Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Season tires?

Old 08-07-2021, 09:48 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

I Have 4S tires on mine,and I love them Hankook RS4…
Old 08-11-2021, 05:20 AM

Received 3,833 Likes on 3,043 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
There is snow-skiing in Virginia. I have driven through snow in Virginia on trips between RI and GA. There are plenty of areas in Virginia where if you're only running one set of tires all year, they best be known-good all-seasons...
Did you ever try to get through Foster/Glocester in the snow
Old 08-11-2021, 08:00 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

This thread came at a time when I'm trying to decide what to do with respect to my next set of tires. When I purchased my 04 seventeen years ago, I waited till the spring so I wouldn't have to immediately deal with buying a second set of wheels with winter tires for what would be my daily driver. Before winter set in I did go down that road and bought "high performing" Bridgestone winter tires (always seemed like an oxymoron to me). They were mounted on a nice set of SSR 5 spoke wheels that didn't make me miss my stock wheels. All these winters later, I still have the same set of tires and wheels. But the wheels are starting to look crappy, and the rear tires are near their wear bars. The rears on my Michelin summer tires also need to be replaced ... SO, for the first time I started to think about buying a good set of A/S tires, on one set of wheels, more room in the garage, no more getting the floor jack out in the cold to swap wheels -- I guess I'm just getting old.

Two comments to add to all the opinions offered in this thread: I was always impressed with the daily driving performance of my winter tires, so I'm thinking, how bad can all seasons be? And I was surprised that no one mentioned that the compounds in summer tires make them an unreliable winter tire regardless of whether there is snow on the ground.

Last edited by A4gsr; 08-11-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Model year 2000. I am happy with BF Goodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S category Ultra High Performance All-Season
In central Texas we don't get deep snow often so I just use the pickup, and these are not snow tires anyway. But we do get torrential rain in which these do very well. Takes a lot to get any aquaplaning. Very good in dry as well. Ride solid but not harsh, good mileage (for an S2000).
From tires rack good price too.
I notice tire model has been superseded by BF Goodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/SPLUS

If I still used the car for regular competition or other all-out closed-course driving I would have a different set of not-all-season tires for that.

Last edited by Gregg Lee; 08-11-2021 at 08:21 AM.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not used All-Season tires for years and years. On both my '08 S2000 and '14 Lexus IS250 I use Michelin Sport 4S for summer and Michelin X-Ice3 for Winter. I now live in Washington State but did the same when lived in Minnesota. This way you get the best performance in both seasons. I also have separate wheelsets for both cars.
The following users liked this post:
Mnstr2000 (08-15-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:07 AM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by A4gsr
This thread came at a time when I'm trying to decide what to do with respect to my next set of tires. When I purchased my 04 seventeen years ago, I waited till the spring so I wouldn't have to immediately deal with buying a second set of wheels with winter tires for what would be my daily driver. Before winter set in I did go down that road and bought "high performing" Bridgestone winter tires (always seemed like an oxymoron to me). They were mounted on a nice set of SSR 5 spoke wheels that didn't make me miss my stock wheels. All these winters later, I still have the same set of tires and wheels. But the wheels are starting to look crappy, and the rear tires are near their wear bars. The rears on my Michelin summer tires also need to be replaced ... SO, for the first time I started to think about buying a good set of A/S tires, on one set of wheels, more room in the garage, no more getting the floor jack out in the cold to swap wheels -- I guess I'm just getting old.

Two comments to add to all the opinions offered in this thread: I was always impressed with the daily driving performance of my winter tires, so I'm thinking, how bad can all seasons be? And I was surprised that no one mentioned that the compounds in summer tires make them an unreliable winter tire regardless of whether there is snow on the ground.
As a reminder - I drove my previous S2k for 5 or 6 winters with Toyo Proxes T1R summer tires... through much snow (northern Utah). It was terrifying in snow, but i kind of just got used to having to drive down the road at a slight angle. If the roads were clear/dry it wasn't scary - even with sub-freezing ground temperatures.

That all being said, again I would never at all recommend all-seasons for this car. First recommendation would be get another car that is fundamentally better for bad roads, but barring that the only option I could in good conscience suggest is 1 set of wheels for summer tires, and another set of wheels for winter tires.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:15 AM

Received 1,213 Likes on 938 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyR
I have not used All-Season tires for years and years. On both my '08 S2000 and '14 Lexus IS250 I use Michelin Sport 4S for summer and Michelin X-Ice3 for Winter. I now live in Washington State but did the same when lived in Minnesota. This way you get the best performance in both seasons. I also have separate wheelsets for both cars.
yep once living somewhere like MN with very cold winters and trying winter tires out, there is no going back Still surprised at how many balk at them and live places like this.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your S is a daily driver routinely operated in a four-season climate with temperatures below 40-45 degrees, and without a second vehicle available, using a summer compounded tire is more risky traction-wise, due to glass transition, regardless of precipitation. I've had a decent performance from Ultra High Performance All-Season tires like Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06 (have not tried the newer Plus model), and since I'm a Michelin fan, the Pilot Sport All Season 4. The Michelin's were a little squirmy when new. Of course, having a summer set and colder weather set for a daily driver in four seasons will extract maximum performance and pleasure from an S. Since it's such a light car, and you are more likely to encounter rain than any other condition, wet traction is paramount. The original equipment Bridgestone’s on earlier models like 2002 would slip at the drop of hat in rain at highway speeds and any worn tire will also. All-season tires offer better durability and pricing if warm weather performance is not your priority. Not one fits all and tradeoffs abound.
Old 08-11-2021, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tires are a mistake!

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You want All Season tires here in Virginia?! How much sub-freezing temperatures and snow do you get where you are?

All Seasons will severely degrade the S2000's handling over the proper Summer Tires.

-- Chuck
I have an AP2 in the MD suburbs of DC -pretty much same winters as VA. The guy who runs the tire shop I use once raced S2000s for Honda Racing. He was very clear. Freezing conditions will damage good summer performance tires but all seasons will ruin performance and handling. I run top end Michelin for summer and a set (all 4) of Hancock winter tires in the winter. They are strong enough to handle the freeze yet do provide grip an corners, etc
Old 08-12-2021, 06:45 AM

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Just to follow-up, after reading all the additional comments and giving it some more thought, I've decided to postpone getting old and continue with two sets of wheels and tires.

I remember watching Paul Newman on Letterman when Newman turned 70. Letterman asked him how long he would continue racing (I think he had just won a race at Lime Rock), and he replied that as long as there was blood flowing through his veins. If he can win a race at 70, I think at 71 I can still swap out my wheels twice a year.
The following 3 users liked this post by A4gsr:
Bullwings (08-12-2021), engifineer (08-12-2021), kalm_traveler (08-12-2021)

Quick Reply: All-Season tires?