Utah S2000 Owners S2000 Owners from Utah
View Poll Results: Need UTAH folks' opinion on OEM rims
NOOOOO, too "Bling Bling"!
71.43%
Sure, they'll help you blind the course workers from seeing you go off-course!
0%
Maybe - as long as they NEVER see street use
28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Need UTAH folks' opinion on OEM rims

Old 06-30-2003, 01:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by S2K1
The Comptech System is nice, but if you don't want to wait and want a front-mount intercooler unlike Comptech's inline aftercooler, Buy the current Comptech system and add a front-mount intercooler to it. Modern Garage could definately do the work for you. I'd rather go turbo, but it's mainly because of more power potential and that great BOV sound that Matt now gets to enjoy. Plus, look at Wesmaster, he originally had the Comptech S/C and has sold that to go turbo. I think all turbo kits will have 'bugs' in them and Ultimate Racing has it's fair share, but I think it has the least. The Vortech S/C was a nightmare for some people. I think cjb80's kit will be nice if you want a lot of power, but you have to have a deep wallet to do any of these.
you gotta go turbo...they are just so much more fun. If you wouldn't mind though I'd like to make a few suggestions. First off make sure you have whoever does your turbo fabricate a new heat shield to protect the battery and fuse relays on the passenger side...trust me. Second...do not fool around with your boost and ignition timing when you have no idea what it will do Also, sweat the details...make sure your cooling system is up to the task along with the rest of your powertrain....all in all expect to spend about $9k-15k to do it right (don't do it if your not gonna do it right...go s/c'd)....I know
Old 06-30-2003, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Option we chose to go with is the 4.77 final gear set. Turbo kit cost of $5,500 or so is not bad, but as Matt rightfully points out there are a lot of other associated costs that need to be factored in.

The 4.77 final gear gives us the added acceleration we want for auto-x ... without the $9 to $15k for turbo.

The final gear and Comptech reinforced differential are being installed by Modern Garage this week. I guess you can all take a ride at the next group get together.

-MSM
Old 06-30-2003, 12:45 PM

I originally wanted to go with just the 4.77 gears, but want to go turbo AND 4.44 or 4.77 gears. The turbo will come first. Other costs on a turbo car should include a reinforced differential, exhaust, clutch, etc. It really does add up.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:53 PM

MSM -

Wow, I soo want to ride in / drive your car! A 4.77 should launch like a ROCKET coupled with your awesome clutch... Hope to see you guys at the auto-x on the 6th!

Jaime
Old 06-30-2003, 02:40 PM

Jaime,

We won't be at the event on the 6th as the car will still be in the garage. The Comptech reinforced differential involves a core exchange that will take at least a week or so.

Hopefully they'll also be able to get the Stoptech brake kit in and installed while the car is there. I was planning on getting a single titanium exhaust to drop 35+ lbs off the car, but sadly we're already at the 91dB limit with the stock exhaust.

Hopefully we'll see you at the 14 and 15-Jul events. You missed out on some excellent courses ... Sat and Sun courses were both very fast with a good mix of wide open speed and tight twisties.

-MSM
Old 07-01-2003, 09:53 PM

Figures we'd miss a weekend where the courses were FAST! Oh well, hopefully the Newgate Mall course will be as fast and have plenty of twisties! You and Jake are welcome to drive / ride in our SLOOOWWW BS Class UGLY YELLOW car if you'd like You can even wear my helmet so no one recognizes you - ha ha

Sure would be nice to see some of our local S2K owners show up to watch Lib and I eat cones with ESter and do a few spinouts If anyone is interested, the event starts about 10am and lasts until 4 or 5 pm. (As stated above - 06 Jul) Hope to see some of you there!

MSM - We'll likely make the Saturday Series on the 12th. Looks like with all your mods, even if we DID bump up to ASP (x-brace, CAI, etc), we'd NEVER stand a chance of catching you! Sounds like you're both set to give the ASP folks a run for their money! Don't forget the ol' "90% driver, 10% car" rule JK! I'm still in the 90% car 10% driver category - hard to learn that slower is faster. Fun factor too low

Jaime
Old 07-02-2003, 09:08 AM

Mike-
I dropped my car off at Modern Garage today to get my stainless steel brake lines installed and they said your car was coming in today and they were doing all that you mentioned and getting custom Koni shocks. Is this true? Wow, sounds like you are getting a lot done to it. You and Sean both are doing a lot of work to your cars. I need to catch up, J/K!

Everyone-When can we get a group drive going again? I think Sean's car is out of comission for a couple of months and Mike's for a couple of weeks, so when can people go? I'll be in Cancun from July 10th through the 15th, but other than that, I'll be there.
Old 07-02-2003, 02:52 PM

Yep, we dropped the car of yesterday afternoon. On the menu for this visit:
- 4.77 final gear
- Comptech reinforced differential
- Stoptech brake kit
- Mugen thermostat & fan switch
- Clear diffuser headlamps

As soon as they come in (60 to 90 days) the custom valved Koni's! I'm also going to go with an alternative to the greddy emanage as soon as the S2K harness is available (30 days?). I'd like to do header and exhaust, but I'm afraid that may put me over the 91db limit for auto-x.]

I think one of the best things I've had done is the 4 wheel alignment to the specs that Christian recommended. Less than $100 and made a huge difference in handling.

Our car will be finished next week in time for the 14 & 15-July auto-x ... then off to the Pro Solo on the 18-20th!

-MSM
Old 07-02-2003, 03:06 PM

Wow, nice work Mike! I have the DC Sports Header and it didn't make any sound difference, but knowing you, you'd probably go with a TODA/Mugen/Spoon Header that will probably make a difference in sound.
Do you know what wheels you are going to run on your Stoptech brakes? Or are you just going to run a spacer on the wheels you have now?
Old 07-02-2003, 03:47 PM

He has Volk's now

Quick Reply: Need UTAH folks' opinion on OEM rims