Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum wheel failure after powder coating?

Old 07-28-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ploney,Jul 27 2009, 07:50 PM
I have an example of your worst suspicions...

My powdercoated AP1's are holding up just fine so far, but that's worrying.. I know what I'm doing when I get home.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim@tirerack,Jul 28 2009, 10:49 AM
It doesn't matter if they are forged or not. We had some SSR wheels that a customer sent back because they all 4 broke. He did not tell us that he had them painted. When we sent the wheels back to SSR for testing they were significantly weaker than original.
Painted or Powder Coated? Why would painted wheels have this issue? Is it because the old finish was stripped (acid, media blast)?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wOlLeyLaBeL,Jul 28 2009, 08:10 AM
doesnt volks forged monoblocks come powder coated?
Not sure really. They were just done recently and never fitted back on car. I hope mine are ok.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

When the wheel mfg's powder coat the wheels they can control the heat. They also test the wheels afterwards.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My rim is cracked after ONE track day.
I bought some used RPF1s and just noticed I have one spoke cracked.

I didnt notice the rims had been powder coated silver till later when I could see the finish wasnt the same as my last set of RPF1s. The seller never said otherwise.

Sucks cause now I dont know what to do with the rims.
Lesson learned..be careful
Old 08-20-2009, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I'm going to add is this:

Just because one set of powdercoated wheels has cracked does not mean this is an inherently unsafe means of changing the color of the stock wheels.

I've had powdercoated wheels on my S on the track with no problems (they've since been re-powdercoated, still no issues, with over 40K miles on them - cross-country, the Dragon, and driving through Manhattan on a regular basis).

The issue of wheels cracking after powdercoating could be more of a quality control issue with the place doing the coating more so than the fact that one is having wheels coated. This is similar to the crankwalk/ACT clutch debate - many of those who have developed crankwalk claim that the ACT clutch is responsible while negating that they are a proportionally small percentage of those who have ACT clutches. If there were 10 people with stock wheels that cracked after PC'ing, and there are >1000 of us with PC'd wheels, that's less than 1% cracked wheels. That's probably more indicative of poor process by the PC'er than the fallibility of PC'd wheels.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:04 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree..but if youre going to track your car, like I do, its not worth the risk.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ploney,Jul 27 2009, 03:50 PM
I have an example of your worst suspicions

AP2 V1's powder coated and autu-x'ed about 35 laps.

70% (7 of 10) spokes cracked.

3 of the 4 wheels had cracks. Worst one is pictured.

Luckily an observant friend spotted this as I was about to go out for another run!!!

WHEW!!!

That is very interesting! That is very significant, as I've never heard of a single OEM wheel spoke cracking while autocrossing otherwise.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:22 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Didn't we just have a thread on this?
Here it is: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=718603&st=50

Pretty much all sand-cast, permanant mold cast, and forged wheels, the aluminum gets its strength properties from heat-treatment. Additional heating in a powder-coating process not tailored for heat-treated aluminum alloys can GREATLY degrade the wheel's strength and fatigue life.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Aug 20 2009, 06:44 PM
All I'm going to add is this:

Just because one set of powdercoated wheels has cracked does not mean this is an inherently unsafe means of changing the color of the stock wheels.

I've had powdercoated wheels on my S on the track with no problems (they've since been re-powdercoated, still no issues, with over 40K miles on them - cross-country, the Dragon, and driving through Manhattan on a regular basis).

The issue of wheels cracking after powdercoating could be more of a quality control issue with the place doing the coating more so than the fact that one is having wheels coated. This is similar to the crankwalk/ACT clutch debate - many of those who have developed crankwalk claim that the ACT clutch is responsible while negating that they are a proportionally small percentage of those who have ACT clutches. If there were 10 people with stock wheels that cracked after PC'ing, and there are >1000 of us with PC'd wheels, that's less than 1% cracked wheels. That's probably more indicative of poor process by the PC'er than the fallibility of PC'd wheels.
Your logic is accurate, but the comparison between the need to powdercoat wheels and the need to run an upgraded clutch is not an apples to apples comparison. There is no real need to powdercoat wheels. You could just have them painted. People who run an upgraded clutch typically do so because they need to replace the oem clutch for either a FI or track application. Even though both have low rates of failure, one is more necessary than the other. Your comparison is kind of like saying "the death rate from having plastic surgery is 1% and the death rate from having surgery to fix a hernia is 1%. Therefore both are equally dangerous." The percentages may be the same but one surgery is much more necessary than the other.

Quick Reply: Aluminum wheel failure after powder coating?