UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Why does CAR hate the s2000???

Old 11-27-2001, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does CAR hate the s2000???

Everytime I read CAR and it mentions the word 's2000' it is immediately preceded or followed by the words 'detached steering' and 'loose rear'.

Pretty much all the other magazine companies in the world are crazy about the s2000. How is this so? If the car deserved putdowns surely Top Gear and the rest will criticise also, right?

The American journos are always s2000 fans - then again the car was made for the American roads.

Even here in NZ and over in Australia - no nastiness from the journos.

So, what's the real story? Perhaps the CAR journalists weren't paid by Honda to write the story and were pissed off????
Old 11-27-2001, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that they dislike it because it doesn't say Porsche or BMW on the boot!!!
Old 11-27-2001, 10:30 PM

I simply vote with my feet and do not buy publications which are mis informed and generally talk bollocks.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by AnDy_PaNdY
I simply vote with my feet and do not buy publications which are mis informed and generally talk bollocks.

You get enough of that on this site for free don't you ....
Old 11-27-2001, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by tokyo_james

You get enough of that on this site for free don't you ....
Enough? TJ wash your mouth out!
Old 11-28-2001, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by awinskill

Enough? TJ wash your mouth out!

Oooooops

Has that line been overstepped again...
Old 11-28-2001, 12:34 AM

..then again the car was made for the American roads.
Surely not. I found cars in America to have very soft suspension, enormous engines and top quality stereo systems
ie. comfortable cruisers

I know I would not like to drive my s2000 on New Jersey roads. It could disappear down some of the potholes they have (not to mention the radar traps behind every bush in 25 mph roads the width of our motorways).
Old 11-28-2001, 12:58 AM

A lot of the UK magazines don't seem to 'get' the S2000. They compare it to Boxsters (it's a lot cheaper and quicker.), Elise's (It's more a day to day car not a track toy.), BMW Z3 (It actually has a chassis and powerful engine as standard, not just posing ability.)

It's strange though, most of the magazines that gave average reviews back at the release, end up with some kind of recommendation later on. It's been a used buy in Autocar for example.

-Brian.
Old 11-28-2001, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Brian here. Also put yourself in the position of some of the tossers who are getting paid to play with all these cars! They're not considering them as a personal purchase and it's all too easy to be a little blase' just for the sake of something different to say. Revving to 9K revs and 6 gears is so different as well. How many of us had the car for a week or two before the realisation dawned that you can actually take it to 9K revs all day long and all through the gearbox and it wont actually blow up on you!

I think it takes more than a couple of hours round a circuit too, to start to fully appreciate the handling and sheer power that can be exploited once you're familiarised with it!

One of the best early appraisals IMHO was done by Car and Driver or was it Road and Track in the States where it was tested over a number of days against Porsche Boxster, BMW M Roadster, and Mercedes SLK by different reviewers in urban driving, interstate driving and finally a track day where it set a new lap record for it's class, beating all it's rivals was rated best overall by all reviewers with high marks.

Other mags who didn't rate the car like Evo have since started to slip in comments like "Best gear box at any price" Difficult to do a full about face I suppose when you've slagged the car off to start with.

Then there are the badge snobs a la Mr. Needell, but let's not go there!
Old 11-28-2001, 01:55 AM

I vote to appoint VBH as chief editor of all the mags and get the real story out there

BTW Cedric, I'll have to come down to your neck of the woods for some of these all day VTEC roads, round here I'm lucky to get VTEC once a day on my commute Good job I find the car so comfortable and tractable round town

Quick Reply: Why does CAR hate the s2000???