Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Canucks!

Old 04-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda agree with Eclipz there. I don't think the twins are the great top lines but far from and average second liner. What I mean is they are no where in the same level as say Sakic Forsberg Heduk Statsny, or a line of St. Louis Lecavier Richards.

In 2005, the twins break out year, they were the second line with a very good line mate in Anson Cater. Carter was not worth the 3 mil that he wanted because he got the points he got that season because he was playing with the twins. They complimented each other well. The West Coast Express line was the top line and drew the attention of all the other teams #1 checking line. This year, lots of teams were matching lines against the Canucks and you could see how they kept the twins off of the score board with their #1 checking line. The Canucks did the same thing with their Kesler Borrows (insert name here) line.

The style the twins play will not make something out of nothing. Look at Gabarek. He is a prime example of a top tier player who can make something out of nothing, just like Thornton Sakic Crosby Malkin Olvechan etc... The twins will cycle the puck and for the opposing team to make a mistake which will free one of them, and of course their slap pass. In the begining, their slap pass play caught a lot of people off guard, but 2 years later people have adjusted to their slap pass play and can better defend against it.

I personally don't think Pyatt has any right to be in the top 2 lines. He has a big body but does not know how to use it to his advantage. He is an average skater with an average shot. Look at the hit he took in the game against the Avs. He had his head down as he was skating with the puck down ice.

On the offence side, they have a really good third line in Kesler and Burrows. With time, they could have a pretty good second line with Mason Shannon and another player. Linden plays that 4th line (energy line) well.
I see the Canucks need to find a top line player that can play with the Twins who is a big and tough player. He needs to be able to create some open ice for the Sedins to do their thing. They need to give Mason and Shannon some time to play in the NHL and find a player who can play that fast finesse game as they do. They need a big tough guy who will like and hit like Rip Rippen. On D, they need to get rid of one of the top 4 D man, to give Edler more playing time develope as a d man, and to give Bourdon a chance to get use to the NHL. He is the 10th overall pick but has played very little games.
And they need to get Corey Schnider up into the NHL and play some more NHL games cause you know if Luongo leaves in 2 years, we need to be ready with a #1 goalie, or a valuable asset to trade if Luongo signs another long term contract with us.

In the coaching department, they need to work on the shoot outs. Some of the younger guys have the right idea, but needs some fine tuning. I know I only play rec hockey, but I am pretty sucessful in my all break-aways. Penalty kills need a bit more fine tuning. A lot of the goals the Avs scored on the Nucks this year have been goals where they out worked the Nucks in the dirty area around the crease and all the defending Nucks can do is stand and watch. Their powerplay is horrible. They have the one point man who stands in the center by the blue line. They never deviate from that play. You rarely see any back door plays where the point man sneaks in from the point.
Another issue I have with their play is the break out. They make far too many passes and the breakout is very slow. I remember back in the day when they had Ed Jovanaski who would break out with speed to start a play or that end to end thread the needle pass to free Bertuzzi on a break away.

This dump and chase style is boring and does not work if the opposing team has big strong defence men who can skate and will play the body. People like Foote, Nedimeyer will hurt opposing players.

It's a long off-season and hopefully some good will come of it.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Eclypz,Apr 4 2008, 06:03 PM] it's an opinion, dude....take it for what it's worth.
You have your opinion and I have mine.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=Angelus1243,Apr 4 2008, 05:29 PM] Yea I heard they won't resign Hossa either, but I doubt he'd come here.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:11 PM

Awesome link Ron, thanks.

For those that wanted to know, here is Vancouver's numbers.
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=VAN

Guys on the Nucks with no trade clauses is Luongo, Salo, Ohlund, Mitchell and I an not sure who the 5th one is.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonMexico, Apr 4 2008, 08:41 PM
Crosby is on the last year of his rookie contract, but signed for 9mil after that. Malkin and Stall are free agents after next year. With Malkin more than proving his worth this year, he will get close to Crosby/Ovechkin money. Stall won't get as much, but is still probably looking at 5-6 million with how much potential he has, and the 29 goals last year.
Unless Staal has a HELL of a year next year, I don't think he'll get $5-6mil. That's the kind of money reserved for consistent Heatley/Spezza/Datsyuk/Zetterberg numbers and he has yet to prove he can even do that. I'm thinkin $2-3mil. for a short contract to see how far he can develop, especially with Malkin getting a HUGE raise at the same time.

Thanks for the great site too!