UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Winter tyres fitted... euwww!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tyres fitted... euwww!

So I had some Kumho KW27 winter tyres fitted to the back of the S2 at the weekend and I immediately didn't like them.

Now I've done a few miles I REALLY don't like them.

The car feels absolutely shit, like it's riding on jelly. At 30mph it's fine but driving at 6/10th's it's just awful, it's as if I'm driving a milk float! Constantly feels like it's going to break away but it's obviously not.

I can only assume the side walls are very soft compared to the Bridgestones they've just replaced which must be very stiff. This makes sense as they are after all a snow tyre.

I'm running 32psi at the back at the moment, can I pump them up to max (40?), will that help?

I can't drive like this until March...
Old 12-11-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

34 psi helps ... but this is the softer nature of the t read blocks, NOT the sidewalls.

Bear with them - they're far better than they feel once the temperatures drop - needs to be reliably 7 degrees or less.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, mine don't go on until it's consistently horrid weather wise and is frosty/freezing.
Old 12-11-2013, 03:51 PM

And why just the back?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 AM

And if there's no significant snow this year, you're going to feel really stupid.

Putting them only on the rear sounds like a catastrophically bad idea.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like somebody is trying to skimp on cost. Having them only on the back is going to make for some interesting handling....

I've never bothered with winter tyres, granted I don't do huge miles, and I don't live up north / Scotland, but do many people bother fitting winters? I thought it was just for girly BMW drivers
Old 12-12-2013, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a few girls on the rav4 forum that put them on and they're 4wd. Though we don't really get the proper snow where I live unlike a lot of areas. It all depends on where you live I guess.

Mind you winter tyres aren't just for snow. Better for driving on cold dry roads than normal tyres. I have noticed how slippy the roads have got in the last couple of weeks.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Winter tyres work in < 7 degree temperatures. They disperse standing twater better, they work better in the cold, they also work in snow but generally you have far more grip in the winter - if you use your car properlyh over the winter months and don't have an alternative to bang around in - they are very much worth it. Especially if you fit scabby 16" wheels - you get a much more compliant ride.

I dunno what the fasccination is with them only being for 'snow'. Mine got me out of a very cold and muddy SantaPod last year at Flame and Thunder - everything else was getting stuck on the hail / grass / mud.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by RattyS2k
Mind you winter tyres aren't just for snow. Better for driving on cold dry roads than normal tyres. I have noticed how slippy the roads have got in the last couple of weeks.
Yes it's been horrendous the last few weeks. But cold and wet doesn't concern me; I can get through cold and wet on my summer only high performance tyres absolutely fine, although I'll conceed that winter tyres may well allow you to drive faster. Snow does concern me as I know from experience there's a point where I won't be able to get home.

Of course you could have a 4x4 with über-snow tyres and still get stuck because of all the other numpties blocking the road.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:08 AM
J_B

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Those Kuhmo winters (from what I have heard) are ideally to be used on snow, wet roads are not their strength. For the UK you have to be very careful which 'winter tyre' you choose because what you really need is something good on cold wet/dry roads for 90% of the time, and snow for the small number of days we actually get snow. A lot of winter tyres are designed to be used on snow and slush for most of their use and if you buy those in this country you will have problems.

I did a lot of research before buying Nokian WRD3s, because they are great on snow and wet roads alike. The grip I have on cold wet conditions is phenomenal compared to the normal Bridgestone RE050 tyres. Don't write off winters, you just have to do research and buy the right ones.

Quick Reply: Winter tyres fitted... euwww!