UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Weird feeling when braking

Old 06-06-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird feeling when braking

Ok so.. I’ve been experiencing this for some time possibly since first getting the car two years back.

When pressing the brake pedal firmly (not emergency stop or extremely firm) from high speeds say 85 – 90 up over, I get a feeling through the pedal!? Almost like I can feel it moving.. It must be moving for me to feel something!! Surely! I wouldn’t say it’s a lot but for sure there is something there.

I’ve had braided brake lines fitted, new discs / pads and fluid all changed out in the time of me owning the car and nothing has ever changed regarding the feel. These were not changed trying to fix this issue but just as because I wanted to. However, now thinking about it, I really should start looking into getting this sorted.

So my question is:
Is it the master, slave, S2000 braking trait or something else?
Old 06-06-2015, 02:16 AM

Check all your wheel nuts are tight
Old 06-07-2015, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
Check all your wheel nuts are tight
tight
Old 06-07-2015, 03:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it when the brakes are cold? My ferrodo pads sometimes feel gritty through the pedal until they are warm. The sensation through the pedal feels as if they are moving!
Old 06-07-2015, 03:39 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Might as well check shoelaces for tightness, too.

Sounds like you might have excessive run-out on the discs, due to warpage or the hub faces needing cleaning.

It could also be either an air leak in the servo or the spring/valve being and issue, leading to pressure variations as you go down through the gears. That's quite a common one.

Another possibility is air in the ABS valve body; for some reason, Honda brake and clutch systems are absolute buggers to bleed properly.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it feel like a pumping action through the pedal? I get this when my abs is working.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Graves
Might as well check shoelaces for tightness, too.

Sounds like you might have excessive run-out on the discs, due to warpage or the hub faces needing cleaning.

It could also be either an air leak in the servo or the spring/valve being and issue, leading to pressure variations as you go down through the gears. That's quite a common one.

Another possibility is air in the ABS valve body; for some reason, Honda brake and clutch systems are absolute buggers to bleed properly.

Shoelaces tight

The discs are new pal so no warping. The fluid has been changed also and the feel is exactly the same.. Would the fluid change not have dispelled any air? If not then it's unlikly to have the exact same amount of air in giving same feel is it? Or is it not?
Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by mikefifth
Does it feel like a pumping action through the pedal? I get this when my abs is working.

No mate, it's more of a sinking feeling.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by stand_firm
Is it when the brakes are cold? My ferrodo pads sometimes feel gritty through the pedal until they are warm. The sensation through the pedal feels as if they are moving!

No, it's when brakes are up to "normal usage / driving temperature". I've had two different types of pads in also and still the problem remains.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

You would have thought a fluid change would shift it, bit some people believe that a surface 'roughness' inside the caliper castings causes micro-bubbles to stick and that driving over a bumpy road/getting them really hot on a track is the only way to get rid of them. Sounds dubious, but I've had bleeding problems after I've changed the bleeding calipers...

You've not stated how old/mileagy your car is.

Is there any sign of weeping on the master cylinder piston shaft, or fluid loss? It could be worn seals, or even corroded brake pipes.

It's obviously difficult doing diagnosis from this distance.

Quick Reply: Weird feeling when braking