Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Needs to replace my S2K's soft top :(

Old 04-24-2010, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ICBC should pay for 100% of the cost of a new top, less your deductible, regardless of the age of the vehicle.

Consumeable item? Never heard of such a thing.

It's call INSURANCE for a reason.

You'll probably find out the Dealer will order the parts from Honda, then sub out the labour to an upholstry shop. That's what happened with my seats. Ask about this when you go in.

Good luck, and dont sweat it too much. It will all work out.

Mike
Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM
.F1

Originally Posted by VIS2K,Apr 24 2010, 09:56 AM
ICBC should pay for 100% of the cost of a new top, less your deductible, regardless of the age of the vehicle.

Consumeable item? Never heard of such a thing.

It's call INSURANCE for a reason.

You'll probably find out the Dealer will order the parts from Honda, then sub out the labour to an upholstry shop. That's what happened with my seats. Ask about this when you go in.

Good luck, and dont sweat it too much. It will all work out.

Mike
on certain jobs like tires, tops, paint jobs, batteries, car audio, anything like that, ICBC (and pretty much every other insurance company in the world) will deduct an amount for depreciation, based on the age of the item.

the only thing you can do is challenge the amount of depreciation they take off. you can't avoid it completely, unless you can prove your item was basically brand new.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM
.F1

Originally Posted by jsk819,Apr 23 2010, 11:13 PM
Thank you all I have an appoinment with ICBC Next Wednesday. Hope no rain!!! Pray for me guys. Dang.
one thing to keep in mind: sometimes they will try and take the depreciation off the grand total of the job (parts and labour). that's wrong! always make sure the depreciation is deducted from the amount for parts only, not the labour.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man, sorry to hear about your top. Like Al said, I got mine replaced at Kingsway Honda thru warranty last year after a tear showed up in the usual spot. Try to get ICBC to pay for the whole thing even tho the top is a consumable. If Honda is willing to pay to replace a top after 3 years on the road, ICBC better be willing to cover the cost of an OEM top replaced by a good dealership. It takes a few days if I remember correctly, so be prepared to get another car too.

FYI... your car will smell like glue for a few days after you get your car back. It smells HORRIBLE.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Sum

Originally Posted by .F1,Apr 24 2010, 11:08 AM
on certain jobs like tires, tops, paint jobs, batteries, car audio, anything like that, ICBC (and pretty much every other insurance company in the world) will deduct an amount for depreciation, based on the age of the item.

the only thing you can do is challenge the amount of depreciation they take off. you can't avoid it completely, unless you can prove your item was basically brand new.
ya ..that is why they would only pay 50% for my soft top if it's slashed
Old 04-24-2010, 05:55 PM

Sorry to hear about your top bro, but the same thing happend to me a few years ago. My top was cut and needed replacement. ICBC took off depreciation despite the fact that the adjuster said my top was in great shape despite the age of my vehicle. It's BS, they won't use OEM products for replacement, so I was forced to go with the Robbins top. My opinion on the top is not good, the first time I took it into the shop and had it installed, I took it back and the shop had to have the rep from Robbins come in and see the result. He agreed with me the top was defective. The replacement top was a little better, but nothing like the OEM. The shop I took it to was Pacific Auto Trim, they do good work. My advice to you is with the money ICBC gives you, buy a top from hardtopguy, have it shipped to Canada or you can pick up at Pt Roberts, and have it installed here. You may have to pay in advance and get reimbursed, but you will be happy with the OEM product.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 PM

So let's do some math here...
Say the job to replace a soft top labor included is 1800.
Suppose worst case scenario ICBC only pays for half and your deductible is $300.
That means I can park my car at Guildford mall overnight with $500 dollars worth of $20 dollar bills inside the car; a knife on top of my car and still come out on top.

DIY bait car!