UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

What influences your colour choice?

Old 07-16-2001, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What influences your colour choice?

OK, We have all seen the postings - I would just love the car in Bright Orange with Red spots, Bright Azure blue, power yellow, black, etc.

So what do you think influences people's choice of colour?

Shall I start?

I have a green CRX Esi. When washed it is beautiful and shines a lustrous green. When dusty it is unleaded dull green.

I love it but wouldn't want the same colour on my S2000. Although it is nice it doesn't seem (at least in my mind's eye) to be appropriate for a powerful sportscar.

I don't want my S2000 to be a 'hairdresser's car' but to be recognised for a subtle mix of power and elegance. The Silver i got looked great and worked with my perception of the car.

My new blue when I was in Japan also worked and I hope that I still feel this way when I get the new one next Saturday. There are some blues that look like they belong on Kid's toys (The early powder blue MX-5 was one that comes to mind).

To me Black is indeed an aggresive colour but again in my minds eye makes the car look smaller than it is.

Someone on the main board posted that they would love to get the car in Yellow. Now I am sure that they are sincere but I just cannot see how that would appeal.

So what influences your choice of colour? Amateur Freuds are welcome to comment, as are colour blind friends...

Sam.
Old 07-16-2001, 11:34 PM

I think that every car has to be judged on the colours the manufacturer makes available to it.

I swore I would never have another black car after my Corsa Sri. It looked amazing but was a bugger to keep clean.
However once a black S2000 was seen in the flesh I was hooked. The other colours were not an option.

I'm not a fan of red cars but the new BMW blood red available is gorgeous. The Z3Mcoupe looks really nice in it.

The only colour I would never ever have has to be white.
I have never seen a car which looks good in white and probably never will.

Silver is an excellent colour but the amount of silver Audis knocking around is a bit much.

I think what I am trying to say is that there is no one particular colour which tickles my fancy, it depends on the car and the colours available to that particular model when purchasing.

AnDy.
Old 07-17-2001, 01:03 AM

For me it was either silver or black.
Black is cool, very sober and stealthy, especially with black wheels and tinted windows (do a search for 'the reverend', he's a member from AZ, I think, and his car is awesome), but too hard to maintain clean.
Silver is the color that shows the lines of the car best, plus silverstone metalic is exclusive to our car.
Yellow?? leave that to americans!
Old 07-17-2001, 01:06 AM

Black - Nice
Blue - Nice under certain light
Silver - Too original (not a bad thing all the time)
White - Don't go there.
Red - Go faster red eh!, does not appeal.

ppl like different colours, it's just the way it is.

I have been thinking about colour for 3 weeks now, decided on the black though.

Often.
Old 07-17-2001, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still prefer my silver/red as far as the S2000 is concerned. My MR2 looked absolutely stunning in brilliant white. A guy I know who has owned Ferraris, Porsches, and just about every supercar you can think of will tell you that there are only two colours for a sports car: white and a certain red.
Old 07-17-2001, 02:18 PM

I wanted something that showed the crisp lines so here's my thoughts on how I chose.

Black- Owned one once and vowed never again- beautiful when
clean but that lasts for five minutes and shows every nick and stone chip

White - too bland

Red - still too bland and after 3 red cars we all need a change.

Sliverstone is more than silver, it changes colour in different light and it's a real pity that future owners will only be able to buy the same silver that's on all the common cars like TTs. So I have a silver/red.

Finally Yellow sounds and looks too much on first glance but a Ferrari 360 only has two real choices of colour Red and Yellow and having seen the yellow in the States it's stunning. It's pearlescent and yes very bright and sure to be an old Bill magnet
but I'd be the first in line if I could get one here.
Old 07-20-2001, 04:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hugely subjective this one, but here goes............there is cleaarly an aesthetic issue here, and I personally thing there is nothing better than a well polished, swirl/sctatch/ding free car. However, to me, this is not a practical proposition - I drive my car 50miles+ everyday, and it lives outside both at work and at home. (I also think the s2k looks pretty anonymous in black for some odd reason - I saw the ones at Goodwood - one on the Honda stand and the other in the supercar section - my father-in-law said it looked like an MX-5, and I must say he had a point).

Anyway, that is black out. Red is also a colour that looks great when polished. But this raises another issue with s2k colour selection - the interior - red paint is only available with a black interior, and IMHO the interior of the s2k with black leather is more than a little like the black hole of Calcutta! So that is red out.

New blue - excluded for the same reason - I cant imagine blue leather inserts looking good, so it would have to be black....back to Calcutta!

I personally think the White / red option looks good. But it is not available over here..

So, its back to the common choice (common being a very relative term here - I have only seen 3 stooks on the road - all the same day, Goodwood Sunday - since I took delivery of mine in April) Silverstone / red. I like silver cars - they do show the lines of the car well - to me it looks more aggressive in Silver than other colours, and I have learned to like the red interior - I was worried that it would be a bit brothel-chic! And the Silver paint is pretty forgiving after a few days without a wash.

Thats what I think..................

Ian
Old 07-20-2001, 04:34 AM

Is the red pillow box red or is it actually toned down a bit in the flesh?
Has anyone actually seen the new silver? Can you still order the stook in Silverstone?
Anyone have a number of a UK dealer that actually knows anything useful about the new model?

Often.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silver is probably what Honda believed was the best "show" colour as most of the brochure / publicity shots are done in that colour - one problem - most of them are pics with the top down, you also need to think what the car looks like with the black plastic roof - there are only a few colours which blend well with the shape and colour of the roof.

I wanted a discrete colour for the carpark and one which was not going to be "ordered for export" back to the UK - hence I chose midnight blue pearl. Unfortunately Honda does not have a classic colour to fall back on when in doubt - like Alfa red on a 156 is never a wrong choice.