Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Cold Start Problem

Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you need to remove back up fuse..

I don't think it was 7.5A one but I could be wrong.

refer to under hood fuse box.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:05 AM

Yeah there were two 7.5A, and one of them is the backup fuse. Did you put the fuse back or you completely removed it?

Thanks
Old 06-15-2010, 06:30 PM

hey "Ohkun", I am still experiencing the start up problem. When you were unplugging your backup fuse, was it located under the hood or did you find it underneath the steering wheel?

I only found the backup fuse labelled 7.5A underneath the steering wheel area.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 PM

I have had ths same problems before. If you drive your car more often then it will wont have the same problem again. Thats what i found in my experience
Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM

changed to 91 Octane Chevron, problem is gone
Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 PM

I emailed Chevron to find out if any problems with 94 octane etc.. since everyone has had issues lately. This is the letter I recieved back.

The main aspect of winter/summer gasoline has to do with the ambient temperature of an area. Summer gasoline is given a lower volatility to avoid vapor lock and minimize evaporative losses.

Winter gasoline (both conventional and oxygenated) is given a higher volatility to facilitate starting and warm-up.

Chevron makes a higher vapor pressure gasoline available from November through March. During March, Chevron starts moving lower-vapor-pressure gasoline into our distribution system to insure

that all the fuel at our terminals will meet the lower limit on April 1.

The main differences in Chevron summer and winter gasoline is the vapor pressure and not the presence or absence of an oxygenate such as ethanol.

The vapor pressure is higher in the winter blend to enable easier starting in cooler temperatures. Our competitors follow the same set of specifications for vapor pressure.

These measures require some changes in the refining of gasoline which may vary over time and from refiner to refiner. However, these seasonal changes, still are required in order to minimize

pollution and the outcome is still the same change of vapor pressure to the required level.

The volatility of gasoline is tailored for the range of temperatures expected in the locality where it is solid.

As of January 1, 2010, BC's Reformulated Fuel Standard (RFS) requires that an average of 5% renewable fuel content be blended into all gasolines.

To meet this mandate, Chevron Canada is now blending ethanol into our Chevron Regular, Chevron Regular Plus and Chevron Supreme gasolines. The refining and blending of gasoline is a complex scientific process. As part of the conversion process to begin blending ethanol into our gasolines, it is necessary to adjust our Chevron Supreme gasoline to a 91 octane rating.

Chevron's Supreme gasoline now has a consistent octane rating in both Canada and the United States. The octane rating for Chevron Regular, Regular Plus and Supreme Plus gasolines remains unchanged.

We regret that the 92 octane fuel that you prefer is no longer available. For most vehicles, the difference in vehicle performance between a 91 octane fuel versus a 92 octane fuel should be negligible. We suggest that you consult your vehicle's manual to determine the best octane rating for your vehicle's optimal performance.

If you still require a higher octane rating but would prefer not to fill your vehicle's tank with Chevron Supreme Plus, another option would be to partially fill your vehicle's tank with Chevron Supreme and then "top up" your tank with Chevron Supreme Plus. This blend should raise the octane rating of the fuel in your tank slightly.

Again, we regret that we are no longer able to provide a 92 octane fuel and hope to continue serving you in the future. In addition to the pride our retailers and their staff take in the clean, friendly service they provide, all quality Chevron gasolines continue to contain the unsurpassed cleaning power of Techron.

However,

Regarding Supreme Plus (94 octane), it does not contain ethanol nor do we have any plans in the future to add ethanol to the product. Supreme Plus remains a core product in our suite of fuels and we plan to continue to offer it at our BC facilities
Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 PM

so would it be better to fuel up with Chevron 94 OR Chevron 91 octane for a non-tuned S2k?
Old 06-22-2010, 08:59 PM

Filled up 94 at Husky two days ago and the problem seems to be gone.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks notbadd for the information. My theory is finally confirmed, sweet!
Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 PM

I was having problems cold starting with Chevron 94 as well. Switching back to 91 fixed the issue. Thanks guys! Huge help!

Quick Reply: Cold Start Problem