Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

all the recent car theft

Old 04-25-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default all the recent car theft

It feels like there a stolen s2000 once a month. A few years ago is when "this is getting silly". Last year was when "this is getting out of hand".
This year everyone should have had some sort of anti-theft device installed already. This situation is no longer "getting outta hand", it IS outta hand. Anyone that posts up that their car was stolen has been warned with dozens of times already with past threads of people waking up to an empty parking spot.
We know thieves are out there. We know they are targeting our cars. We know they are stealing them with relative ease. We know that theives will come to nice neighborhoods and quiet neighborhood. They are not sitting and waiting for you to park your car in their hood. They are comming after you at your house!

I'm comming across as an asshole for saying this but I Havnt felt sorry for anyone that had their car stolen in the last year. Not a single person that reported their car stolen on here said they had taken anti-theft measures besides parking in a gerage. And none on them are completely New to this site so they knew of recent thefts.

PROTECT YOUR SHIT!
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 AM

I can agree what your saying but disagree at the same time. Ya a lot of s2000 have been stolen but it isn't any of our faults. It's the bullet no one sees coming. I think most of us don't think we need a security system cause we don't expect it to happen to us. Plus knowing the cost of the system can burn a hole in your pocket. My car is parked in the garage so I don't worry at night expecting my car to be gone in the morning. This isn't stopping me from
Driving my car . What we should do is set up a bait car with cameras and catch these fools!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Your foolish if you think an alarm is going to prevent them from taking your car, it will take a lot more then just an alarm and your car will never be theft proof even if parked in a garage.

The best advice is to stay away from these larger meets. These are people IMO that are targeting your car. Sad that you can't enjoy yourself and take your car, modded or not, and meet other enthusiasts. There are plenty of members that have been on the boards since day one and never had any issues. In talking to them this is what stands out to me. They are older and don't attend these meets and drive there car to/from work or other events and then park it. Does not mean it can't/won't happen to them but take this with a grain of salt when you attend these meets.

I also suggest that you post on the FB page since its locked only to those that join and share ideas and thoughts there so that potential thieves are not free to read what your doing to prevent them to only make it easier for them to take your car.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 AM

I'd suggest people get alarms but get them installed the right way. Get a stealth install where it's not easily accesible by the driver side kick panel

i'd also suggest getting a two-way pager, that way you know when your car is being messed with (especially if you live in a building and can't see the car). but then again if they get a tow truck, then you better be fast on your feet.

AND this is the most important thing...get a hidden backup battery. thieves know you have to disable the car battery first if there's an alarm. they will pop the hood and pry off the battery terminal to get the car to stop making noise and or stop sending a signal to the two-way pager. the hidden backup battery is vital to stop this, it will keep the alarm powered so you have time to get notified and go after them with a bat.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rice069
I can agree what your saying but disagree at the same time. Ya a lot of s2000 have been stolen but it isn't any of our faults. It's the bullet no one sees coming. I think most of us don't think we need a security system cause we don't expect it to happen to us. Plus knowing the cost of the system can burn a hole in your pocket. My car is parked in the garage so I don't worry at night expecting my car to be gone in the morning. This isn't stopping me from
Driving my car . What we should do is set up a bait car with cameras and catch these fools!

Haha this is a great idea!!! who wants to volunteer there car??? Instead of camera's tho i say we just snipe there leg from about 100yrds out. Then they won't be able to drive the car away with a shattered tib/fib... lol
Old 04-25-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeggy
Not a single person that reported their car stolen on here said they had taken anti-theft measures besides parking in a gerage.

PROTECT YOUR SHIT!
A garage is not protection from theft, its only a more secluded space for a theif to work with less likelihood that someone will see them. Most home garages are 10 times easier to break into than a car. I've had family with cars stolen out of their garages, in very nice areas. Many car thefts are from garaged vehicles.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM

bait car talk has been around for years in the Civic/Integra groups but no one wants to volunteer a car.

If you're going to do it, you better have some law enforcement to back you up.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
The best advice is to stay away from these larger meets. These are people IMO that are targeting your car.
While I agree that mass meets such as Friday Night Lights and some of the mass text meets are begging for this sort of thing, the last few individuals have barely been to any, IF any meets, certainly with regards to s2ki meets.

When you see a highly modified car stolen, yes, I have a feeling it was targeted somewhere, but with these near-stock cars being stolen, I think the thieves are simply driving around and keeping an eye out for easy targets. Having your car anywhere in plain sight will subject it to this, regardless of where you drive it.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Your foolish if you think an alarm is going to prevent them from taking your car, it will take a lot more then just an alarm and your car will never be theft proof even if parked in a garage.

The best advice is to stay away from these larger meets. These are people IMO that are targeting your car. Sad that you can't enjoy yourself and take your car, modded or not, and meet other enthusiasts. There are plenty of members that have been on the boards since day one and never had any issues. In talking to them this is what stands out to me. They are older and don't attend these meets and drive there car to/from work or other events and then park it. Does not mean it can't/won't happen to them but take this with a grain of salt when you attend these meets.

I also suggest that you post on the FB page since its locked only to those that join and share ideas and thoughts there so that potential thieves are not free to read what your doing to prevent them to only make it easier for them to take your car.
By larger meets I assume you mean the multicar meets, not S2k specific ones. As far as i can tell, most (if not all) of the cars that were stolen haven't been regular participants here.

And regards to alarms and other theft deterrents. Yes, if theif wants your car they're going to take it. There's little stopping a professional or someone with a tow truck. That being said, that doesn't mean I'm going to leave my car unlocked with the keys in the ignition. It is pretty easy to make it difficult for a thief to drive away with your car and/or avoid being tracked.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 AM

Yes the larger JDM meets or similar ones that are more multi forum. IMO your targeting attn one way or another even if your not attending these meets. A random theft here and there your never going to prevent. But someone was targeting a few of these cars that were stolen. The recent one that was parked out side for one night was someone targeting that car and they possibly knew the car was going to be out over night. The most recent theft does seem more of being at the wrong place and the wrong time but I'm not aware of what this member did out side of work that could have caused any possible targeting. Wouldn't be my first thought but you cant rule it out.

I just think things should move to the FB page moving forward. Even small meets that are just our group its still free for anyone to read and camp out and follow any one of us home.

Quick Reply: all the recent car theft