UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

You've probably heard this a million times but.....

Old 08-16-2001, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You've probably heard this a million times but.....

I'm currently trying to decide on my next car and...you guessed it, one of the top contenders is the S2K.
I'd previously discounted the car because of reviews I'd read when the car was launched and 'blokes down the pub' (you know the type).
Anyway, one of my friends recently bought one and he has talked of nothing else (on email, he's back home up North so I haven't seen the car yet), which got me thinking. I would be getting the car on the company car scheme (yeah I know.... ) and the other cars I'm considering are the Audi S3 and the Elise.
I'd be grateful for any help, I know I'm not speaking to an impartial group here, i've asked the same question of S3 enthusiasts (I currently drive an A3TSport and am a member of an A3/S3 board similar to this) and Elise owners. I have a test drive weekend in the offing courtesy of Norton Way Honda who supply the cars for Leaseplan (the leasing company), as well as drives in the S3 and Elise but would welcome input from real-world ovners owners.
Sorry if this is the sort of thing you hear all the time, please feel free to moderate if it's unsuitable.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

PS. What the hell is a MUZ mat?
Old 08-16-2001, 03:59 AM

Your talking about 3 quite different cars and you really need to ask yourself which one suits you best, my opinions below:-

Elise - Quick accelerating go-cart handling car but extremely unrefined, the interior consists of two clocks and very little creature comfort, the hood is also know to leak. Reliabilty also not a strong point, my colleagues was back 6 times within the first 18 months. A good track day car but not for me as an every day car.

S3 - A fast reliable familly hatchback, nothing at all wrong with the car but is this what you really want? if space is a requirement then this is the car for you but it probably won't make you grin like the other two. Oh, and its got 4 seats.

S2000 - - See Elise but add reliability and creature comforts and a tad more storeage space (but not much)

BTW, a MUZ mat is a mat that goes in the roof well to protect the plastic rear window.

And don't forget to go over 6K on your test drive!!!!!

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2001, 04:36 AM

Cheers Jason, bit of a stupid question really i suppose.
I know the cars are very different, I like them all for different reasons, the original choice was between the Elise (driver appeal) and the S3 (dry, comfortable and I'd get to work with my hearing intact), then the prospect of the S2000 came up and it seemed like it offered all the benefits of the Elise with a lot less of the downsides (which you confirmed).
Space and practicality are not an issue as my other half is getting a 'sensible' car around the same time.

It's just that I hear so much enthusiasm from S3 owners, i need to hear what it is about the S2000 that makes people love it. If you guys appreciate things in the car that I would appreciate, it might persuade me that it's the car for me. I have to live with it everyday, I know the shortcomings of RWD in the wet and cold and am wiling to put up with them for that something special.

Sorry to be a pain.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MarkB
[B]Cheers Jason,
Old 08-16-2001, 05:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you are extremely fortunate to get a choice of a 2 seater for a company car - that's a great deal.

Of course a lot of it depends what you are going to use the car for.....the Audi is a very quick dependable hatch ...the S2K is a sportscar.

An engine which has been purposebuilt for this car only - down to every little detail - a chassis with no compromises taken for space .....all these things are for just one thing.....pure racing spirit.

When you sit in the seat of an S2K for the first time and put your hand on the metal gearstick and select a gear, you will know the difference between an Audi and the S2K. The Honda is pure exhibition of racing know how - the Audi is after all, a mass produced platform chassis with some extra bits and pieces to make it hustle along very well.

When you try and drive an S2K at your 10/10ths in takes your full concentration and attention because you are going very quickly - and its fun - but tough. However the car probably can go quicker - it's more limited by the drivers ability. The speed at which you catch up without even trying to the regular traffic - when going through a series of corners compares to being the leader in an F1 race stuck behind a pace car.

My only reservation for the Honda is that if it is your only available means of transportation - it can be limiting, sometimes I regret not getting a coupe just to be able to get the kids in the back - but having a sports car is not about driving the family about at top speeds.

Compared to a Lotus? I have never driven one so I don't have the right to really comment - but I would be concerned about durability - the smell of fibre glass etc and general lack of overall support you get compared to a major manufacturer - it would have to be very special. Before I ordered my S2K - I was offered a TVR Chimera by a colleague - but when I found that the owner had "invested" 5k just to get it back in shape - I realised the S2000 was a performance bargain.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kobe
[B] ...the S2K is a sportscar.

An engine which has been purposebuilt for this car only - down to every little detail - a chassis with no compromises taken for space .....all these things are for just one thing.....pure racing spirit.

When you sit in the seat of an S2K for the first time and put your hand on the metal gearstick and select a gear, you will know the difference between an Audi and the S2K. The Honda is pure exhibition of racing know how - the Audi is after all, a mass produced platform chassis with some extra bits and pieces to make it hustle along very well.

When you try and drive an S2K at your 10/10ths in takes your full concentration and attention because you are going very quickly - and its fun - but tough. However the car probably can go quicker - it's more limited by the drivers ability. The speed at which you catch up without even trying to the regular traffic - when going through a series of corners compares to being the leader in an F1 race stuck behind a pace car.
Old 08-16-2001, 05:34 AM

and I forgot, the S2K looks better than the Audi - it's more of a head turner.
Old 08-16-2001, 07:37 AM

MarkB:

I don't think you can make a valid comparison between the S3 and your other 2 choices. The Elise is a great handling fun car but it's loyalest supporters would call it quirky, and sadly, often unreliable. Off the mark the Elise would get away quicker than the S2000 but would soon be passed as VTEC kicked in and all those lovely horses started getting out of the box The top end speed is also much higher on the S2000. I've heard the S2000 described as an Elise you can use every day and it's not a bad description. You wouldn't want to drive 500 miles in an Elise but you can do it comfort in the Honda. The S2000 has some of the most comfortable and supportive seats, you'll sit in. at any price!The S2000 is a unique car and it isn't for everyone nor is it meant to be. A test drive is a must and as someone said, if you haven't exploited the VTEC you haven't experienced it at all. I've used mine every day for 16 months with no problems at all and as things stand at present I wouldn't even consider anyrthing else when it's time to change
Old 08-16-2001, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
MarkB:

I don't think you can make a valid comparison between the S3 and your other 2 choices. The Elise is a great handling fun car but it's loyalest supporters would call it quirky, and sadly, often unreliable. Off the mark the Elise would get away quicker than the S2000 but would soon be passed as VTEC kicked in and all those lovely horses started getting out of the box The top end speed is also much higher on the S2000. I've heard the S2000 described as an Elise you can use every day and it's not a bad description. You wouldn't want to drive 500 miles in an Elise but you can do it comfort in the Honda. The S2000 has some of the most comfortable and supportive seats, you'll sit in. at any price!The S2000 is a unique car and it isn't for everyone nor is it meant to be. A test drive is a must and as someone said, if you haven't exploited the VTEC you haven't experienced it at all. I've used mine every day for 16 months with no problems at all and as things stand at present I wouldn't even consider anyrthing else when it's time to change
Amen.
Old 08-16-2001, 04:15 PM
tnt

And Amen

MarkB,

I can't comment on the other cars as this is my first sports car. So what I have to say is from the heart.

I, or should I say we, love our S2000:
- A great shape. That's what attracted us to the S2000 in the first place.
- It gives me that adrenaline rush on my way to work: Get's me going in the morning.
- Gives me that adrenaline rush on my way back from work: Cheers me up in the evening.
- The anticipation as you approach 6000. The sheer thrill as the VTEC cuts in and when you get to 9000....well
- But it can also be driven round town
- Great over long and short journeys. Even my wife, who is very critical of car seats, finds the seats in the S2000 gives her all the support she needs.
- You'll find yourself taking the long journey home
- The electric roof means that as long as it's dry it's "top down time".
- The boot is big enough for a holiday away.
- It'll even take a bike rack (I have this on good authority)
- And it's still an exclusive car (if that's what you're into)

What don't we like about it? Very little, thankfully:
- Quality of the Honda footwell mats
- Our dog definitely doesn't like it, the suspension is too stiff for her comfort.
- Not enough storage space in the cockpit
- Roof cover is large and cumbersome
- Position of the headlamp washer switch

I sincerely hope you enjoy your test drive. Please let us know how it went.

Quick Reply: You've probably heard this a million times but.....