Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

2 Day AutoX school 3/31 - 4/1

Old 03-15-2007, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bartekb93' date='Mar 13 2007, 08:15 PM
Not only is it 8am-5pm, but it's two days at that!

As to what you do there... for some people it's a good way to learn how to drive their car, how to push it in a safe environment with minimal risk (ie. if you spin you might hit a cone or a few, rather than a light pole etc), others might be looking at how to improve auto-x skills they already have (looking ahead, staying closer to the cones, being able to see the "line" etc).

If you've never done an auto-x before, this will be a combination of both - you'll get a chance to learn about the sport (there's 1/2 day in class presentation on the 1st day) as well as get a shot at it behind the wheel (2nd half of 1st day, and 2nd day). You'll be paired up with an instructor who'll show you the ropes and ride with you. The 2nd day the event is run almost like a regular auto-x in the sense it's divided into heats and you get to run one of them and you get to work another (and you get one heat off to watch others if you so desire, talk with your instructor etc). All in all, it's a great way to become a better driver regardless if you continue to auto-x or not.

Regular tires are just fine for this. The car has to pass basic safety inspection (securely attached battery, working seatbelts, no bad wheel bearings, no sticky throttle or brake pedal, no loose objects in the car, empty trunk etc). You'll also need a helmet, but loaners will be provided.
Thanks - just registered. Sounds like this is right up my alley with all the instruction for beginners. I don't have a helmet, so I guess all I need to do is show up! Hope the weather is good!
Old 03-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Hoping for good weather too!
Old 03-16-2007, 10:44 PM

talking to 2 buddies....hopefully all 3 of us will have our first autocross experience soon
Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM

Did that last year.... it was fun driving in downpour!! Also it was fun standing at the starting line directing cars to take off.... except afterwards it turned my leather jacket into a wrinkled up crap... which never really went back to its original shape. But the driving part was AWESOME!!! I honestly can say I learned quite a bit! even I sucked at it...

I thought about signning up for this one but unfortunately I'll be out of the country until that weekend.... it'd be kinda tough getting off the plane and immediately dodging cones while fighting jet-lag.... you peeps have fun!

BTW, it's good to hear from you ToeKnee! PM me you cell phone #. Need to check in with you!

K
Old 03-17-2007, 04:29 PM

registered.

i think i saw like 5 or 6 S2Ks registered. dont know who they are.

see you all at the end of the month
Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 PM

i registered...and my buddies with a gti and volvo 850 registered too. looking forward to meeting you guys
Old 03-28-2007, 04:49 PM

The student/instructor list is out and I have two students, both with S2000's, one an '03 and one an '06. I don't want to post real names on the forums without permission.

As of this writing the weather on Saturday looks like it may be a bit wet, but Sunday looks great. Remember the event is rain or shine, so don't miss out.

There are 7 students with S2000's registered.

I will have my 2004 there.

Looking over the list, there will be some other fun cars to watch too.

Lotus Exige and Elise
C6 Vette's
Plenty of STI's and EVO's
Possibly a Skyline, hope it's a real one?!?! It's classed in D-stock so I doubt it is.
Solstice

A couple tips among the million more you will get this weekend.

Check your cars' fluids on Friday and take any action needed then. When I took the Learning Curve a student in my group was over a quart low on oil in his EVO8, DOH!

Gas and snacks are best bought away from the event area. The only gas station very near the track is crappy in my opinion. Lunch is provided gratiously by K & M Magnetics, but you may want more or different stuff than what is there.

Try to have at least a half tank of gas at the beginning of the day(s). I know every bit of weight works against cars like the S2K with our lack of low end torque, but you absolutely don't want fuel starvation on the course either. The exit's on I-80 have all the normal stores/stations you will need.

I will try to have some extra junk that's typically needed but look over the checklist(s) available on the net and see what you need.

DON'T SPEED ON ROUTE 53!!!!!!!!!!! COPS ARE EVERYWHERE IN THIS AREA.

PM me or post here if any of you have any questions.

See ya' this weekend, it's going to be a blast!

Jerry
Old 03-28-2007, 05:32 PM

i cant go balls out on the course. a problem i thought i fixed decided to come back. basically i cant go past 7k or else the car goes into limp mode.

vehicle should be free of loose objects/cargo correct? does that include the floormats?

where exactly at rt. 66 are we supposed to be at? the 1/4 mile strip or that oval track across the street?

anyone from chicago wanna meet up and ride there together?

my brother and friend might show up on sunday to watch. what is admission for spectators?
Old 03-28-2007, 08:07 PM

So what kind of tire pressure should we be running? I'll be putting on the summer tires before heading out, but have to drive about 50 miles to get there. I think I read somewhere we should be higher than 32 psi?
Old 03-29-2007, 04:42 AM

To Jeggy-

I don't want to discourage you from coming so I will say this. Make every effort to get your car fixed before the event. Often times you will be right up on the redline so this really could be an issue. This weekend however IS NOT about maximum performance/speed so we may be able to deal with this situation. The Learning Curve is more about tecnique, safety, logistics and beginning your autocross career with good habits. Your instructor may also just let you use his/her car too. But you need to find that out in advance.

Before tech inspection your car needs to have ALL loose objects removed, including floormats. Floormats are removed because they can move up underneath your pedals possibly producing a safety hazard or at a minimum a distraction you don't need on the course. Loose objects in glove compartments etc. can make noise that can be distracting too, so it's best if the car is cleaned out.

There will be plenty of room at any autocross you attend to take all that junk out and place it out of the way. Most locations are very secure and only attended by other car people so your stuff is generally safe. HOWEVER, use your judgement about very valuable items being left unattended. Many people use plastic storage boxes to hold all the stuff while it is outside the car. They are waterproof, easy to cover, and you can write your name on them.

I believe the event is being held in the south parking lot of the dragstrip. Maybe someone can post this info that knows for certain.

There is no price for admission. They will have to sign a waiver and wear a wristband proving they have signed. Make sure they bring a camera/video to record some runs.

Anyone doing photo's/video needs to have a helper/spotter who can watch for safety issues while the photog is watching their subjects.

To Hondabert-

You should drive to any event on appropriate street tire pressures. To do otherwise is asking for problems.

IF you can, you should bring your own battery/car plug-in mini compressor or a fully charged air tank to bring up your tire pressures for the event. There will likely be plenty of people there that will loan you their compressor, but it can take awhile to pump up all the tires which may stress their ability to get ready themselves.

FOR THE EVENT we will be upping tire pressures. I usually start an event at around 35-40 PSI. This will vary for a number of reasons and your instructor will be going over that with you on Saturday.

Quick Reply: 2 Day AutoX school 3/31 - 4/1