Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

DragonBall Run 2005

Old 04-27-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 801 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by GChambers,Apr 26 2005, 06:28 PM
Matt,

I am pretty sure at this point that Catherine and I will be going again. But, we are going to do things differently this time. I am almost certain that we will just drive straight through from Indy to Louisville to Lexington on down I-75 by ourselves. The group drive from Cinci was interesting but a big waste of time. We left the hotel in Cincinnati at about 8:30 and didn't get to the Hotel until about 3pm. On the way home, Catherine and I left the hotel at about 9:45 Indy time and were home in Indy some time close to 3pm. If you guys want to run down there with us next time, we would enjoy having you along.

The Dragon was amazing. If you have not been there yet, I would strongly recommend making the trip. It was about 1000 miles round trip for us but totally worth it. We are talking about going this summer for a few days during the week after July 4th to avoid the traffic and maximize Dragon time.
The caravan is a bit of a waste of time. It was much smoother and much more fun when we only had 10-15 cars and the weather was better. Navigating 30 cars into and out of small towns, small bladders, and people who don't care about keeping the group together makes it somewhat difficult. The side trip was supposed to save time, but TNDOT's congestion warning seems to be unfounded. I'm a bit annoyed by that and apologize for going that way.

FYI, 'avoiding the traffic' is only possible mid week. Friday-Sunday is overrun with bikes during the day, unless the weather is bad like it was for WTD. Again, for what it's worth, things would have been very congested had the weather been better. Rain tends to keep the bikers away.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SR71BB,Apr 27 2005, 10:20 AM
Ack! that's the same w/e as the Central Division autox at Rt.66 speedway.

I might go down to Deal's Gap during the week after July 4, too - GM's shutdown, so I've got some time to play between autox's
HA!!!

We were planning on doing the same thing. I figured that week would be a good time to do. I am off that week as well. If you do go, post up a thread. Maybe we will have a few of us hook up down there that week.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:44 AM

i'd like to go, i'll make a decision when the time gets closer though
Old 04-27-2005, 04:04 PM

I'll be joining the UMW caravan this time!
Old 04-27-2005, 08:09 PM

i think i will go, how much did you guys end up spending for hotel/food/gas/etc when you went?
Old 04-28-2005, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by GChambers,Apr 27 2005, 01:52 PM
HA!!!

We were planning on doing the same thing. I figured that week would be a good time to do. I am off that week as well. If you do go, post up a thread. Maybe we will have a few of us hook up down there that week.
I don't think we met last w/e - I was the dirty spa yellow with the Tire Rack windshield banner & the 'Got Gap?' decal on the tail. I think a mid-week grope of the dragon would be a great idea - we just need to steal WSB away from his work, too!
Old 04-28-2005, 06:40 AM

Received 801 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by sidisen,Apr 27 2005, 11:09 PM
i think i will go, how much did you guys end up spending for hotel/food/gas/etc when you went?
I spent about $150 on gas. I had two tanks in the ~14 MPG range, the rest were 28-29 MPG. I normally would use another 20 gallons of gas, but the weather limited the driving. Food & drinks is entirely up to you; other than saturday lunch and sunday dinner which is included in your registration. I went to a fairly nice restaurant both thursday (in Cincinnati) and friday (Knoxville) nights, fast food for lunch on Friday, and junk food on the way home Sunday. I figure about $50 for food/beverages (on top of the event meals), and another $50 or so for adult beverages during the weekend. I didn't stay at the hotel, but I'm guessing the room ran about $190 for the two days.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:36 AM

Nice Video - Dragon at Dusk

F1DNA

Sebring/Black

T.D.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sidisen,Apr 27 2005, 10:09 PM
$55 for cinci hotel.
$160 for alcoa hotel.
$150 in gas for entire trip including dragon runs.
$150 in food/alcohol for 2 people starting thursday night through sunday afternoon. we ate mostly fast food, except for 2 meals at the hotel, and 1 meal out on the town.
$105 for registration for two people to WTD.

So $620 total trip. but if you cut back on eating out at nicer places or at the hotel and just go fast food, then you can cut back a lot of that expense. we had 3 free meals. the breakfast at the cinci hotel, plus the lunch and dinner saturday were free.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Banned

One other thing I would recommend doing is just driving down on Friday morning and driving straight to the hotel in Alcoa, Tn.. This would eliminate one night of meals and one night in the hotel.

Quick Reply: DragonBall Run 2005