with the release bearing being tight, causing the pedal to be stiff. They just replaced the lot.
This sounds very similar to the problem I've got, I queried this with them but I was told that because the part had not failed, it was just worn, it wouldn't be covered. It's currently being fitted at my expense for
Old 10-28-2005, 12:25 AM
ge2

[QUOTE=andyrees,Oct 27 2005, 04:47 PM] Hi all,

As you can guess by the title I have a query that I need help with with regards to my clutch!

I have a 2001 Model S2000, that is currently covered under Hondas extended warranty scheme, that has covered 35000 miles.

The car suffers from the common clutch 'buzz' that many models of that age do, but I personally feel that the buzz is excessive and asked my local dealer to take a look.

The dealer instantly recognized the noise, asked if the car was covered by warranty etc and has recommended that the clutch is replaced.

OK, the problem is, that I have just had a call from the dealer saying that he will book the car in to remove the clutch, but a warranty inspector will have to inspect the clutch and authorize it's replacement. - If the inspector concludes that the fault is down to wear, then I am liable to pay for the Labour
Old 10-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Administrator

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Mines a 2002, 110k miles and still on the original clutch
Old 10-28-2005, 04:29 AM

Same here, also a 2001 except mine's done about 36k and I only get the buzz when the gearbox is nice and warm.

I just waiting to here from the dealer who have put a request in to HUK, so it will be interesting see how it pans out compared to yours
It certainly will, as I do not want to find myself in the same position as Amstrad2000. - Let me know how you get on!

I have contacted HUK this morning and explained the circumstanses and my concern of potentially been handed a bill of

Quick Reply: Warranty Clutch Replacement - HELP