UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Are you looking to get your car tuned?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you looking to get your car tuned?

Afternoon chaps,

I feel obliged to share my experience with www.ajituning.co.uk (s2konroids).

I recently got stuck in a pickle with my car because my current tuner had not got round to sending me my basemap before going away. I emailed AJ and explained my situation and he happily agreed to send me over a basemap to get the car running so i could get it home from my friends garage.
Not only did AJ provide me with a map the next day but he went above and beyond any possible expectations to ensure that my basemap provided me with exactly what i needed to complete the 150mile journey by making sure the AFR was perfect. He didn't give up even when it was perfect, he wanted it better than that.

A true perfectionist and a legend with unquestionable talent. His prices were also half what i was expecting!

Cheers AJ

Louis
Old 08-03-2015, 03:59 AM

Awesome dude,

I shall give him a shout when it comes to getting my car sorted then!
Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't realise someone was doing etuning in the UK. I'm using VitViper for my car, couldn't be happier with the progress.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 AM

VitViper is good but the service from AJ was far more personal. AJ also uses teamviewer to remote tune your car rather than data logging and waiting for new emails etc. Far smoother service if you are UK based.

Liam, thanks for the injectors pal, they are the nuts! Also, you are running a GT35R aren't you? Thats AJ's setup so he's in the know!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Louisq
VitViper is good but the service from AJ was far more personal. AJ also uses teamviewer to remote tune your car rather than data logging and waiting for new emails etc. Far smoother service if you are UK based.

Liam, thanks for the injectors pal, they are the nuts! Also, you are running a GT35R aren't you? Thats AJ's setup so he's in the know!
Cheers. Bit too late for me to look into it I think, I'm on revision 12 or so now so the tune is progressing nicely.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:35 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

s2konroids has been mapping my car for a couple of months now.

I fitted a PLX wideband and gauge when the engine management was still the standard Honda ecu and at times the AFR was very close to 14 and at vtec crossover it would hit 14.5.

My car is relatively standard apart from AEM V2 intake, decat and the Tanabe exhaust.

I have previously mapped a car years back using an Emerald Ecu on my old rover so i have a fair bit of knowledge of the subject and what goes into it. I took the time out to download the AEM EMS V2 manual and get familiar with how it works. The one difference between now and back then is that widebands have moved on massively and modern ECUs can do alot with wideband feedback switched on.

The main reason i went with AJ is that i could probably map the car with fuel easily enough but setting the ignition timing and knowing what is knock and what is just noise is purely down to experience and expertise. He sorted me out a good deal for the ECU and a full tune which takes about 20 or so map revisions.

We are pretty much there now with my map apart from tweaking the timing and me getting it on a dyno. Its been a painless experience for me and with alot going on in my life at the moment its been handy to be able to send off datalogs when it suits me. AJ has always responds pretty quickly and if you take the time out to look at the maps and datalogs you can see the subtle adjustments he makes on each map revision.

I'm at the point now where the car runs about 13 throughout the rev range at WOT so its nice and safe and if and when i take it out on track the extra fuel will help cool things down where as before it was running lean at times.

On light throttle loads the mixture is controlled by the wideband feedback built into the AEM and this is very good at what it does. It reacts very quickly and starts adding or cutting fuel to meet a target mixture value. Yesterday i brimmed the fuel tank and i had managed to get 175 miles out of 30 litres of fuel. Thats pretty bloody good when you consider that involved a fair few WOT runs so that i had data to send to AJ.

Im going to upgrade my pump and injectors at some point so when i do that i will get AJ to check everything out again for me. Its straight forward to rescale the fuel tables for new injectors but that doesn't mean it will be 100% right.

It takes longer than a trip to the dyno but its well worth it if your not in a massive hurry. Plus your datalogs show real world driving where as recreating that on a dyno is not always as easy as that.

Thumbs up from me!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Louisq

Awesome dude, glad you got them in the end!

Did they fit straight in ok with no troubles?

Im running a borgwarner s366 mate, so different to his, but Im sure he will be able to help me with my car
Old 08-03-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nothing but praise for AJ also!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I keep meaning to reply to this thread with abit more info

AJ has now finished all of my mapping and spent along time trying to iron out a few rich and lean spots in the map that for whatever reason seemed to be very persistent. Anyway the map is pretty much spot on now and he has given me 3 maps

conservative
balanced
aggressive

Each one has different ignition timing at WOT. I have been busy of late so i have not had chance to get the car on a dyno and get 3 different runs, one on each map.

Now that i have had the AEM for a while its a great bit of kit but one frustrating issue is the idle control in traffic. Its very on and off and switches on at 1700rpm so when your crawling along at low speeds you have to dip the clutch to stop it kicking in and jolting the engine. If you turn it down you find that the revs can hang at idle. Im sure its not helped by my engine mounts which allow very little movement. I might change them in the future.

Other than that i cant Fault AJ with his tuning and response. Car drives fine and on the odd occasion i hit the limiter it pops and bangs when the ignition cut and fuel cut kick in.

Another good thing about AJ is that he is not scared to pass on his knowledge. I asked him alot of question over the phone one afternoon and he answers them and is honest. I have learned alot about the ECU just through mucking about with it and looking at what AJ has done in each map revision.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:17 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Did he try and touch you?

Quick Reply: Are you looking to get your car tuned?