UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Why Now?

Old 04-08-2002, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just checked mine and had to put 2L in !! to get it back above the min mark...
Old 04-08-2002, 01:14 PM

I have just come across this group six months after buying my S2000. Very interesting reading it makes. I have been checking my oil levels every month since new but I don't find the dipstick the clearest I have used. Is it just me or do others have problems.
Old 04-08-2002, 01:18 PM

I have to admit that I checked mine tonight and it was only 2 off the minimum. As always, being useless, while filling up I managed to spill it all over the engine.
Old 04-08-2002, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by ianl
Not surprisingly (as I also use Geo Collins) I got the same letter this morning.
Yep, i got mine from Geo too. i use Mobil 1.

3 year service in October so probably get a full oil change then (although only got 11,000 miles at the mo).....
Old 04-09-2002, 12:05 PM

I have been checking the oil every other week since new (March 1st), in the last two weeks it has dropped from maxto near min (approachinh 1800 miles).

I will fill up with Mobile 1 as most people seem to recommend, however, I am confused about when to measure. The manual states "Wait a few minutes after turning the engine off before checking the oil level". This is contradicted earlier in this thread, with the recommendation of checking when cold ?

Which is correct as the level is bound to be higher when cold as the oil drops into the sump ?
Old 04-09-2002, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by BIG Al (UK)
I have been checking the oil every other week since new (March 1st), in the last two weeks it has dropped from maxto near min (approachinh 1800 miles).

I will fill up with Mobile 1 as most people seem to recommend, however, I am confused about when to measure. The manual states "Wait a few minutes after turning the engine off before checking the oil level". This is contradicted earlier in this thread, with the recommendation of checking when cold ?

Which is correct as the level is bound to be higher when cold as the oil drops into the sump ?
Common sense approach needed I think. Check when cold if you can remember. If on the other hand you want to check your oil on a long run; which I would certainly do, especially if you've been thrashing on a bit, then the "Wait a few minutes" advice would be correct. I would never ignore the fact that my oil level was down, i.e. wait to top up. I top up straight away however small the amount. This is a very high performance engine, don't take chances with it!
Old 04-09-2002, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by NJHB
I have to admit that I checked mine tonight and it was only 2 off the minimum. As always, being useless, while filling up I managed to spill it all over the engine.
Bummer! I did that sometime ago topping up in the dark like a prat! I only spilled a small amount, but it stunk the car out for ages!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:21 AM

I've been thru 5 litres of Castrol GTX (dino-oil) in 6000 miles.

The most frustrating thing is the actual topping up - it must be one of the most difficult engines to fill up. I've spilt oil every single time!

I've now resorted to decanting the oil from the 5l container into a plastic jug, but still managed to spill it!

What's the secret? Or am I naturally clumsy (or just too short )
Old 04-11-2002, 01:31 AM

You need a funnel really. The problem is if you get too big a funnel you haven't got room to tip the oil in the funnel because you're near the back of the engine and the angle of the boot lid is restricting your pouring height. I've got a cheapo set of plastic funnels that slot into each other Russian Doll style. The smallest one is only about a couple of inches in diameter so is too small. One of the intermediate sizes is just right although because of the limited size, you need to pour a bit at a time. My one mishap in the dark was because I didn't realize the funnel was full.

Can't remember where I got 'em from. Probably Halfords!
Old 04-11-2002, 04:04 AM

Don't feel too bad about your spills.

A friend of mine got a new Astra many years ago. He is totally unmechanical and told me how it had taken him five hours to top up the oil I went out to the car park and asked him to show me the process. He proceeded to take out the dipstick, put in a tiny funnel in the dipstick hole and very slowly pour in some oil. It took about ten minutes to get a teaspoon in

This is true - I saw it

Quick Reply: Why Now?