Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Bad timing to buy S2K

Old 06-19-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the first car I have called 'sexy' to look at. Glad I bought mine when I did ( dead of winter ). Btw, don't buy a car from Florida. Do your research (Google).
Old 06-20-2015, 01:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lot of ppls are in search for a clean s2 right now.

Super lucky to grab one a month ago and it was Def more than the prices listed above. Good luck OP.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

^I think I spotted your car on Thursday evening, parked near Richmond Sushi! You're Kevin's friend from G5, right?
Old 06-20-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I'm also selling my Rsx Type S on Revscene
Old 06-20-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chimp73
And what do u guys think about getting one imported from the states. Was thinking of going the route of finding someone like a broker or something like that. I see lots of s2ks from Florida on classified sites and tons on Ebay
I'd stay away from Florida cars. It's so humid there that cars just start rotting from everywhere. People don't think of rust being a problem in a warm climate like that, but it's a real issue. Granted, an accident-free s2k from there isn't likely to be rusty yet, but it's a risk.

The other huge danger of Florida cars is unreported flood damage. Or unreported accident damage generally that's been cheaply fixed.

Buying a US s2k isn't a bad idea at all. My own car is from Texas. But if you decide to get an s2k from the States, why not make it a road trip? You can see the car personally--who know how careful a broker is going to be?
Old 06-21-2015, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Chimp73
And what do u guys think about getting one imported from the states. Was thinking of going the route of finding someone like a broker or something like that. I see lots of s2ks from Florida on classified sites and tons on Ebay
Importing from the States was an excellent option a few yrs back, when the exchange rate was at par... now with the shitty exchange rate, it's only worth it if you find a screaming deal... Keep in mind 15k USD is close to 20k CAD after exchange and duties.. and you also have storage/transportation/shipping, inspection, and other taxes/charges on top..

I thought of importing one last year when I was looking for one, and in the neighbouring states, the prices have risen quite a bit. After factoring all the costs, it was much cheaper to purchase one here (and this was with the stronger dollar)
Old 06-22-2015, 08:05 PM

Thnx for ur great info guys! Yeah I never thought about potential bad conditions of cars from down south. It was just one of the options I was thinking about, not really even near the top of the list of considerations. Of course I really want a clean low mileage local car, then if I can't find one, then I'ma look in Alberta(easy cheap and quick plane ride or bus ride), then I'll look at the rest of the country. I really sure hope it won't take me too long, wanna really enjoy having a convertible to enjoy the rest of the summer. And also considering I don't have a vehicle right now, I'll be wanting to find one as soon as I can. Hmmm, I was also gonna get a cheap daily driver for the winter months anyway because I don't plan to drive the s2k all year round, wanna keep it the best condition I can and keep it for a LONG time. Bah, don't wanna think about that yet. Cheers guys, thnx for ur great opinions, it's really helpful!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:57 AM

Everybody's price point is different but as a simple test of choice theory.......say you already own a clean S2000 with low kms, all stock, hence a very desirable car, knowing it's going to be a classic, knowing there isn't much to choose from.

Then the question to you would be if you were going to sell this vehicle, would you sell it at $10-15k?

Theory of supply and demand always prevail.

I missed my boat for NSX
Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by bb4srv
...... if you were going to sell this vehicle, would you sell it at $10-15k?
Theory of supply and demand always prevail.
And slowly but surely those high prices at the Abbotsford dealer are starting to look not quite so bad. Unless they go up too.
2008-2009 low mileage clean cars are fetching $30K in Canada these days. Last year I'd have thought it impossible.

And to think I passed on a 2009 black very-low-milege garage queen in New Brunswick because I thought $25K was much too high.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 1,203 Likes on 933 Posts

It doesnt help that a huge part of the market interested in this car are older folks (and by that I mean not 20 years old) who more likely can afford to dump a bigger downpayment down. This means they can pay more than blue book (what the bank loans you) and thus pay more than the car is "worth" according to the blue book. So there is less holding the price down. Then add in how many of them have been wrecked or severely molested into hella flush lowriders with big body kits and they become a tad more rare in mint condition.

I just read ... cant remember where... and article recently that mentioned it as a car that will start going back up in price again.

Kind of like the Lotus Elise:

Lotus Elise comes out
A bunch of richer older guys snatch them up to drive around as their trophy cars to work
Bunch of richer older guys realize that they ride rough, are hard to get in and out of and have few amenities and their wives wont ride around with them in it (aka its an actual sports car)
Bunch of richer older guys sell them off used, flooding the used market with them
Price on used ones drops considerably (I have seen local ones sell for under $20k, with most in the mid $20k range)
All the enthusiasts and track\autox people start buying them up
Price starts climbing again. Soon those used ones will be more expensive than they have been in a long while.

Add in that the S2000 has not been made for 7 years.

Quick Reply: Bad timing to buy S2K