Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Help me plan my cross country trip!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help me plan my cross country trip!

Hey Mid-West S2KI'ers

I'm planning a cross country trip over about a month this January. I know it's not exactly the best time of year for such a trip, but it's the only time of year my girlfriend and I can get the time off for it, and we've been wanting to do it for years so we're going for it!

Part of the trip is going to be roughly along this route from Washington DC to Seattle. I'm toying with the idea of taking the S with Blizzaks on it. Is that insane? I don't really know how decent the snow removal is in the more sparsely populated parts of the mid-west. Could anybody share their experiences up there? I do have an SUV I could take, so either way is ok. I'm not sure I would want to drive 6k+ miles in the S in weather like that, even if it was possible.

Also, any recommendations for what to do while I'm in your neck of the woods? I only have a rough plan at the moment, but I'll be stopping in Detroit and Minneapolis for sure, and definitely a few other places along the way. My real research will start tonight as soon as I'm done posting this.

Ooh, any fun new years happenings? We might be up there during Dec 31/Jan 1.

Here's an estimate of my route: Google Map

Thanks for any help

If you see a couple driving through Minneapolis on new years with the top down, wearing ski goggles, that'll be us.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I drove through two winters "successfully" with an ap1 on all-seasons, but I would definitely discourage this. Snow removal is certainly hit-or-miss here in the midwest. Major highways tend to be fine, but city streets and definitely more rural roads can be bad if your timing doesn't coincide well with the plows.

In other words, driving through a midwest winter on Blizzaks is certainly do-able, just be cautious and try to avoid any unplowed roads when possible.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

As much as I'd love to say take the S, I think it would be wise to take the SUV. You never know what you could encounter through MN, ND & MT during that time of year, I just don't think it's worth the risk.

We do tend to have some winter meets, I'm sure something could be arranged around your visit.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:03 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,909 Posts

I'd also suggest taking the route through SD instead of ND on I-90. A drive through the Badlands should definitely be top on the list.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Oct 8 2010, 10:00 AM
We do tend to have some winter meets, I'm sure something could be arranged around your visit.
Especially if it involves indoor carting?!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by K1ngfunK,Oct 8 2010, 02:43 AM
Well, I drove through two winters "successfully"
Does that just translate to "without crashing"?
Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Oct 8 2010, 10:00 AM
As much as I'd love to say take the S, I think it would be wise to take the SUV. You never know what you could encounter through MN, ND & MT during that time of year, I just don't think it's worth the risk.
Thanks. Probably will be the SUV. I just had to consider the S at least. It pains me a little to leave it at home.

That would be fun I'll you guys know what my actual schedule will be as I settle on it in the coming weeks.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by sw05s2k,Oct 8 2010, 10:03 AM
I'd also suggest taking the route through SD instead of ND on I-90. A drive through the Badlands should definitely be top on the list.

More tips like this
Old 10-08-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TopGear,Oct 8 2010, 02:04 PM
Does that just translate to "without crashing"?
Exactly... or having others crash into me!

I only got stuck once, and it was while trying to drift in an unplowed business park.

Call me biased, but I'd suggest a stop in Chicago, too.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by K1ngfunK,Oct 8 2010, 03:10 PM
Call me biased, but I'd suggest a stop in Chicago, too.
:doh:

I can't believe I forgot, but I have relatives in Chicago! I should definitely stop there.

Quick Reply: Help me plan my cross country trip!