UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

You Spin Me Right Round S2K.

Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tyres are an issue. Driving ability more so. I thought I could drive and learnt the hard way. Now I drive more smoothly and just as quick (or slow!) and I've not had any "moments" in the past three years.

I do agree that LSD can catch you out though. Its a more raw sports car than most but I've become to love it more for that reason. Mine doesn't understeer like the standard car but its less progressive too - driver training and track days are useful learning tools.

As for the Elise being better at 100 in the wet than an S2000 at 60 - give us a break Bada its VERY boring!

(yes, I have driven a 111S in the wet as well....)
Old 12-12-2006, 11:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats right guys S2000s just jump off the road...................

No really they do Honda designed and developed an dangerous car then released it to the masses.........

No driver error at all..........they just spin round and jump off the road..........................
Old 12-12-2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Dec 13 2006, 08:39 AM

As for the Elise being better at 100 in the wet than an S2000 at 60 - give us a break Bada its VERY boring!
The Elise I was playing with the other day was all over the shop just the same as me!

Didn't look that impressive to me.......
Old 12-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, its very impressive (if you've just spent loads of cash on one and constantly need to justify the purchase, even when the rattly, water leaking thing is driving you nuts in the winter ).

All we need now is Jamie to post about his 911
Old 12-12-2006, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grahamb,Dec 13 2006, 01:21 AM
No, I wouldn't like to add the LSD, it seems fine to me

I know I'm asking for trouble by saying this but (touches all the wood around him), I've never had so much of a twitch from mine except when I've hit the gas too soon on a slippery corner.

Even on hitting standing water at 60 on the M6.

I'm not professing to be a driving god either - I've never been on track, never had any instruction, yet I seem to be able to use mine as a daily driver without any issues. I'm not exactly ragging the arse off it but I'm not doing 10mph either. I tend to do around the various speed limts (that's not a moral stance about speeding, just the benchmark I tend to use).

My only concession to treating it gingerly is for the first 10 minutes each day while the S02s warm up.

& i do rag the arse off it when i know i can.

Barely a problem or twitch. If it does twitch its because i wanted it to.

Its all down to driver ability..........& that includes not reading road conditions correctly.

Ed
Old 12-12-2006, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Dec 13 2006, 08:45 AM

All we need now is Jamie to post about his 911
Yep 6000bhp, 42 tonnes and never a twitch in the wet...........
Old 12-12-2006, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand why people have their concerns, I was driving over the Welsh hills earlier this year in a downpour and I lost count of the number of white vans and repmobiles that overtook me but you have to make allowances with this kind of car.
I don't really hammer it too hard but I had my 01 sideways a few times and managed to catch it usually exiting corners, only spun it once but would have lost traction in most cars on that occasion. The VSA seems to work quite well on the 06 it only seems to cut in at the very limit, just when you need it so to Honda for that!
Old 12-12-2006, 11:56 PM

I've made the tough decision never to own another S.

Living in the west of Scotland and my recent accident caused by a combination of rain and low rear tyre tread made me come to the conclusion that although I could change my tyres sooner, I couldn't really do much about the weather we get here.

When a sportscar can't follow an unladen van through a puddle of standing water at 45mph without instantly swapping ends and shooting across oncoming traffic, it is a sad day.

BTW, the tyres were officially above the legal limit. Just worn.

I challenge aynone on this forum to honestly say the S isn't an absolute nightmare to drive in the wet. On many occasions in the wet I would have been easily and significantly faster and safer in the Alfa...Even before my crash, every section of standing water had my bum clenching tightly in anticipation. Motorways being particularly scary.

After only three months of ownership I have come to the conclusion that the S is not the car I hoped it would be.

Don't let me detract from the pleasure of a great drive on a dry day though. It IS a magnificent car in the dry.

It's the transformation from this to utter pig in the wet that and the obvious fact of a total write-off of a group 20 car that has made me decide not to replace it with another S.

That's just the way I feel. I thought, initially, that I'd feel better a while after the accident but if anything I feel more strongly about the cars abilities. I'm completely back to normal now and have been thinking about this as objectively as I can and this is still how I feel...

Go on. Cheer me up. Someone post something funny
Old 12-13-2006, 12:01 AM
ge2

I still think the biggest cause is panic, the back steps out a tiny bit and the driver goes mental at the wheel trying to sort it out, even though it doesn't need sorting out, and turns it into a tank slapper.

..just had to stop myself typing something and tempting fate there, I've only got the car for one more week

It's quite possible Bada's Elise is "better" in the wet, but the 111r is probably a lot more numpty friendly than they used to be because they're appealling to a much wider market now*

*that's not a dig at you or your car BB
Old 12-13-2006, 12:03 AM
ge2

Just out of interest, does anyone who's done a few wet trackdays or some driver training still think it's *that* bad in the wet?

Quick Reply: You Spin Me Right Round S2K.