Vancouver Island Vancouver Island S2000 Enthusiasts

Maintenance

Old 12-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maintenance

Hi guys, so i bought my car and it has 40k on it. Did my oil change regularly, and replace my diff fluid. But the question is that i have been doing all my oil change but never did any maintenance except my diff fluid since i got it. So now the car has 62k and im not too sure where to start?
The things i had on mind is change my,
Flush clutch fluid, flush brake fluid, flush coolant, and transmission fluid change as my shifter is grinding so much. They told me my clutch is giving up but i wanna try replacing my tranission fluid and flush the clutch first and see what happen. Any suggestions?
Old 12-10-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maintenance is key on any vehicle. I could post some good pics of what happens when you don't do it (and the bills that went along with them).
Most recent was a 2007 Ford F150 that came in. No maintenance done ("It's a work truck"). While it's inherently a junk engine, coolant flushes could have saved him needing a new upper intake manifold and a new head (the coolant ate away at the aluminum until it was un-saveable) equating to a $5000 bill. Instead of a $135 coolant flush at the proper interval....

From what I've read on here, some people are changing their fluids more often than necessary but lots also don't daily their cars.
Fluids do break down even just sitting so this is certainly better than not often enough.

General fluid interval recommendations:
Oil, recommended every 4 months or 5000km
Coolant, every 5 years or ~60,000km
Transmission fluid/Diff fluid (Driveline), ~100,000km or when they get discolored.
- In the 'S' I change these more often (50,000-60,000km) and at the same time just to keep it easy to remember, and they don't take a lot of fluid so it isn't expensive.
(Like 4x4s with a front diff, rear diff, transmission, and transfer case... that can get pricey all at once [if being done at a shop])

Brake/Clutch fluid, 3 years or when it gets discolored. It can be tested for moisture content/boiling point also.

As for your transmission issues...
- Hit a highway on-ramp in 2nd (maybe 3rd) gear and floor it, if your RPMs go up and you don't go any faster, you need a clutch.
- Try some new/different trans fluid. I've read people having success limiting "grinding" with different fluid.
- Changing just your clutch fluid won't yield you a difference in the problem you're having. If it's dirty/old it's damaging your hydraulic components and should be changed, but it will generally feel the same (unless you're low and have air in your system, but you'd have more complaints if that were the case).
Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 PM

Oh ok but im pretty sure im doing my coolant, brake, trans fluid. What i notice about my car is that when i drive up hill change gear, car doesnt even pull, it feels like the clutch is not grabbing at all. It happens all the time. Everytime i change gear rpm goes down and car dont even pull. All i hear is the intake sucking air.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by PwetNgManok
Oh ok but im pretty sure im doing my coolant, brake, trans fluid. What i notice about my car is that when i drive up hill change gear, car doesnt even pull, it feels like the clutch is not grabbing at all. It happens all the time. Everytime i change gear rpm goes down and car dont even pull. All i hear is the intake sucking air.
If your clutch isn't grabbing, and/or showing signs of being on it's way out, you will need to be more specific.

If the RPM's are holding while it's 'not pulling', then it's not the clutch limiting you.
If the RPM's are going up while the speed is staying steady, then it would be the clutch slipping.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM

Lolz oh ok well all i know is that car is not pulling everytime i change gear and letting go of the clutch. Plus my shifter grinds so much so im guessing thats a sign that my clutch is wearing down. Im not really familiar with this. Lolz
Old 12-11-2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by S2KSean
Maintenance is key on any vehicle. I could post some good pics of what happens when you don't do it (and the bills that went along with them). Most recent was a 2007 Ford F150 that came in. No maintenance done ("It's a work truck"). While it's inherently a junk engine, coolant flushes could have saved him needing a new upper intake manifold and a new head (the coolant ate away at the aluminum until it was un-saveable) equating to a 5000 bill. Instead of a 135 coolant flush at the proper interval.... From what I've read on here, some people are changing their fluids more often than necessary but lots also don't daily their cars. Fluids do break down even just sitting so this is certainly better than not often enough. General fluid interval recommendations: Oil, recommended every 4 months or 5000km Coolant, every 5 years or ~60,000km Transmission fluid/Diff fluid (Driveline), ~100,000km or when they get discolored. - In the 'S' I change these more often (50,000-60,000km) and at the same time just to keep it easy to remember, and they don't take a lot of fluid so it isn't expensive. (Like some 4x4s with a front diff, rear diff, transmission, and transfer case... that can get pricey all at once [if being done at a shop]) Brake/Clutch fluid, 3 years or when it gets discolored. It can be tested for moisture content/boiling point also. As for your transmission issues... - Hit a highway on-ramp in 2nd (maybe 3rd) gear and floor it, if your RPMs go up and you don't go any faster, you need a clutch. - Try some new/different trans fluid. I've read people having success limiting "grinding" with different fluid. - Changing just your clutch fluid won't yield you a difference in the problem you're having. If it's dirty/old it's damaging your hydraulic components and should be changed, but it will generally feel the same (unless you're low and have air in your system, but you'd have more complaints if that were the case).
Yup thats what happen man. I go up highway rev it and car doesnt even accelarate.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:38 PM

This isn't meant to be rude at all but in all your threads asking questions, you're not very specific (or don't word things properly).

Do you mean "...not pulling" as in a no power issue?
OR "...not pulling" like you're hitting 9000rpm but going 20km/h?

These are different scenarios leading to different problems so it helps to be as precise with your description as possible.

Like s2kDrie said:
- If your rpm RAISE when your floor it, and the vehicle speed doesn't change, your clutch is slipping and you will need a clutch job.
- If your rpm are DROPPING when you floor it, you're having a power issue, meaning more of a fueling, or sparking issue.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:02 PM

Well thats ok man. Im suck at explaining lolz. Yup i guess i need a new clutch.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM

Um, when you say you change gears going up a hill, are you upshifting or downshifting? Because if you're shifting up gears, the revs will drop and it's going to lug.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by pearl_s2k
Um, when you say you change gears going up a hill, are you upshifting or downshifting? Because if you're shifting up gears, the revs will drop and it's going to lug.
when im going up and upshifting. Car doesnt even pull. Im feeling like the clutch is not grabbing or something. Lolz

Quick Reply: Maintenance