Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Chicago here I come!

Old 03-13-2005, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chicago here I come!

Well, its official, myself and the girl I've been seeing lately are planning on coming out to Chicago for April 15-17 just for a nice getaway weekend. We plan on going to a White Sox game vs. Seattle that Sunday afternoon, but other than that we really have no plans other than going into the city and maybe going to a few nice restaurants/bars/etc. Its going to be about a 7 hour drive from Duluth in the S, I hope all goes well b/c I've never been in a S2000 for longer than 20 minutes at a time (test driving). I bought my car and it went straight into winter storage and it probably won't be out until a week or two before we come to Chicago. I've been to Chicago twice before so I know some of the basics of the city, but if anyone has any ideas or places to go feel free to chime in. Chicago is a pretty big deal for us coming from a city of 85k people (20% of whom are college students...including us). We haven't decided on a hotel yet, but we're looking at staying in the western/northwestern suburbs. We found a few nice places online, we're going to decide on an exact one later this week. Anyways, I was just pretty happy about all this so I figured I'd share!
Old 03-14-2005, 08:09 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

We can probably be persuaded into having a meet that weekend.

Be sure to check out Navy Pier, Museum of Science and Industry, the Shedd Aquarium, the Adler Planetarium, the Field Museum and/or the Art Institute.

The prices for going up to the tops of the Sears Tower or the John Handcock buildings has gone WAY up in the last 10years or so with little added value. I personally don't think they are worth the trip anymore, but if you do go up, go up at night. It's a MUCH cooler view.

There are lots of boat tours of the lake and the river (The Wendella Boats do both) Wendella leaves from Michigan Ave, right at the base of the Wrigley Building.

For less educational fun, check out Dave and Buster's.

I always reccomend my favorite restraunt, Heaven On Seven. It's a Cajun place, and I think the food is better there than it was in MOST of the places I ate in New Orleans.

While in Chicago it's almost a crime NOT to have some Chicago Style Pizza. This is a topic of much debate, but it's hard to argue against Gino's East. I consider it the best pizza in town. Other's might suggest Lou Malnati's, Giordano's or Uno's. You really can't go wrong with any of the above.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Shit I used to go on Vacation to the twin cities.

Hit up science and industry for sure and the omnimax inside. They have the bodyworks exhibit right now, its kind of a rip off, and be prepared for crowds namely if you get good weather.

Stop by Millenium Park too since you will be down there.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:36 AM

Thanks for the info guys, keep it coming

Anyone ever heard of Homerun Inn Pizza? I can get their frozen pizzas here in the grocery store and its pretty decent. The box says they have a restaurant in Chicago thats been around for a long time.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:04 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Homerunn Inn......it's alright.

Lou's is the best in my opinion. We'll definitely try to make an S2000 meet for that weekend; in fact, if I'm not mistaken, the UBAB was supposed to be for that weekend.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:27 AM

Aslong as my female companion has nothing against it, I'd be up for a small gathering to get to know a few of you before FWT05.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:29 AM

As an update, I'll probably be staying at a hotel in either Oakbrook Terrace or Schaumburg. I've been to both cities before and had nothing against either. Both were close to the train heading into downtown too which was nice.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=ruexp67,Mar 14 2005, 11:09 AM]
The prices for going up to the tops of the Sears Tower or the John Handcock buildings has gone WAY up in the last 10years or so with little added value.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kracka,Mar 14 2005, 01:27 PM
I'd be up for a small gathering to get to know a few of you before FWT05.
Well, Luder94 is referring to the UBAB. The 'BA' stand for Big-Assed.

There will probably be 25+ cars there. (The last B is for Bar-b-que so there will be food and drinkage.)

It's a good time, you should definatly swing by.

If you have ANY interest in hanging out with us, we typically meet up in Schaumburg so that would be closer for that, and the UBAB will be MUCH closer to Schaumburg than Oakbrook.

The draw in Oakbrook is the Oakbrook Terrace mall. Woodfield mall in Schaumburg is bigger and better. Let the woman hit up the mall there and she will let you do whatever you want. The best part is that with the S there is not much room to bring much back. (Although be careful as it was pointed out this weekend that jewelry is small. )
Old 03-14-2005, 10:30 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

If you'll be spending time in Schaumburg, don't forget about IKEA.

Quick Reply: Chicago here I come!