Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Body Shop Recommendations - Chicago Western Burbs

Old 03-14-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body Shop Recommendations - Chicago Western Burbs

Someone scraped my fender while I was at work. The damage looks minimal, but I could see replacing the fender. Insurance says it's a hit and run (they're right) and so my deductable applies. I'm looking to find a few places to get quotes.

I looked at the 'paintless dent repair' thread, but it looks like that is over, and this isn't paintless.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a body shop in the western Chicago suburbs? I'm looking for someone who will do a good job and is reputable (ie: won't take my car out joyriding). I'm willing to drive a bit to get there, if the quality and reputation is good enough.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2005, 11:19 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

If it's just a fender that needs to be replaced and painted, drop off your old fender and the new one. Get the body shop to match the fender with the old one. When it's done, pick it up and remount it yourself.

The fender comes off quite easily.

You may have to park the car for a couple of days until you get the new fender painted though.

As for recommendations in the West burbs, I can be of no service. I don't have any experience with any shops out that way.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being new here I dont know of any, but I feel it is my duty to inform people to stay away from one particular shop named Nationwide Auto Body. They do not honor there warranty.

Let us know if and when you do get the work done, I am also looking for a quality shop to fix the defective work Nationwide did to my car.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An update:

Thank you for your replies. In the end, I want to take advantage of my insurance agent's experience. He recommended Gerber Collision, due to two things:

1. A set up with my insurance company stating that the work is paid for, period. No quotes or messing around. I get the work done and it's paid for (less my deductable, of course). I don't even need to mess with paperwork.

2. My agent's other customers have given the place good reviews. Apparently, it's a very reputable place.

My apologies for wasting your time with replies. In return, I'll write up my experience with Gerber for you all to use. My appointment is Saturday.

Thanks again
Old 03-14-2005, 04:00 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had my truck done at Gerber. They told me that the red would be a BIATCH to match, but they did a fantastic job. I couldn't tell at all.

Their hours were a little limiting, but I made it work.

As it was an insurance deal, I got a rental car from right across the street. Overall painless and easy.

They do good work, but I could not promise that they won't beat on a car. My advice would be to explain how anal you are about your car and politely explain that you are nervous about leaving your car anywhere. Then record the mileage. Write a note to yourself, then write the mileage on a post-it and attach it to the steering wheel.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine's at Royal Coach right now as we type
i obviously havent seen their work yet but their customer care is remarkable. They keep calling me to make sure that the parts they are getting are up to my standards and they are really fighting the insurance company for me so that they do write a small check for them
They were very very highly recommended by more 5 different people