Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Cracked Valve Retainers :(

Old 03-16-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Valve Retainers :(

So I was bored the other day and decided that I should take the valve cover off and have a look around. Sure enough I discovered 3 cracked retainers . I'm curious to know how long they have been that way...I guess I'll never know.

I called three or four different honda dealerships to get prices and delivery time on a new set of cotters and retainers. They all told me the same thing, 45-60 days I tried placing an order through Majestic Honda but the no longer ship out of the U.S.

So what I am wondering is if anybody can recommend an online source (that will ship to Canada) or maybe a source just south of the boarder that would be a little quicker. Or maybe even some aftermarket options that are more available, even if it does cost a bit more. Spring is coming quickly.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:04 PM

Call discovery honda in Duncan bc., I just had mine done 3 cracked also by the way. But we ordered enought to do intake and exhaust. Now you only need to replace intake so they took the other half back and credited my account. They may still have the parts there enough to do all your intake retainers, this work was just done March 2nd. John
Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 PM

Your lucky you looked really!!
here you go

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/product.ph...7&cat=53&page=1
Old 03-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure to upgrade to the AP2 retainers.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

another option is aftermarket ti valve retainers, much easier to get a hold of.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by XtC-604,Mar 16 2010, 11:35 PM
another option is aftermarket ti valve retainers, much easier to get a hold of.
not really designed to be reliable. not much point for a stock motor
Old 03-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

From what I've read, I'd go with stock AP2 as well. If you want to order from the US, you could always get stuff sent to Pt. Roberts or Blaine. Read the sticky on tires: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=624014
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the responces guys. I will definatly be replacing with AP2 retainers and cotters I think I have read every post, and thread on the retainer situation (Billman is a god send).

I just called Honda in duncan and the parts guy told me they sent the retainers back to honda yesterday as part of hondas obsolesence program?? And also that he didn't have any cotters. The retainers should be avalible to dealers over here in a couple of days.

I might try the online route, but I'll make sure that they have stock or easy access to stock so I'm not waiting until june for them.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:04 AM

If you dont mind me asking Mr. MID ISLE S2K, what was your final bill for that job?
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM

If and when you do get the parts, get the complete kit and replace all of the retainers and keepers for the intake and exhaust valves.

The cost of the kit is way cheaper then to buy the parts individually. And there is no point to replace a few retainers and then have to take the head off to replace more if they go in the future.

Lastly, get the valves checked as well. If the retainers were cracked, that might be enough movement that the valves will make contact with the top of the piston and bend the valves.

Quick Reply: Cracked Valve Retainers :(