Upper Mid-West S2000 Owners Members from the upper mid-west including Michigan, Illinios, Indiana, and Wisconsin

Moving to Chicago

Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Chicago

I'm here in Chicago for a job interview but haven't had a chance to explore however if all goes well I'll be calling it my home.

Anyone have any words of wisdom and advice in picking a location to live? I have no clue about winters. I'm a southern california native if that helps.

It seems like the salt on the roads destroy some of the cars I've seen in the parking lot. My daily beater will be a 2003 accord so hopefully the underside wont look like rust ate it after a couple years. Any tips on maintaining, preparing, driving in this climate? I've heard its a good idea to keep the gas tank full so it doesnt freeze. Do I need to change to winter tires in November or can I use all seasons all year long?

The homes I've passed while in Elgin and South Elgin have open yards or maybe they are shared yards. Is this normal? There are no fences but I'm thinking its more the neighborhood and the route I take.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

I've typically gotten away with all-season for the winters. Those days full snow/winter tires are absolutely needed to get around, I just stay home (or work from home).

Car washes are open through the winter and depending on how much you care about your winter beater, a wash every other week will suffice. There is typically an option at many car washes that will steam and wash the underside of your car.

Depending on the area you pick, a lot of subdivisions may not have fences. They aren't 'shared' yards...you still have a property line, but from a neighborly perspective, it looks nicer.

In Winter, if you're storing your car, it's good to keep your gas tank full so that you don't get accumulation of condensation. If the car sits long enough, water condensation can pool enough to create a problem (water in the tank).

I can offer words of wisdom of where to live....where do you plan to work (locaton)? You have a family? How much space do you need? Etc.?
Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The reason you keep the tank full is so that if you get caught in weather related traffic you don't run out. It doesn't get cold enough to freeze gasoline here.

All seasons on an Accord should be fine. It's front wheel drive with a decent TCS. If you find yourself struggling, then snow tires are a good idea, but are not really required.

The salt won't corrode the car as long as it's cold. If you park in a garage every night, that will accelerate the corrosion, but it's not an immediate thing. In the spring, run your car through a good touchless carwash and it should get all the salt off the bottom. If you are super paranoid about it, you can get undercoating for the car. Again, I don't think you need it, but it certainly wouldn't hurt.

Parts of Elgin are a little sketchy. Other parts of Elgin are nice, South Elgin is also fairly nice. However, deciding where you plan to live should revolve around where you plan to spent the bulk of your time. Where will you be working? I'd reccomend finding some place near your work. We can give you suggestions of neighborhoods that would be suitable given a ROUGH budget and a general area.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM

I live by elgin. Some parts are ghetto, some there are million dollar homes...it's wierd. If you have any questions about realestate you can pm me. You can get a hell of a deal on a house right now!

I dd my s2k and def reccomend winter tires. It's better to spend $500, then crash you s2k and pay more.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with what they all said. We should be able to give you better advice knowing the area where you'll be working, since then we can determine locations that are both good neighborhoods and will (hopefully) provide easy commutes.

Also, just FYI, the UMW S2k community is excellent, and Chicago is probably the largest grouping of UMW members.

BTW, thus-far I've had no problems driving my FWD Mini Cooper S through this winter on all-seasons.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:17 PM

I'll be working in Elgin. Bowes Rd and McLean is the closest intersection. I prefer to rent something very close to where I work while I get a feel for the area. If I can get something within 10 minutes walking distance that would be ideal. I tell myself that if I live that close then I wouldn't have to worry about getting to work on the bad days but I have no idea if it's good to be walking out in the weather everyday.

I wouldn't mind a commute once I do settle in since initially I would work a 7-3 or something close to that... maybe 8-4 but once I've been here a while my schedule will change and rotate. I.e. 2pm, 1pm, 8am, 5am, 10pm. I can avoid much of the traffic when that happens.

It's just the me and the wifey atm. We're pretty flexible on where we live as long as the neighborhood is a friendly one. More than likely she would work in the city. She has lots of experience in residential and commercial escrow so that's probably where the action is for that kind of thing.

I'm not a homeowner so when we do get a place we would be property virgins. We would be looking for a home somewhere in the 250-350 range. Something to start a family and nothing too big or fancy. Neighborhood and the quality of the build is on the top of the list.

The reason I ask about winter tires is I spun out going very slow in the s2k in our freak winter storm here in texas and it caught me by surprise how little control you have over ice especially with summer tires.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:22 PM

I forgot to add... I really have no clue about where I would want to live. Since I have no idea where she would end up working then I suppose I can see us living anywhere. When I lived in San Diego I had about a 30min to 1 hour commute. Here in West Texas it takes me 15 minutes and its constant since there is no traffic.

I told the wifey that if she got a job in the city and we lived close to public transportation that it might be easier for her to just do the train or bus thing. Again, I don't know, haven't done any research whatsoever but I've always perceived city's up north and on the east coast to have great public transportation.

Living by the lake seems like a nice spot although probably very expensive.

Edit: Driving the s2k in the winter... you guys are my hero. I don't have the required experience and skills to recover from the tail end sliding out.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:29 PM
S2KI Editor

there!

I just moved here from Los Angeles about 6 months ago, and despite my having grown up in Wisconsin, the weather has been a shocker to the system, lol! But i think i may finally be adjusting!

I drive a civic si and it's been a little squirly in the snow... but this may also just be me re-learning how to drive in the snow!

Welcome
Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 PM

oprah and sammy sosa (used to) lives by the lake.

that better be a seven figure job if you're looking to live by the lake

i'm on oem S-02s for this winter. snow covored roads only lasts hours (overnight) after the snowfall stops before the plows get to it.
even though you can get by with all season tires, dedicated winter tires for the winter months makes life waaayyyy easier.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

With RE050's Micheal Schumacher wouldn't have the skill to recover in the winter. Those tires turn to CRAP below about 40deg or so. Don't beat yourself up over it, or be scared to drive. With the S, it's ALL about the tires.

For the accord, you'll be fine.

South Elgin is pretty nice. It's hard to walk in the winter because the sidewalks are not always clear. So expect to be driving.

There are plenty of title companies in the burbs, but it is MUCH easier to commute from the 'burbs to the city than live in the city and commute to the suburbs. There isn't much public transit in the suburbs to get around once you get off the train.

I used to commute by train daily (I live about 10mins from South Elgin.) The Metra trains run pretty well in terms of on time. A monthly ticket runs about $150 or so from Elgin. ( http://www.metrarail.com )

Lakefront property dowtown Chicago is pretty expensive. Actually most of the coastline is public land, so the few buildings that are VERY close to the water are VERY expensive.

Quick Reply: Moving to Chicago