Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

** Vancouver Island Poker Run 2011 **

Old 08-06-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

---Well only 15 days till the Poker Run. Some of you will probably be happy to have it all over with and are tired of hearing about it. Believe me as the sole organizer of this event, I can't wait for it to be over either.--

Dave,

You sound a bit worn out--this is a lot of work for you!

I would say that there are few if any that do not appreciate what you are doing. Probably most are not in a position to help, and maybe those that don't want to have no idea what it takes to set up and manage an undertaking like you have taken on. Others simply don't have time.

I for one (and I'm sure I'm not alone) am looking forward to a fun day and taking advantage of all your hard work.

Thanks for setting this up!
Dave
Old 08-06-2011, 11:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dave..., it isn't that I don't enjoy doing it as I do. It is a lot of work and next year for sure If I undertake it again I will try and round up some assistance. It is just tough rounding up sponsors and getting people to attend to make it all worth it. It has its highs and it has its lows. I just feel like such a pain nagging everyone. I start working on this in February and it doesn't stop till the day of the event.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy it and the reward at the end makes it all worth while. I guess my wording there was a bit strong..., I didn't mean to come across like I don't enjoy it. It just is a lot of work and time to put the thing on. Sponsors have been great! While I have had the occassional posting that is negative it is mostly around me posting up information constantly but really the forums are all I am using for advertising..., this year we got picked up by importmeet.com and they gave me free advertising and Saunders posted my event on their big sign outside the store and some sponsors actually put it in the media, all appreciated.

Anyway sorry for coming off negative..., I look forward to it. I just hope that everyone that attends has a good time and that we can raise a reasonable amount for Camp Shawnigan.

Dave
Old 08-07-2011, 06:50 AM

So Dave asked us to drive the 1 st 1/2 of the route to the mountain for this year. Dave has added a few road changes from last year and i have to say it makes it a great drive. Was thinking of our slammed members and it is clear driving for them for sure. The new water drives and secluded and twisted back roads are a treat. I am sure this kind of a drive route would be hard to find on the mainland. This drive alone won't dissapoint let alone everything else Dave has arranged. Remember we all bought the cars to drive. John
Old 08-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Hey John, thanks for that and for checking the route out for me. I am emailing the entire set of maps to you today for you to have a look at. The remainder of the route is fairly straight forward and I will lead from Tigh-Na-Mara onward. Thanks for volunteering to be the lead for the first half.

Two weeks left. I'm getting nervous about some of the non-payments. Come on people help me make this event the success it was last year only better! I need your help to do it. If there is any way you can attend this event please make an effort. You won't be disappointed that is for sure. We have great prizes this year, even better than last.

If you want to come and are just tight for money, let me know, I'm sure we can work something out (shared accomodations, come for the dinner, I have to pay for 60 dinners anyway so if were short participants, there is a free dinner for you)...,

See you all on the 20th!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM

OK well ONE WEEK LEFT till the 2011 Poker Run.

Paricipation has dropped off as it did last year, which is a bit disappointing, but based on the fact that this event has only been advertised on the local forums I am still pleased with the turnout as it is better than last year, and last year we not only had a blast but managed to raise enough to send two disabled kids to summer camp. That is what it is all about.

Registration officially ends today!
However if you missed it and really want to attend, I can still sign up a few people. I got an extension to have the numbers into the caterers till Monday so I can accept registrations up until then. I can probably sign people up until the day of the event but not in huge numbers, but please if you missed registration and can still make this event PM me or email me and I will do my best to get you on the list.

If you want to come up and join us at Mt Washington you have two options:
1) You can pay $50.00 which would entitle you to a dinner as well, and that includes a $20.00 donation to Camp Shawnigan.
2) You can pop up to the Mountain with us and offer up a donation.

Either way we would be happy to have you. If you want to donate just ask for me (Dave Donovan), or my brother (Al) or my wife (Ellen). We will gladly accept your donation.

See the list of participants below. If your name is on the list in BLACK, that means you expressed interest in attending but I have been unable to contact you to confirm your attendance. If anyone can get into contact with these people please do and forward them onto me. If your name is in light green, then you have confirmed that you are attending but just have not paid as of yet (Please contact me to arrange for payment as there is only ONE week left), and if your name is in dark green, well your all paid up and ready to go.

I will be handing out participation envelopes which will contain some freebies and your maps and you car number. I will have these at the Friday night meet (19th), as well I will have them Saturday morning. Come see me.

Please arrive at the Starting Point no later than 9:30 to check in. You can then head just up the street for gas (Chevron about 3 minutes away), then come back for the start.

Big thanks to those that have committed to this event..., I appreciate you time and your generosity. I look forward to seeing you all again and the new faces.

Participation List

1) DDonovan (Dave/Ellen) - S2Ki(VI) - PAID
2) pinetreeballer (Chris) - S2Ki(Van) CONFIRMED
3) MIs2000 (Mike) - S2Ki(VI) - PAID (+ 1 not paid)
4) notbadd (Mark/Judy) - S2Ki(Van) - PAID
5) MID ISLE S2K (John/Donna) - S2Ki(VI) - PAID
6) EhdrianEh (Adrian) - S2Ki(VI) - CONFIRMED
7) braindoc (Dave/Barbara) - S2Ki(VI) - PAID
8) sringrose (Scott/Sandy) - S2Ki(Vi) - PAID
9) ssthrd (Dave/+1) - S2Ki(VI) - PAID
10) Paris (Paris/+1) - NSXPrime(Vic) - PAID
11) MickeyS2000 (Mo) - S2Ki(Van) - PAID
12) JD Cross (Leslie/Jim) - NSXPrime - PAID(VI)
13) Manic! (???) - RS(VI)
14) kblackman (Kevin) - NASIOC-WRX/STi(VI)
15) Fortune_Seven (Shaun/Brie) - RX7Club(VI) - LMin
16) darksidegtr (Mike) GTRC(VI)
17) Kerric (Keith) - S2Ki(Edm) - PAID
18) topdown2000 (Mike/+1) - S2Ki(VI) - CONFIRMED
19) Carlos Fernandes (Carlos/+1) - bc240(Van) - CONFIRMED
20) Artem G (Art/+1) - bc240(Van)
21) Mr. Jack Walker (Jack/+1) - bc240(VI) - CONFIRMED
22) GreviusJones (Howard/Sally) - S2Ki(VI)
23) Robert Orr (Robert) - VIDE(Vic) - PAID
24) FricFrac (Kurk) - VIDE(Vic) - 370 - PAID
25) mxwizard (Tim/Cathie) - NIClub(Vic) - G35 - PAID
26) Canadian-Ix - (Rob/Rodger) - evolutionm(Van)
27) jostang - (Joe/Jill) - VancouverPrelude(VI) - '95 Prelude
28) Zoomie - (Chris/Kacey) - EvoX(VI) - PAID
29) tukatz - (Tom/Mel) - S2KClubUSA(Tacoma) - '07 LGP - PAID
30) Kassroth - (Colin) - Zilvia.net(ALB) - PAID
31) Dan VanDoormaal - (Dan/+1) - 2010 Genesis Coupe - Email - PAID
32) ITNKICN - (Ian/Robin) - G35Driver - PAID
33) Nightzone - (Lionel) S2Ki(Vic) - driving Patrices S2K - PAID
34) Murray Perret - (Murray/Steven) - S2Ki (Van/Vic) - CONFIRMED
35) S2KSean (Sean/+1) - S2Ki(Vic) - CONFIRMED
36) Chris Kettleson (Chris) - EM(Friend of JD Cross - NSXPrime) - PAID
37) Alasdair Ring (Alasdair/Darryl) 2010 Genesis Coupe - CONFIRMED

Cars: 37
People: 62
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM

Anyone catching first ferry from Tsawassan? Let me know.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 AM

For those of you that can't find the original map to the Starting Point (which is also where the mini-meet will be on the Friday night (7:30pm)...,

4000 Seymour Place, Victoria, BC

See you all this weekend, and Thanks to Everyone that has taken the time to attend this event!

Dave
Old 08-16-2011, 02:08 PM

Raffle Items List

1) Gift Certificate for F1 race training in Calgary by Allen Berg F1 Race School.
2) One MoMo Italian leather shift knob.
3) One bottle of Flash Detailer spray (30.00 value).
4) Two sets of HID replacement bulbs for any vehicle.
5) Two $50.00 gift certificates from SHC Automotive.
6) Three 50% off gift certificates from Dynamic Concepts, maker of the LED WindRestrictor screens.
7) One gift certificate for full auto detail at Discovery Honda.
8) One 41 piece emergency auto safety kit.
9) Six Tom Tom GPS units.
10) Gift Certificate from Tigh-Na-Mara resort and spa for accommodations and grotto spa ($300.00 value).
11) Gift Certificate from Arrowsmith Golf and Country Club for free round of golf including carts for four plus ($300.00 value).
12) Two full size roadside emergency kits.
13) One wooden garden hanging lamp.
14) Two $50.00 gift cards from Crème de la Crumb.
15) Two pairs of ski passes for Mt Washington resort.
16) Two pairs of tubing passes for Mt Washington.
17) Three $100.00 gift certificates from A&J Racing in Richmond.
18) Five trips for hotel only for one week in resorts in Mexico, Central America, South America, Canada, USA, and Caribbean
19) One full auto service including fluids from 5252 Motorsports in Victoria.
20) One $100 and two $50.00 gift certificates from Modifry in South Carolina, makers of support items for the S2000 (wire harness to make your audio buttons work with a aftermarket head unit, and many more).
21) Free racing certificates from TBC Kart Racing in Richmond.

Some of the checkpoints also are providing some participation freebie stuff as well..., I will leave that as a surprise!
PLUS ==> CASH prizes for top 3 Poker Hands.

It's not too late to sign up!

The rally will take about 5.5 hours to complete and at the end we have a wonderful banquet dinner at Mt Washington Resort!

PM me for details, you have till Friday night (9:00pm) to late register
Old 08-18-2011, 09:28 PM

Friday August 19
Time: 7:30pm
What: Optional meet, drive, dinner (TBD)
Where: 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria

Saturday August 20
Time: 9:00 - 9:30
What: Gather to get instructions/check in
Where: 4000 Seymour Place, Victoria

Time: 10:00 - 10:15
What: Start Poker Run

Time: 10:15 - 5:30ish
What: Poker Run to Mt Washington / Room Check in

Time: 5:30 - 6:30
What: Socialize in lot with cars

Time: 6:30
What: Doors open for participants

Time: 7:30
What: Banquet Dinner

Time: 8:00
What: Raffle, Poker Run Prizes

Time: 9:00 - 11:00
What: Socializing, bar available as long as enough people hang around.

**If you heading back Saturday night to the mainland, Nanaimo
Ferry departs Nanaimo for Horseshoe Bay

Sunday August 21
Time: 11:00
What: Gather to head back

Time: 11:30
What: Leave Mtn

Time: 1:00
What: Lunch at Arrowsmith Golf and Country Club

Time:
2:30
What:
Leave for Victoria
Old 08-21-2011, 10:33 AM

Dave,

Juanita and I thank you for setting this up and pulling it off again this year with great success. We had a great time meeting new people and having tons of fun while sharing a common interest in cool cars. Thanks also to all those who lent you a hand.
Hopefully a couple of kids will be next in line to thank you.

We look forward to next year.

Dave and Juanita

Oh, and third in the Poker Run was OK too!

Quick Reply: ** Vancouver Island Poker Run 2011 **