Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Car wash for low cars

Old 10-29-2012, 07:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car wash for low cars

Car needs a wash but its cold and Ive been busy, so I need a car wash that friendly for low cars. I have always washed the car myself so don't know where to go, Woodfield area would be preferred.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a spray it yourself wash I've used near where Golf and Higgins intersect.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope you dont mean an automatic wash (the one you drive up onto rails).
Old 10-29-2012, 10:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Right I'm looking for a wash with no rails.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 AM

ok. The one that Garrison mentioned is the closest to Woodfield. There's also one on Barrington Rd just south of Schaumburg Rd. that i've used before as well.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Some gas station washes that are 'touchless' just have a since 12" section or rail you put 1 tire on that holds the car in place when the car wash is rotating around your car. I've gone through these in the Evo before without issue. Granted that was before it was dropped. When it's -5 degrees outside that last thing I want to do is spray my car with water for 5 minutes.

If you're anywhere near downtown Des Plaines there is a place at Rand Rd and River Rd that is part of the 7-11 gas station. It's a hand wash for $10...inside and out. I used to use that place all the time in the winter when I lived up there. Way better then having to wash your car in the cold.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Hand wash places are great for lowered cars, just make sure you drive thru something that will also spray under your car to blast out sand/salt. Many of the newer Self-Serve washes have these with no rails when you drive in. I suggest the hand washes if its an option.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Hand wash places are great for lowered cars, just make sure you drive thru something that will also spray under your car to blast out sand/salt. Many of the newer Self-Serve washes have these with no rails when you drive in. I suggest the hand washes if its an option.
with everything Mike is saying here. My go-to hand wash place is in the city (We Wash II on Halsted near Canalport) where they take good care of my car and give me extras for free now and then.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd look for a handwash place for a convertable. The automatic places tend to drive the water up under the seals around the windows. Even if it doesn't leak it can dammage the seals and eventually cause a leak.

That said, there is an automatic wash at 59 and Stearns in Bartlett (a pretty good haul from Woodfield) that has no rails/wheel guides. I have used it many times, but like I said, never for a 'vert. It is Just north of the intersection on the East side of 59. It's attached to an oil change place which is next to a Dunkin' Donuts/Baskin Robbins.

If people know of other car washes without the rails, I'd love to hear about them. I don't want to scratch the wheels of my daily driver.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by K1ngfunK
Originally Posted by passnu2' timestamp='1351553428' post='22116698
with everything Mike is saying here. My go-to hand wash place is in the city (We Wash II on Halsted near Canalport) where they take good care of my car and give me extras for free now and then.
I also go there when I am in the city. They do offer the undercarriage spray as well.

Quick Reply: Car wash for low cars